Help with eyes

magicaxeman

An Idiot
Edit My Images
No
I feel I need to ask for some advice now.

As some may know I shoot low light portraits using available light rather than flash and mainly self portraits.

I'm rather fond of a slightly under exposed, grainy black and white effect to the finished photo and shoot a lot at ISO 3200.

I find that I cannot seem to get clear and sharp eyes no matter what I try, and even though my eyes are damaged and do not have clear whites surrounding the pupil I would like to get better definition.
Focus point is always on the eyes.
Camera is a 500D, lens usually the Tamron 17-50mm F2.8.

Any idea's, tips or tricks that don't involve lower ISO and flash?

Here is an example, exif should be intact.

glare850reworkfixed.jpg

I would say Ian - the focus doesn't look like it is on the eyes - either that or you haven't applied sharpening on conversion if you shot RAW.

I think the fact you have used high ISO for the grain doesn't help - with that much grain your edges are going to be broken so it's difficult to get it looking as you want it.

Eliminate the first posibility by shooting with a narrow aperture so you know the eyes are in focus (to the camera at least). See how that looks. If it doesn't help then I think the grain is your problem and you might need to shoot lower ISO and add grain to the picture in PP.

I would say Ian - the focus doesn't look like it is on the eyes - either that or you haven't applied sharpening on conversion if you shot RAW.

I think the fact you have used high ISO for the grain doesn't help - with that much grain your edges are going to be broken so it's difficult to get it looking as you want it.

Eliminate the first posibility by shooting with a narrow aperture so you know the eyes are in focus (to the camera at least). See how that looks. If it doesn't help then I think the grain is your problem and you might need to shoot lower ISO and add grain to the picture in PP.

+1

Doesn't work for me. Why shoot at ISO3200? You're enot going to get the best quality image. Also why under expose> That won't help.

By all means edit to get ythe look you are after but shoot at a lower ISO, get the exposure corerct and add grain, reduce exposure in PP.

The 500D is not your body if you need to shoot high-ISO's. Drop the ISO then add the grain in post-processing, so that you have all the detail there at the start, rather than having it unrecoverable from the outset.

The 500D is not your body if you need to shoot high-ISO's. Drop the ISO then add the grain in post-processing, so that you have all the detail there at the start, rather than having it unrecoverable from the outset.

+1

Tip for afterwards, try the Dodge tool in PS.

Hope you don't mind I had alittle go to see what I might be able to do in PSP. I've just used the smudge tool set to a fairly low opacity and smoothed out the noise in the whites, which has given the iris a lot more definition even though I've left the grain in them.

See what you think. Lower opacity might work better, or might just make them grey!

glare850reworkfixed.jpg

I'm in the same boat, my eyes are permanently damaged, haven't been white in years.

try lucozade...or do some pp as shown and do it gently bently
also adding grain could be the answer

what on earth are you smoking old chap...that could be affecting your eyes
cheers
geof

glare850reworkfixed by mrcrow_uk, on Flickr

dodged them a bit

Last edited:
Thanks guys..

I'm also shooting ISO 3200 as the shots are done in low light, ie lit with a 40 watt bulb and didn't want to use flash.

I like the dodge idea and look, I'll give it a go.

Its just golden virginia geof, no errr additives lol.

Also. it's a very slow shutter speed!

Back