Help with film scanners

***Guys, just to wade in on the longevity of digital storage, I think some of you have drastically missed the point.***

So how do you inform Joe Public, also I wonder what the losses are so far for digital media because of hard drive crashes, dodgy CD's, memory cards failing and so on, and what about all those prints from ink jets on cheap paper with no backup of JPG's.

I don't want to hijack the OP's thread too much. I don't purport to know how to convince people to think about their actions and realise the stupidity of not backing up, nor to convince people not to print pics on A4 paper then delete the original file. If I had that wisdom, I'd be out stopping wars and suchlike :naughty:

I only purport to have the expertise to confirm that with a little drag-and-drop, digital will last forever. Guaranteed.

I don't want to hijack the OP's thread too much. I don't purport to know how to convince people to think about their actions and realise the stupidity of not backing up, nor to convince people not to print pics on A4 paper then delete the original file. If I had that wisdom, I'd be out stopping wars and suchlike :naughty:

I only purport to have the expertise to confirm that with a little drag-and-drop, digital will last forever. Guaranteed.

Well your advice is not fool proof and is preaching to the converted.......and as the saying goes "If it can happen, it will happen".

Well your advice is not fool proof and is preaching to the converted.......and as the saying goes "If it can happen, it will happen".

My original post was because a few people here seemed to think the fact that digital media degrades over the years, means they will inevitably loose all their pics when it goes, therefore they don't like digital.

My objective was to explain the concept that you're meant to losslessly move your pics with you from one media to another as things progress. I was correcting a missaprehension, not saying you can't loose pics if you want to :)

have you considered that if someone is that foolish they might as well lose their pics, this is where intelligent photographers talk. Anyone with an eye for composition must have enough of a mind to know to backup.

I don't give a rats about joe public tbh

I have a Canon 8800F and I'm very happy with it, however it is too slow for that kind of work.
The quality is very good, but it certainly can't be compared with an expensive scanner.

Back