Votes: 2 4.9%
  • None, get a pro to design it!

Votes: 7 17.1%

• Total voters
Name
Nick
Edit My Images
Yes
I've decided to give my website a bit of an overhaul and wanted to introduce a new logo. Graphic design is not even close to being a strong point for me but i chucked the 3 ideas below together.

Any thoughts as to which may be worth considering (if any);

1, 2 or 3.....

8461487701_e7fb707655_z.jpg

Last edited:

3 looks like you messed the spacing up and 1 doesn't read right...

I like #1. I think it's more dynamic.
#3 is a non-runner. It looks like a printing error

I like #1 as the word photography stands out on it more than #2. As above #3 looks like a mistake at the printers.

Of course the words only stand out to those who aren't colourblind....I'm not, but aren't blue and red confusing to those that are:shrug:

Number 1 but I think the text colours need changing - your first name comes across as too powerful and detached from the rest and your surname too weak. I think it would look better if your name was all the same. Now that I've said that, number 2 has more appeal :thinking:

I voted number 1.

I actually vote for number 3, it's more own-able and memorable. The others are just straight type in a square, fairly generic. Number 3 has something a little different. If you go with number 1 you could tighten up the leading on the first line so it visually matched the leading between the middle and last line.

Hi,

I'm a graphic designer first and foremost and photographer second!

First of all, middle is the best from a compositional point of view.

...The biggest aspect for me is your losing clarity with the letters because of the harsh contrasting colours. This is bad enough on screen, but for print you're going to have a real issue at that weight.

Think about how this works as a set, you're not designing a logo, you're designing a brand. How does this work next to your photography, how does it sit on a business card, how would it look on top of an invoice... All these things need to be taken into consideration.

My opinion. Begin ideas in black and white, post here and then work on it from there. Try a mixture of a light and bold font and this will break up the logotype. I don't think this is a bad start, but this is definitely a start for me and a bit of a while away from being the completed article. Would be nice to see some alternative ideas or early sketches, might even end up sending you down a different path! :)

I prefer 2. 1 is fine too but, 3 is to be avoided at all costs lol. I really like #2 though :)

i'd go with 2... but i'd space the letters out in your name so they are flush with the edges of 'photography'. I also think it would have more impact with white background (works on stationery) and then a splash of colour in the text.

Thanks again everyone - i appreciate the input.... ill have a play around and post some updates :)

Being a Sign Maker I draw up a lot of logos for companies and I have to agree with Chris.

Your logo will be used on everything so it has to look right on everything

for me number 2 is the strongest one but I would thicken up the text maybe so it stands out more and so you wont have as much of a problem when it comes to printing.

With the colour I would think about where the logo will be used and come up with a colour scheme that works on everything, for example you don't want a white box that will look good on a black business card but will be invisible on an invoice or letterhead that is printed on plain paper.

hope this helped and good luck! :)

Thanks again. I cant believe all the good advice. I've tried to take it all in and considered background, colour, thickness, spacing etc and the latest incarnation is here;

Ive tried to keep it really simple

8467736695_269705c298_z.jpg

I know its showing in a white box here but i think i would PNG it with transparent background but aim to use against white.

Your opinions are welcomed (y)

That's much better! Simple, classy and clean. I can imagine that on pretty much any colour background so keep the background transparent and you will get some very nice results(y)

2nd idea. Weak colour choice and dated font. The tracking (spacing) is off in the letters at the top, this is prob intentional but overused and looks amateurish.

Keep it simple, go down the route of black, grey, gold, then add colour only if necessary.

Respectably your getting advice off photographers and being misinformed, this isn't me taking an arrogant stance, this is me offering you good professional advice. If you're thinking seriously about really pushing your business - Invest money into your brand package. For me, it's so important and more so in a creative field such as photography.

This isn't even touching on your target audience, cliental, area of photography etc...

You started off by saying 'graphic design isn't my strong point'... How frustrated does everyone feel on here when we see friends, students and family think there photographers because they have a £2000 camera on auto, only to undermine the profession everybody's in and the knowledge you've built up over the years?

Everyone thinks there a designer/everyone thinks there a photographer...

My honest opinion is I would hire a professional to do this. Sit down, talk it through and come up with a fantastic result.

Sorry for the rant!! :)

Back