Beginner Help with lumix GF7 Zoom lenses

Name
Sefton
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi i have just brought my first camera with interchangeable lenses. My daughter does a lot of swimming competitions and the lens the camera came with has 12 - 32 doesnt get close enough to the action in either photo or video mode. Can any one reccomend a good budget lens that will work in both modes?
Many thanks
Syd

Panasonic 45-150 or 45-200. The latter has been around longer and there are plenty of secondhand examples around. It will give a 35mm equivalent of 400mm which should get you close enough.

A real budget alternative would be a manual lens from a 35mm camera with a suitable adapter. However, you'll only have limited functionality (only aperture priority metering and manual focus).

I have been looking at the 150 and the 200 and leaning towards the 200 for the exra zoom capabilities.
Thanks for your advice
Syd

I've got the 45-150. I went for this one as it's a bit smaller and lighter than the 200 version. I can cope with the loss of a bit of extra range.

Syd : the 45-200 is decent and fairly cheap but I find it a bit big for carrying around.
At swimming events it would be perfect.
For carrying in my bag I use the even cheaper but just as good Olympus 40-150mm which is smaller and much lighter in weight.
The Panasonic 45-150mm is another option as Chalfont mentioned.

Prices seem to be around £160 new and £90 for second hand. I think im leaning towards the 2nd hand 200, which will be handy for some other sports that i watch and then maybe get the 150 if i find the 200 to cumbersome. I will need to get cases for the new lens and the current one so they dont get scrated in the bag.
So much to learn, but imooking forwafd fo learning about manual focusing and getting away from the auto settings.

Thanks for the help guys
Syd

I have a couple of "proper" lens pouches (one Nikon, one Panasonic) but I also use the small cloth bag that came with some leather item. As long as you don't bash your stuff about it should be fine.

Would i be correct in presuming that the panasonic four thirds lenses are made in japan?

Thanks
Syd

I can only answer based on my own lenses but only my 14 and 20mm primes were MIJ, the zooms were made in China. Don't let that put you off though.

Would i be correct in presuming that the panasonic four thirds lenses are made in japan?

Thanks
Syd

Where things are made means nothing any more, every country is capable of making outstanding products. What matters more is the manufacturers approach to process control.

When buying M43 lenses you need to consider which body you are using them with. Panasonic put the image stabilisation in the lens ( there are a few exceptions). Olympus put the image stabilisation in the body. So if you have a Panasonic body buy a stabilised Panasonic lens. Stabilisation is important when using long focal lengths. Remember that 200mm lens on a M43 will equal 400mm if it was full frame due to the sensor "crop factor"

How do you like your 12-32mm. I'm looking to buy one myself.

Back