Help With Dog Breed Please.

Name
Paul
Edit My Images
Yes
My mothers friend has a couple of dogs (bitches) to be precise & they are rescue dogs.
They came over to the Isle Of Wight after being abandoned on Ireland & had
a pretty hard time.

She has had them a couple of years now & she is still unsure of their breed.

Some say, whippet, greyhound etc but I think they may have a little Doberman in them
due to the shape of the head :thinking:

The vet thinks they are between 2 & 3yrs of age.

Any thoughts?

AngelasDogsPt2-7.jpg

AngelasDogsPt2-6.jpg

The trouble with lurcher types is that there are so many breeds thrown into the
mix that they really could be anything
The face on the second shot looks a little like my Saluki x Greyhound, but really
who knows?

The one on the right (1st pic) looks a little heavy on the front end, there may even
be a bit of Staffie in there ( not an uncommon addition for deer coursing)

Beautiful doggies. Definately lurchers, some greyhound in there. I doubt there's any Stafford in them though, unless its several generations back through the bloodlines. ;);)

Lisa x

I would say there is some Border Collie in them too :) In fact I would go as far as to say they are Grey Hound x Border Collies.

A lurcher is not a recognized breed of dog by the kennel club, it is a type of dog, going back to the days when it was illegal for any commoner to own a greyhound, so the commoners used to cross a greyhound with a field dog and were safe from getting in trouble.
The greyhound is in the class of sighthound dogs, pretty self explatary, they use their eyes rather than anything else for hunting, and with the introduction of foreign sighthounds, Saluki, Afghan etc. and latterly deerhounds etc, theses were included into the lurcher class when crossed.
Generally there are 2 types of lurcher, one is a sighthound crossed with any pastoral dog (a sheepdog, collie, rough collie, etc) and the other a sighthound crossed with a terrier (ground dog).
Consequently further crossing has lead to the sort of dog your mum has, I believe it is a lurcher cross, and I agree the ears look like Saluki (they are generally mad and have poor recall).
Generally these dogs are lazy at home and run like the wind when out, and will usually lean against your leg when standing for extra support.
There is a strain of greyhound that almost allways has a spot on its tounge, it may also be present in its cross offspring.
Your mum has probably the best type of dog you could ever wish to own, I would never be without one.

Generally these dogs are lazy at home and run like the wind when out, and will usually lean against your leg when standing for extra support.

The above is very typical of the dog on the left.

She will just keep on going regardless & has a fascination with birds. I reckon she
would fall off a cliff because she is so fast & wreckless.

The other is more laid back & will return to handler when called.

Thanks for all the comments, I will pass on the info to the owner later (y)

Difficult without any size reference in shot whippet mix is in there too.

i would say there is lot of whippet in there but agree that in the first picture the dog at the back has a fairly stocky chest and thicker/stocker neck that i would expect to see in a whippet so i would say they are whippet cross although it is impossible to tell what the breed is for sure without expensive tests!

Who cares what the exact breed is though, they are beautiful what ever they are and good on your mum's friend for getting rescued dogs!!(y):clap:

A lurcher is not a recognized breed of dog by the kennel club, it is a type of dog, going back to the days when it was illegal for any commoner to own a greyhound, so the commoners used to cross a greyhound with a field dog and were safe from getting in trouble.
The greyhound is in the class of sighthound dogs, pretty self explatary, they use their eyes rather than anything else for hunting, and with the introduction of foreign sighthounds, Saluki, Afghan etc. and latterly deerhounds etc, theses were included into the lurcher class when crossed.
Generally there are 2 types of lurcher, one is a sighthound crossed with any pastoral dog (a sheepdog, collie, rough collie, etc) and the other a sighthound crossed with a terrier (ground dog).
Consequently further crossing has lead to the sort of dog your mum has, I believe it is a lurcher cross, and I agree the ears look like Saluki (they are generally mad and have poor recall).
There is a strain of greyhound that almost allways has a spot on its tounge, it may also be present in its cross offspring.
Your mum has probably the best type of dog you could ever wish to own, I would never be without one.

thanks for that information, especially the bit about the spot on the tongue
my Mrs has a Lurcher called Morph & he has a spot on his tongue, i never knew it would be a hereditary thing. amazing what you can find out with a bit of browsing (y)
i'm more of a cat person but i do like dogs & spend a lot of time with Morph & he often comes out with us. nice easy going dogs (y)

The one on the right (1st pic) looks a little heavy on the front end, there may even
be a bit of Staffie in there ( not an uncommon addition for deer coursing)

I agree, there looks to be a bit of staffie in there. I had a whippet, greyhound staffie cross and she was quite simaller build to these two. I'd say they're mostly whippet, but the heavyer build suggests there's some mix of a broader dog.

Can I add Weimaraner to the mix :) Can see it especially with the left dog!

I couldn't say one way or the other, except that being Irish originally the only "breed" is lurcher.

My Mum has a couple too, lab/greyhound mix, who are gorgeous.

Back