Help with DSLR purchase please

Name
Shaheed
Edit My Images
No
Hi people

I have two full frame nikons (d750 and d800) and previously had a d90

My eldest daughter had a canon point and shoot which had now stopped working.

She would love a dslr

Looking to buy second hand.

Very tempted by an old d90. Is this nostalgia on my part or should I be looking more at d3200/d3300

Would welcome other folk's opinions

Ta

A D90 may be better over the D3200/ D3300, as most would probably say. I did have a chance to go for a D90, but opted for a D3300. I know the D90 would have been better, as regards to more choice of lenses. But for me, the higher ISO performance of the D3300 is what done it for me.

Oh and the video quality of the D3300 swayed me enormously.

Last edited:
In terms of IQ the D3300/3200 would be better. More DR, better colour depth, much higher res and despite the res has better noise handling. The D3300/3200 is much lighter too.

The D90 has a better viewfinder, and focus motor if those things are important. Not sure which has the better AF system.

I would say the menu access on the d90 would be beyter

Forgot about the lightweight aspect. I only have one lens that requires a body with a built in motor.

That said the lighter d3xxx might be better although she did use my d90 previously.

D90 is a good camera had mine for years also the D60, for the cheapness of them now although discontinued were a great option. Sold my D90 but for some reason I cant seem to part with my D60 even though it sits on a shelf collecting dust still only has 25000 on the shutter.

The d7000 is probably a few pounds too far as I would also have to get some lenses
Just thinking that the on body controls would offer more scope for learning/speed of use etc (at least on the technical side)... lens choice is possibly more important, but if money permits maybe the 16-85 VR, it is still a very decent lens even though it has been replaced.

I used a D90 for 3 years, mostly with the 16-85 VRII, and would recommend this combo to anyone. It may lose out in ISO and video but it's still capable of very good images and IMHO it's ergonomically better than the 3XXX series - better to hold and having front and rear wheels makes it so much easier to change aperture and shutter speed.

D90 and an 18-70 I think will be the ticket for my eldest. To be fair the d90 was my first camera when I started as a novice so it should be plenty for her to learn on. Plus I'll be familiar with it if she had any questions!

I've not used the 18-70 before but people seem to rate it highly. Would have loved another tamron 17-50f2.8 non vc but can't find one!!

There is a Samyang at mpb which I may buy "for my daughter" [emoji23][emoji23]

Look forward to some more portraits from "your daughter's 85" :)

Look forward to some more portraits from "your daughter's 85" :)

I'm holding off for now. I may change my mind later though. It added 200 quid to the package which I (by which I mean my wife) can't justify!! It bought a film camera recently so I'm out of goodwill from SWMBO!!

Although future lens purchases can be "shared" with my daughter [emoji23][emoji23]

Bless my eldest daughter. She appreciated that it's a very grown up camera and she's given me 70 quid of her savings as the lens was extra on top of what we agreed!

I've told her that I've got her a good starter lens and if she wants to do macro shots, she can borrow my raynox 250. She got quite excited when I told her she would be able to connect the camera to studio lights!

I also explained that I knew nothing about photography when I bought my d90 so this was the perfect camera to learn with. Also she's had a couple of tries with it years ago when I owned one.

Pleased with my choice and may add some prime lenses for her later (35/50/85 f1.8) and maybe a zoom 70-300.

Bless my eldest daughter. She appreciated that it's a very grown up camera and she's given me 70 quid of her savings as the lens was extra on top of what we agreed!

I've told her that I've got her a good starter lens and if she wants to do macro shots, she can borrow my raynox 250. She got quite excited when I told her she would be able to connect the camera to studio lights!

I also explained that I knew nothing about photography when I bought my d90 so this was the perfect camera to learn with. Also she's had a couple of tries with it years ago when I owned one.

Pleased with my choice and may add some prime lenses for her later (35/50/85 f1.8) and maybe a zoom 70-300.
Will you be my dad too? :D

Back