Help With Old Trafford Photos?

Name
Brian
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi guys, probably not the right section for this! (Sorry, haven't been around long!)

Tomorrow morning I'm going over to Manchester for the Man Utd vs. Fulham game on Monday night. I want to take some shots to remember as I don't get over very often living in Northern Ireland. It will be dark (apart from stadium lights) and I'll be using my 350D with 70-300 Sigma. What is the best settings to use in these conditions?

Bazza (noob).

and dont forget its illegal to use a camera in any ground in the UK at any level from the stands/terraces.. that is also the rule for licenced photographers..... However the 10 thousand flashes that go off when united kick off would suggest its a hard rule to enforce at Old trafford :) .. Just be aware with kit like yours you will stand out more and they can refuse you entry or kick you out... Just thought I better mention in case your not aware.

and dont forget its illegal to use a camera in any ground in the UK at any level from the stands/terraces.. that is also the rule for licenced photographers..... However the 10 thousand flashes that go off when united kick off would suggest its a hard rule to enforce at Old trafford :) .. Just be aware with kit like yours you will stand out more and they can refuse you entry or kick you out... Just thought I better mention in case your not aware.

Quoted to make sure you see it, there's probably a chance if they see you with it on the way in they'll ask you to take it to your car/etc.

Other than that, good luck, Tv mode may be best, ISO 800-1600, see what shutter speeds your getting.

As mentioned above, it's illegal to take photo's at any football ground in the UK. Obviously now with just about every phone having a camera the law is pretty much unenforcable!

I've spoken to the Rock Steady chief steward at Ibrox and was told that the way they enforce it is that any camera with a removable lens isn't allowed! I used to take my Finepix S5000 and never had a problem, never took my 350D tho!

I can understand it not being allowed, but.....illegal? You sure?

I can understand it not being allowed, but.....illegal? You sure?

Hmm that was the word I got told but maybe not illegal as in police.. I dunno... It's ground rules.. can you be arrested for breaking ground rules?.. you can for most of em.. doubt you can for cameras... think theres a grey area somewhere...

Prob "against the rules" is more descriptive :)

Wel lets hope Bazza has returned/is returning safely with his camera. I think 'against the rules' is probably the best description - like so many public events these days [football, concerts, gigs, etc], no pictures can be taken without permission and often some money rich organisation getting that bit richer :bonk:

I should imagine it's illegal in the sense that it's private property, they've set a condition for entry ("don't bring a camera on our property") and thus entering the property while flouting the condition is trespassing.

I think it is media rules as in what type of contract say Sky/BBC/Press have for the rights of the matches. Thay pay a fortune for the media rights so they want to try and control rip off images.

They have a massive store which sells piccies of all the players so they also want you to buy these as against you taking your own snaps. Most art/sport venues have this policy.

I went against Sporting Lisbon last week and was amazed at how many people take disposable cameras to the match. I was sat on the top level of the North stand (the huge triple decked one) and they were trying to shoot the actual game. :wacky:

I should imagine it's illegal in the sense that it's private property, they've set a condition for entry ("don't bring a camera on our property") and thus entering the property while flouting the condition is trespassing.

I think it's more "Against the rules" as KIPAX says.

If they set it as a condition of entry, then when you break the condition of entry, you're effectively trespassing as you say :)

BUT, trespassing isn't a criminal offense, it's a civil offence (Well at least it used to be before SOCPA)...

Edit : Just checked and it's a criminal offense under SOCPA, but only on 'designated sites', and it states :

The Secretary of State may only designate a site for the purposes of this section if—
(a)
it is comprised in Crown land; or
(b)
it is comprised in land belonging to Her Majesty in Her private capacity or to the immediate heir to the Throne in his private capacity; or
(c)
it appears to the Secretary of State that it is appropriate to designate the site in the interests of national security.

So it's still a civil offense, and I believe that they must first ask you to leave before anything else.

It does annoy me though, what with everywhere in our towns and cities becoming more and more privatised (Read : Sold by our government and councils), we're being controlled more and more in where we can shoot.

I think it is media rules as in what type of contract say Sky/BBC/Press have for the rights of the matches. Thay pay a fortune for the media rights so they want to try and control rip off images.:

Hmm no not really. The rule applies at all levels.. including matches I ahve been to with 10 people watching a game of no interest to anyone bar the players and me :)

It seems to be the same rule at every level and every football ground. Its not just about the copyright.. for example as a licenced sports photographer I am only allowed to photograph from the touchline.. I can go into the seats or stands and photograph.. so nowt to do with image rights there.

Also it seems to be a ground regulation thing rather than a club or football league type thing

Depending on how far down the pyramid you go gets you different reactions. I am guesisng chelsea and the like would jump on you for taking pics of the so called stars.. but non league clubs welcome you with open arms glad of the publicity

Its a funny old thing :)

But I drew it to the OPs attention as he may argue wiht a steward once inside thinking he was in the right... best to let him know whats what before he tries it. :)

being a sad old bugger i have been to chelsea a few times this season, took my fuji finepix s5600 and was told by the steward that i was not allowed to take any photos, but that as i had now been told that was as far as he was going to go, in other words dont get caught:nuts:

Haha, good work man. How did you manage to hide it? Don't they search bags? Anyway, well done and I look forward to the pics.

Get a pic of Ronaldo's first cracker? :)

I asked a couple of marshalls around the stadium during the day and they said it should be ok. Walked in the gate and took the actual photos right above one of the staircases where two marshalls were watching me and didn't say a word. Still have to get home and get some of the pics on :bang::bonk:

You certainly know how to keep us in suspense :LOL:

Can't wait to see them

Yes, agree with above it is a civil not criminal offence and therefore not 'arrestable', unleess you argued the toss [no pun intended] and could be seen to be threatening... Tresspass is also a civil affair unless it is with intent, to burgle or cause damage for example.
The reason it it a civil matter is that major clubs have contractual arrangements with the world and his missus, which could be see to suffer loss by you taking piccy's of their little stars. Where there is loss there is a potential claim.........
I got asked to put my camera away at a Girls Aloud concert.
[Holkham Hall, don't recommend either!] I was using a 400D/200L. I was told by a Steward nothing with a longs lens mate. I did get a few snaps however! But the same principal applies the girls or their agents could suffer loss [but not thro my snaps] and therfore seek damages.
In civil law there is not guilt or innocence as in criminal law but loss and recompense.

Dunc

I asked a couple of marshalls around the stadium during the day and they said it should be ok. Walked in the gate and took the actual photos right above one of the staircases where two marshalls were watching me and didn't say a word. Still have to get home and get some of the pics on :bang::bonk:

Nothing like a bit of Christmas spirit to make everything well in the world.

Glad you got "some" shots. :)

As mentioned above, it's illegal to take photo's at any football ground in the UK. Obviously now with just about every phone having a camera the law is pretty much unenforcable!

I've spoken to the Rock Steady chief steward at Ibrox and was told that the way they enforce it is that any camera with a removable lens isn't allowed! I used to take my Finepix S5000 and never had a problem, never took my 350D tho!

its the same at old trafford, if the camera has a removable lens, then its a NO NO, i read it on a ticket or on line

Hmm no not really. The rule applies at all levels.. including matches I ahve been to with 10 people watching a game of no interest to anyone bar the players and me :)

It seems to be the same rule at every level and every football ground. Its not just about the copyright.. for example as a licenced sports photographer I am only allowed to photograph from the touchline.. I can go into the seats or stands and photograph.. so nowt to do with image rights there.

Also it seems to be a ground regulation thing rather than a club or football league type thing

Depending on how far down the pyramid you go gets you different reactions. I am guesisng chelsea and the like would jump on you for taking pics of the so called stars.. but non league clubs welcome you with open arms glad of the publicity

Its a funny old thing :)

But I drew it to the OPs attention as he may argue wiht a steward once inside thinking he was in the right... best to let him know whats what before he tries it. :)

It is all about image rights, there's no statutory legislation prohibiting photogrpahy at football matches, if so it would apply to other sports.

The Premiership claims copyright on all images of Premiership games. Now there maybe be slightly different rules regarding non-Premiership clubs and the FA might try to limit rights for games under their jurisdiction, but if you're on public land, or private land with permission, and you have a line of sight onto a football game, there's nothing to stop you legally shooting as much as you want.

You are abosultely right though, I wouldn't risk taking a DSLR to a Premiership game (especially if you're travelling all the way from N.I.!)

It is all about image rights, there's no statutory legislation prohibiting photogrpahy at football matches, if so it would apply to other sports.

Every ground in the UK has the same ground rules. you may NOT take into the ground anything that can record the match. photography or video.

If you do then you can be ejected from the ground.

I dont really see how there can be any confusion.

Stewards/Staff will either enforce or not enforce the rules. Depends on how strict the club want to be. But you have no argument if a steward tells you to stop or makes you leave.

This is what stops you.. seems to apply to all football ground in the UK at all FA levels

No person (other than a person who holds an appropriate license) may bring into the Ground or use within the Ground any equipment, which is capable of recording or transmitting (by digital or other means) any audio, visual material or any information or data in relation to the Match or the Ground. Copyright in any unauthorised recording or transmission is assigned (by way of present assignment of future copyright pursuant to section 91 of the Copyright, Designs and Patents Act 1988) to the Club.

This is what stops you.. seems to apply to all football ground in the UK at all FA levels

Exactly, it's all about image rights! Why esle would the only law quoted be about copyright? These rules are put in place by the FA. Any club taking part in a game governed by the FA will have to abide bear their rules, but there's no law against shooting football without permission per se.

carry it under your coat as you won't get stopped at the turnstiles

I look forward to seeing the swimming photo's.

carry it under your coat as you won't get stopped at the turnstiles

I look forward to seeing the swimming photo's.

lol brilliant!!! (y)

This means that Saturday and Sunday local leagues are covered by this too. As the majority are affiliated with the FA in order to actually take place.

Although they take place on public parks, so this could be a grey area.

This means that Saturday and Sunday local leagues are covered by this too. As the majority are affiliated with the FA in order to actually take place.

Although they take place on public parks, so this could be a grey area.

If it's not a sports stadia and doesn't have ground rules then pretty black and white :)

Back