1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. tom1946

tom1946

Edit My Images:
    Yes
    I am not well versed in the aspects of lightroom 6.

Can anyone recommend a good book on the subject?

I know you can watch utube videos on the subject however my problem is that the people explaining the
    Video is that they assume you have some degree of knowledge of lightroom. I find that as a complete beginner in
    this programme is that they start off ok but while you are at step 3 all of sudden they at step 10 and no matter
    how many times I go back I still can't follow and eventually get frustrated and I will give up.

Any help would be great..t

Tom

salmonking likes this.
  2. Leroy4bz

Leroy4bz

Name:
    Leroy
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    Keebsuk and DirtyLeeds like this.
  3. Alastair

Alastair

Edit My Images:
    No
    Start by deciding what you want to learn, "everything" is too generic. Pick a topic from one of the videos that interests you and look for alternative tutorials on the same topic if you don't get on with that one.

Keebsuk and Leroy4bz like this.
  4. tom1946

tom1946

Edit My Images:
    Yes
    Thanks leroy4bz will have a look at these sites...

5. HoppyUK

HoppyUK

Name:
    Richard
    Edit My Images:
    No
    There are lots of good videos about, as listed above, though TBH I don't know how anyone can really gets to grips with everything Lightroom can do without book for a) learning logically and comprehensively, b) for future reference.

I think a lot of people muddle through a bit, find out the stuff they need for the work they do with trial and error plus a few videos, and leave it at that. And that's fine, but they're probably not working in the best or most efficient way, and there will be a lot of stuff in there that they'll never know about.

Scott Kelby is the most popular author and I have a few of his books (y) https://www.amazon.co.uk/Photoshop-...4954100&sr=1-3&keywords=scott+kelby+lightroom

Keebsuk likes this.
  6. Craig1912

Craig1912

Edit My Images:
    Yes
    Keebsuk likes this.
  7. gad-westy

gad-westy

Name:
    Graham
    Edit My Images:
    No
    The Scott Kelby book is very good. Tackle it in order and it all starts to make sense (though I still hate some of LR's quirks!). Would say it's a very good starting point.

8. Terrry

Terrry

Name:
    Terry
    Edit My Images:
    No
    Give Phlearn a look, they have a few free in depth tutorials, if you want to pay then Tony Northrup has some really good books (and I think some free videos)

Keebsuk likes this.
  9. rob-nikon

rob-nikon

Name:
    Rob
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    These videos is what I used to start learning lightroom. It may be lightroom 4 but quite a lot of it still applies to the latest versions of lightroom as the basics of lightroom has stayed relatively the same. There are 17.5hrs of free videos broken down into small chunks so you can quickly check one aspect of lightroom rather than the whole thing.

http://en.elephorm.com/tuto-lightroom-4-complete-training.html

10. tom1946

tom1946

Edit My Images:
    Yes
    I have tried the Adobe site noticed that they are all by Terry White but he is one of the ones I can't
    seem to follow as I think he jumps steps and I find that I get left behind.
    I am under the impression that they assume you already have some knowledge of the programme
    where I want to start from beginning and I have got only one PC so can't watch and try at the same time.....

Maybe it's just an age thing.....

Last edited: May 17, 2017
  11. Phil V

Phil V

Name:
    Phil
    Edit My Images:
    No
    Pause, alt-tab ;) alt-tab, play

12. morph1909

morph1909

Edit My Images:
    Yes
    I just revived the June - Digital Camera Magazine and it has a free DVD "Teach Yourself Lightroom" 55 part course.I haven't watched it but for £5 it may help you and you get a decent read as well !

13. tom1946

tom1946

Edit My Images:
    Yes
    Thanks for the information you have sent me. Was in the local shop so I have got it.
    Unfortunately I have got to look after the grandkids today and tomorrow so can't watch it at the moment.
    I will let you know what I think later..

Tom

14. Nostromo

Nostromo

Name:
    Dominic
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    Take a look at julieanne kost on YouTube, she's very easy to understand.

Keebsuk likes this.
  15. littleted

littleted

Name:
    Rob
    Edit My Images:
    No
    if you want major training then Kelbyone is probably the best but a paid subscription, however you get 10 days free to do as much as you want

If you have an iPad the teach yourself set for Lightroom is great and gives you everything you need to touch up your photos

16. GreenNinja67

GreenNinja67

Name:
    Terry
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    I always buy Scott Kelby's books.................... then hardly ever read them.

But I buy them.

17. tijuana taxi

tijuana taxi

Name:
    Rich
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    Keebsuk likes this.
  18. Mighty_Blighty

Mighty_Blighty

Edit My Images:
    No
    Keebsuk and davidheath56 like this.
  19. trevjm

trevjm

Name:
    Trev
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    +1

An excellent book for a beginner with LR. I have used it many times to explain the various elements of LR and how to achieve good results.

20. Damo88

Damo88

Name:
    Damen
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    All i did was put in basic beginers lightroom in youtube on my tablet with head phones in, then pause it and follow them along with my own photo on my apple mac and take notes.

21. epicfx

epicfx

Name:
    Rich
    Edit My Images:
    No
    I found Youtube videos to be the most help to, i'm a very visual learner though.

22. jerry12953

jerry12953

Name:
    Jeremy Moore
    Edit My Images:
    No
    You don't necessarily need to know everything at first. I started off with v2 and got Martin Evening's guide at the time and since then I've mainly learned by trial and error. Every so often I still come across a feature that has been there all the time but is new to me.

Keebsuk likes this.