Help with ND1000 Filters

Name
Chazz
Edit My Images
Yes
HI All,

I feel like a complete novice at the moment as I recently went out with my D850 and 24-70 to take some long exposures and my existing ND1000 screw on filter is giving me horrific vignetting at anything lower than 35mm.

I have been looking at the Lee 100 system and a few others but Id like to know some real world opinions before I go and purchase one... please hit me with your suggestions as I have an upcoming trip to the Breacons and I'll need an ND on the camera for pretty much the entire trip as I'll be photographing waterfalls.

Thanks All

If you're buying a Variable ND filter it's best to look for a slim version and check the specs.

Personally I don't like variable ND filters unless it is for video. I have the new Lee100 system and it's really good although I did have an issue with vignette at 16mm with the old Landscape CPL. I have the new CPL arriving today so will give that a go. Either way at 24mm you will not have a problem.

The problem (not really a problem) with going the above route is you will have to buy multiple ND filters which will be a lot more expensive than using one variable.

Ohh, and when you buy an adaptor ring for the filter holder get the W/A version if going with lee.

Last edited:
Don't forget to budget in cost and also space in front of the lens for a CPL filter too.

Personally, I managed with a 3 stop and CPL. There were times I think a 6 stop would have been perfect for shooting at wide apertures.

HI All,

I feel like a complete novice at the moment as I recently went out with my D850 and 24-70 to take some long exposures and my existing ND1000 screw on filter is giving me horrific vignetting at anything lower than 35mm.

I have been looking at the Lee 100 system and a few others but Id like to know some real world opinions before I go and purchase one... please hit me with your suggestions as I have an upcoming trip to the Breacons and I'll need an ND on the camera for pretty much the entire trip as I'll be photographing waterfalls.

Thanks All
What screw on nd filter are you using? It is a 77mm filter and there isn’t any step down ring involved. I would have hoped no screw on filter would cause vignetting at 24-35mm on a 24-70 lens, well not at 35mm anyway. It is just the one screw-in filter on the lens isn’t it? It’s not double stacked with a clear filter on the lens too?

I used to have a Nikon 24-70 lens and sometimes used a screw on protector filter without any sign of vignetting.

Regarding your trip to the becons and photographing waterfalls. Will a 10 stop filter be too much? That’s going to give quite a long exposure, possibly too long for silky water. I have raised the ISO to reduce the exposure length if needed in the past.

Last edited:
What screw on nd filter are you using? .

I have just worked out my own mistake.. I am fitting the SRB ND1000 on top of my Hoya UV Filter..... I hang my head in shame....

Back