help with Id please

Name
David
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi ,
got a shot of this duck last night with ducklings but was at fair range in failing light , cant find it anywhere in Collins book , on the loch so shouldn't be something exotic released. Brown head and yellow on neck in case my photo is so poor if that helps. will try for better shots from other approach tonight.

5739804783_6e2b0d1845.jpg
[/url][/IMG]

5740355182_88afe8846c.jpg
[/url][/IMG]

thanks

The head shape is like Goldeneye family but don't recognise colouring :-(

It is a female goldeneye.

It is a female goldeneye.

Of all the pictures I've seen of the female goldeneye it has a brown head and grey body, with a bright gold coloured eye.

It certainly looks like a Goldeneye but the yellow colouration is weird. Is this an artefact of the photo or was it really like that?

definitely yellow , really bright yellow neck and wings flecked with yellow. Head was a chocolate brown , looked like ducklings were of similiar marking , yellow around neck.
I thought goldeneye from the eye but then the colours were wrong :thinking:
thanks for all the replies
will post more if get better shots

It is a female Goldeneye, but that yellow colouring is weird. I wonder if its plumage has become stained at some point?

Do you think the peaty water and silt could stain it to that extent ?? might be a possibility but looked too yellow and bright .

Hi all ,
confirmed as Goldeneye by local birder , apparently there is a colour program going on up here to help follow breeding population , I still dont know if they have been stained or whether it is a genetic modification

It sounds like it must be a colour-dye program. Typically people use coloured rings to track birds but I suppose you never see a Goldeneye's legs!

Back