help with local football pics.

Name
kevin
Edit My Images
Yes
Been asked to take photos for a small local team so they can put on to there website, having never taken pics of football before im looking for hints and tips, will be shooting with a 120-300 2.8 sigma and d300.

i normally take wildlife so im on a steep learning curve.

regards

Shoot from a low point of view, so sitting rather than standing, fronts of players, filling the frame with the ball in the picture..shoot at 2.8 to get nice background separation and a shutter of 800+ if you can.

I'm no expert but that's good advice from Mr. Fish, all I can add is make sure your camera is set to high speed continuous shooting, try and get shots of the fronts of players (not their backs), for positioning, I would be either level with the 18 yard line (on the touchline) or behind the goal line to one side.

I'm no expert but that's good advice from Mr. Fish, all I can add is make sure your camera is set to high speed continuous shooting, try and get shots of the fronts of players (not their backs), for positioning, I would be either level with the 18 yard line (on the touchline) or behind the goal line to one side.

Yup and AI-Servo (Continuos focusing or whatever its called on a Nikon). If i can, i usually go behind the goal between the edge of the box and corner flag. Good location for goals and cele's.

thank you for tips guys, im looking forward to the challenge. monopod is the way forward as well i expect!

Keep your eyes open as to what's going on elsewhere during the game too Kev, fans, referees, managers all make for great images.

Keep your eyes open as to what's going on elsewhere during the game too Kev, fans, referees, managers all make for great images.

Yeh, look out for refs getting hit in the plums then falling over in a heap :D

8481545749_277029ca9e_n.jpg

lol nice one there baz!

just bought a lensmaster RH2, looking forward to trying it out this thursday a first training session.

just bought a lensmaster RH2, looking forward to trying it out this thursday a first training session.
Why, thats a stupid amount of money to be spending on something you dont need if youre shooting a little local footy, please tell me you are also heavily into Nature photography and have some seriously big and heavy lenses.

You only need to attach a £30 monopod directly to the tripod foot of your Sigma 120-300mm :thinking:

It is a bit of an overkill for sport with the 120-300 but I noticed in your first post that you also shoot wildlife, so i guess it will kill two birds with one stone so to speak.

It is a bit of an overkill for sport with the 120-300 but I noticed in your first post that you also shoot wildlife, so i guess it will kill two birds with one stone so to speak.
Think Kev must have bought it more for the nature/wildlife type of stuff, its not something anyone would use as a first choice for shooting any kind of field sports

Yes i bought it more for wildlife and nature as i intend to get a 500mm or 600mm shortly. so thought i would kill 2 birds so to speak!

Mind you with some players it's difficult to separate them from wildlife :LOL:

Naughty! naughty!

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes i bought it more for wildlife and nature as i intend to get a 500mm or 600mm shortly. so thought i would kill 2 birds so to speak!
Still going to be way, way better shooting footy with a Monopod, you look to have a decent gear list Kev so make your life easier and spend the extra £30 or do and get a pod.

Got a 681B manfrotto monopod, but thread is too big for collar on siggy!

Does it not push in to reveal a smaller one when you push the collar on it ?

I can hold my hand up and say i never knew it did, but yes you are correct. thank you!

lol, now to find that 500mm or 600mm.

got there first game on wednesday night< lets hope the weather holds up.

Dont need a monopod for a 300mm

You might not ;) ...

...but for most people - 90-100 solid minutes of hand-holding a 300mm f2.8 to your eye results in poorer images - especially towards the end of the halves than if you simply used a monopod.

haha, i find them far to restrictive especially at football.
only time id use one is if its a Prem match and im stuck behind a goal like a sardine.

Last edited:
I couldn't be without one, can't see how you can juggle 2 bodies quickly and not use one. Pod over shoulder, hands free for body with the 70-200 on

depends.. a canon 300 2.8 at footy.. needs a monopod here.. a canon 300 f4 ...lighter than the 70-200 doesnt need a monopod...

dunno about nikon ones...

I couldn't be without one, can't see how you can juggle 2 bodies quickly and not use one. Pod over shoulder, hands free for body with the 70-200 on

Yeah it can be tricky.
I was always advised not to use one on a 300.
On a 400 , you come off the 400 alot sooner than a 300. so its alot easier to switch over.
With the 300 your getting to the edge of the box before you need to change over, which is too much of a risk of missing the shot.
I sit far enough away from the goal so the 300 gets the goal, and keep the 70-200 on your lap for the cele if it comes to you.

Back