Help with my Sony Alpha a330

Edit My Images
No
Hi a few months ago, I purchased a Sony Alpha a330.

I like taking pictures of moving objects, however, when I go to review them on my laptop, they become blurry.

Somone suggested, that I have a higher shutter speed, which I am happy doing, however, the pictures come out too dark, is there a way of having a higher shutter speed, as well as a nice light picture?

Do I need to purchase a flashgun?

And finally, how do the professionals, when they take a picture, it appears on their laptop straight away, via a cable?

Can I do that? Or do I need a software?

Thanks

You need a higher shutter speed but you need to compensate the shutter speed by aperture and/or ISO. It depends what you take pictures of, whether or not you need a flash gun. Scenery you need a tripod (a shutter release cable is a good idea too!) anything indoors and you need a flash gun. Of course these are very general statements, there are exceptions to the rules.

To maintain the same level of exposure, for any increase in shutter speed, there should be a corresponding widening of the aperture (open the aperture wider to a smaller number) to keep the exposure the same.
eg. 1/60th @ f11, = 1/125th @f8, = 1/250th @ f5.6, = 1/500th @ f4, = 1/1000th @ f2.8

If your aperture can't open any further, then your only option is to raise the ISO setting.

this is where i would invest in a minolta 50mm f1.7 or sony 50mm f1.8 as the wide aperture will be best for your low light situations. a flashgun wont really make much of a difference to be honest.

Hi there,

Thanks for that, but I am just a beginner, so don't really have a clue on what you have said. All jargon to me.

But will look into it.

Thanks

Hi there,

Thanks for that, but I am just a beginner, so don't really have a clue on what you have said. All jargon to me.

But will look into it.

Thanks

It will click eventually, and you'll just think "Aaah, I see now!!"

Try Google for some help?

Here's a basic guide to exposure..
http://www.picturecorrect.com/tips/photography-exposure-basics/

When taking pics of moving subjects like cars, bikes, horses etc., try panning (follow the subject in the viewfinder, press the shutter smoothly, and follow-through with your panning to avoid jerky movements). Set your camera to shutter-priority mode, and set a fast shutter-speed. The camera will then choose the correct aperture for you. Keep an eye on the aperture the camera wants to select though, in case it needs to go to a wider aperture than your lens is capable of, otherwise your shots will be underxposed. If that's the case, then you need to raise the ISO setting. This would allow you faster shutter speeds and smaller apertures, the payoff being a slight decrease in image quality.

Thank you very much for that advice.

Appreciate it, I was a bit reluctant to join up to a forum, just ‘cos I thought everyone was up their own backsides. But people are genuinely helpful.
Thank you very much.

What I might do is book a photographer for an afternoon, and hopefully they will help me with my camera. Tried google, and reading the manual, but its not the same as someone there physically helping me.

Thank you very much for that advice.

Appreciate it, I was a bit reluctant to join up to a forum, just ‘cos I thought everyone was up their own backsides. But people are genuinely helpful.
Thank you very much.

What I might do is book a photographer for an afternoon, and hopefully they will help me with my camera. Tried google, and reading the manual, but its not the same as someone there physically helping me.

You're welcome :)

Booking a photographer for lessons might be expensive! I think some colleges do night-school lessons or daytime courses in digital photography, but you'll learn a lot just by taking loads of photos and asking questions on this forum.

Try the Talk Basics section of the forum. It's there for beginners...

" Talk Basics
If you are new to photography, or just have a question you think is basic, then fire away! Absolutely no question is too silly or basic for us in here."

Don't worry about not understanding it all straight away!

Depending on where you are located, you might be able to tag along to one of the TalkPhotography meets....

Keep an eye on the thread in here: http://www.talkphotography.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=45

Anything local to you or anything you find interesting, just join in! No need to feel intimidated in ant *** at all, loads of friendly people on here and you'll learn loads by spending time with other photographers!!! (y)

If you're in Norfolk, send me a PM and we'll sort something out :)

Canon supply software for their digital camers for shooting straight to your laptop

Hi there,

Yeah I agree, just need to spend time with photographers, or people that know about slrs.

I'm going to look into a course.

MagicMynx didn't mean it at you or anyone on TP. Sorry.

Damien I visit Lowie loads, you near there?

Cheers guys

Back