Help with Nikon lens purchase

Edit My Images
Yes
Hi

Two questions realy. I am thinking of buuying a D80. Is it worth getting a 50mm for it as I believe you loose some of the picture with the cut down sensor. If it is woth getting the 50mm then which of the kit lenses is best to go with it.

18 to 70 or 18 to 135.

I take mostly landscape and buildings with some shots of people thrown in.

Cheers Paul

I went for the 18-70 lens with my D80 as read many bad reports with the 18-135 with bad vignating at 135. Iv also got the 50mm 1.8 and recommend that too, even for landscape, which I mainly do.

I have the D80 and 50m lens, works great. Lovely sharp lens and great value.

My advice is to go for the 18-70. I had that one before the 17-55, and loved it. I have also heard bad reports on the 18-135, so I would stay clear of that one.

Both me and Theory went for the Kit D80 with 18-135 and we would both reccomend not to go for it! 18-70 is the one to go for, the 18-135 is a bit poo tbh, its not good, or great, or bad even, its just "ok".

I would also say to you to get the 50mm as it is one of the best lenses you can get for the money, Sharp as you like at f4, so much character, it rarely leaves my camera!

I had an 18-135 but not for very long. The lens was just OK, but nothing else. I don't know about the 18-70.

In the end I decided to change my D80 to the body only pack (I had my first one for less than a month) and opted to get the 18-200 VR and 50mm f/1.4 instead. It's a far better combination, if you can afford it. :)

I went with the 18-135mm and aside from its faults (plastic lens mount, distortion, vignetting (though I didn't mind that)) it's very sharp through the range (even wide open) and it makes for a great travel lens. I've replaced it with a Sigma 18-50mm f/2.8, but the 18-135mm is still packed whenever I go out.

I have a D80 with the 18-135mm lens and I have had some wonderful shots with it. I also used my older 28-70 from my F75 kit. It doesnt break any records but does what it says on the tin. In fairness I am selling my 18-135mm as I am getting a 18-200mm lens to replace it. Not used or know anyone that has used the 18-70mm. But I think most are correct to go for the 18-70mm and save up for VR later.

Short answer, definately get the 50mm and go for the 18 - 70

I did have the 18-135 until I dropped it; I was happy with it the sharpness was great and i could live with the distortion and the vignetting as both can be corrected in software. The things I didn't like about it was the plastic lens mount and it didn't have the distance window that helps setting hyperfocal distance for landscapes.

I now have the 18-70 it has the distance window I missed, it has a metal lens mount and is just as sharp, unfortunately it still has vignetting problems (show me a consumer wideangle digital lens that doesn't) and distortion problems (again show me a consumer zoom that doesn't).

The 50mm f1.8 is a stunning lens for the price and is known in these parts as the Nifty Fifty. The 50mm on the D80 becomes the perfect portrait lens as it has the same field of view as a 75mm on a 35mm film or full frame camera.

Back