Beginner Help with lightroom

Edit My Images
Yes
I am not well versed in the aspects of lightroom 6.

Can anyone recommend a good book on the subject?

I know you can watch utube videos on the subject however my problem is that the people explaining the
Video is that they assume you have some degree of knowledge of lightroom. I find that as a complete beginner in
this programme is that they start off ok but while you are at step 3 all of sudden they at step 10 and no matter
how many times I go back I still can't follow and eventually get frustrated and I will give up.

Any help would be great..t

Tom

Start by deciding what you want to learn, "everything" is too generic. Pick a topic from one of the videos that interests you and look for alternative tutorials on the same topic if you don't get on with that one.

There are lots of good videos about, as listed above, though TBH I don't know how anyone can really gets to grips with everything Lightroom can do without book for a) learning logically and comprehensively, b) for future reference.

I think a lot of people muddle through a bit, find out the stuff they need for the work they do with trial and error plus a few videos, and leave it at that. And that's fine, but they're probably not working in the best or most efficient way, and there will be a lot of stuff in there that they'll never know about.

Scott Kelby is the most popular author and I have a few of his books (y) https://www.amazon.co.uk/Photoshop-...4954100&sr=1-3&keywords=scott+kelby+lightroom

There are lots of good videos about, as listed above, though TBH I don't know how anyone can really gets to grips with everything Lightroom can do without book for a) learning logically and comprehensively, b) for future reference.

I think a lot of people muddle through a bit, find out the stuff they need for the work they do with trial and error plus a few videos, and leave it at that. And that's fine, but they're probably not working in the best or most efficient way, and there will be a lot of stuff in there that they'll never know about.

Scott Kelby is the most popular author and I have a few of his books (y) https://www.amazon.co.uk/Photoshop-...4954100&sr=1-3&keywords=scott+kelby+lightroom

The Scott Kelby book is very good. Tackle it in order and it all starts to make sense (though I still hate some of LR's quirks!). Would say it's a very good starting point.

Give Phlearn a look, they have a few free in depth tutorials, if you want to pay then Tony Northrup has some really good books (and I think some free videos)

These videos is what I used to start learning lightroom. It may be lightroom 4 but quite a lot of it still applies to the latest versions of lightroom as the basics of lightroom has stayed relatively the same. There are 17.5hrs of free videos broken down into small chunks so you can quickly check one aspect of lightroom rather than the whole thing.

http://en.elephorm.com/tuto-lightroom-4-complete-training.html

I have tried the Adobe site noticed that they are all by Terry White but he is one of the ones I can't
seem to follow as I think he jumps steps and I find that I get left behind.
I am under the impression that they assume you already have some knowledge of the programme
where I want to start from beginning and I have got only one PC so can't watch and try at the same time.....

Maybe it's just an age thing.....

Last edited:
I have tried the Adobe site noticed that they are all by Terry White but he is one of the ones I can't
seem to follow as I think he jumps steps and I find that I get left behind.
I am under the impression that they assume you already have some knowledge of the programme
where I want to start from beginning and I have got only one PC so can't watch and try at the same time.....

Maybe it's just an age thing.....
Pause, alt-tab ;) alt-tab, play

I just revived the June - Digital Camera Magazine and it has a free DVD "Teach Yourself Lightroom" 55 part course.I haven't watched it but for £5 it may help you and you get a decent read as well !

Thanks for the information you have sent me. Was in the local shop so I have got it.
Unfortunately I have got to look after the grandkids today and tomorrow so can't watch it at the moment.
I will let you know what I think later..

Tom

if you want major training then Kelbyone is probably the best but a paid subscription, however you get 10 days free to do as much as you want

If you have an iPad the teach yourself set for Lightroom is great and gives you everything you need to touch up your photos

All i did was put in basic beginers lightroom in youtube on my tablet with head phones in, then pause it and follow them along with my own photo on my apple mac and take notes.

I found Youtube videos to be the most help to, i'm a very visual learner though.

Back