Help with DCR250

Edit My Images
No
Im looking for a bit of advice with the DCR250.

Ive recently got one and not been able to get much time playing with it but had another quick go last night. What im finding is i have such a minimal amount of area in focus. When trying to photography some bugs last night about 2cm in length i could only get a tiny part of them in focus. Ive seen images in the DCR250 thread with some fantastic images with all the critter in focus etc.

Am i doing something wrong? or is it to do with the lens im attaching it to?

Im attaching a set of the photo's from last night that hopefully illustrate my issue. These are all hand held with a breeze so none of these are good quality at all but hopefully highlight what im waffling about!

DSC_0065.jpg

DSC_0066.jpg

DSC_0067.jpg

DSC_0068.jpg

DSC_0069.jpg

DSC_0070.jpg

Any help appreciated.

Matt

What aperture have you used for these? If you use a diffused flash, you can use a smaller aperture and when you're really close to your subject you need the smaller aperture to increase the DOF (depth of field)
I'm pretty new myself but I've been using from f16 to f22 on manual with a shutter speed of about 1/200 with a flash thats diffused.
Hope that's of some help.
Thanks
Paul

Looks pretty normal sort of DOF to me Matt, you could stop down the lens to something like f/14 or so and you'll get a bit more, but you really don't get much. The only other option is to focus stack a number of images.

Thanks guys, pretty sure i was on Aperature priority at F.8. It was shooting at about 1/125. No flash as i only have the on camera flash and it was massively blowing out the images. Will try stepping it down further.

You can use the on camera flash, take a look at the "show us your macro rig" sticky thread on the macro and close up section. There are plenty of examples of using the built in flash with home made diffusers made out of milk cartons and all sorts. Theres plenty of advice on the settings to use too. I've made myself a diffuser out of a Pringles tube, you'll see that on there as well, it gets some funny looks but it works :D

I have had a quick look on there. I decided to go on a quick bike ride when i got home from work yesterday and just grabbed my camera bag when i left. But i will give making one a bash when i get some free time (whatever that is!)

Back