Help with football pix please.

Name
Trev
Edit My Images
Yes
OK obviously a better lens and camera will help.
But the basics, I have taken a lot of shots of grass roots football, there's nothing that can be done about the backgrounds, but the players / spectators understand that they are grass roots, not in a stadium if you get my meaning.
So the actual action itself. I have progressed a lot since I started but my images are still way off the mark in my opinion.
Will getting lower help? any advise welcome and will take it all on board for Satudays game.
Thanks in advance.

home_westover_1207_img_2148.jpg

home_westover_1207_img_2210.jpg

home_westover_1207_img_2211.jpg

home_westover_1207_img_2218.jpg

I think faster glass is the answer. I tried similar stuff a few times with my 70-300 VR and came away with similar results, in fact if I'm honest my attempts were nowhere near as good as these.

Hi
I know what you mean about backgrounds getting lower ie siting on grass will help with the background a bit, I try to take the action front on to the players and always ensure the ball is in the shot as well, change to AI Servo to help with the focus. the players at that level just like loads of photos and shots of themselves so a sequence of the goal whilst not technally brilliant will make the scores day. Let them know you are there and often than not will pose once they have scored, But concentrate on action, tackles etc with the ball in shot. good luck

Yea these are nice, when i get a longer lens really wanna try some sport stuff, Larger aperture and these will be even better, keep it up!

not bad a few things you can do to improve what you have

First of all make sure your horizons are level nothing worse than the pitch looking like its on the side of a mountain.

secondly get a small stool to sit on get low to the action will give your images real impact.
A few examples of what I'm talking about
2683115300_c2617afec3_o.jpg

2682297811_61ce7c54ff_o.jpg

2683114718_ebd04499a5_o.jpg

Have you pushed the contrast on these as the black has no detail left in it at all?

also take advantage of weekend games while the light is good soon it wont be long till ill be struggling to get 1/200 at f2.8 at 3200 iso so make the most of what you can!

Cheers Zilly, jst a small stool? I thought they looked lower than that but if thats all it takes to get low then I'm there!
And yes I did push the contrast probably a little too much.

Thanks for the advice.

Hi Trev I'm no expert but the best advice I got on here (for Rugby at least) was crop in on the action.

Comparing your shots to zilly's theres some space at the top and the bottom of the shots. And yes the black level looks a little overdone IMO.

Sorry forgot to say you've got a good eye for the action and the 'moment' though... 3 and 4 show some potential.

Cheers Zilly, jst a small stool? I thought they looked lower than that but if thats all it takes to get low then I'm there!
And yes I did push the contrast probably a little too much.

Thanks for the advice.

yep small stool is more than suitable. I have a pelican hard case that i sit on that puts my backside about 5 inches off the ground which works well and saves having to carry excess equipment but the normal colapsable stools that sell for a couple of quid do the job nicely

Ill second Freester as well keep at it your certainly showing promise

Back