Help with over exposed of an image

It's quite overexposed, but I suppose you could try duplicating the image, adjusting it for a correct sky exposure and then cut n paste the fixed bit onto the original pic

You could use an curves adjustment layer, then paint over with black on the mask,on all but the sky and reflection area, but that will only dull it down a little the detail is all blown

As Dave says, you could use a mask, but there's no detail. Image looks alright to me, apart from the OOF left wall which could have been left out.

There is no detail in the highlights, so nothing will be recoverable. In the future, for shots like this, what you should do is expose for the sky: say for example the sky requires a shutter speed of 1/200 at f/8, and the wall is a shutter speed of 1/20 at f/8, you'd expose the shot at 1/200, and use a flashgun to make the wall exposed correctly too.
For example, this image:

2622422108_e22a4a7029.jpg

Exposed for the sky, and used my flashgun and reflector. I took the flash off-camera, put a reflector behind me and the flashgun pointing into the reflector, and got a perfectly exposed image.

Hope that helped!

There is no detail in the highlights, so nothing will be recoverable. In the future, for shots like this, what you should do is expose for the sky: say for example the sky requires a shutter speed of 1/200 at f/8, and the wall is a shutter speed of 1/20 at f/8, you'd expose the shot at 1/200, and use a flashgun to make the wall exposed correctly too.
For example, this image:

2622422108_e22a4a7029.jpg

Exposed for the sky, and used my flashgun and reflector. I took the flash off-camera, put a reflector behind me and the flashgun pointing into the reflector, and got a perfectly exposed image.

Hope that helped!
Hellooo 365 :D

There is not a lot you can do with this image. You could try adding some density to reduce the brightness but there is no way you are going to get a significantly better result. If you have shot it as a RAW file there may be some hope as a lot of information is stored in the highlight area in RAW.

This is a typical example where the proper use of HDR can help. You've got a massive dynamic range that will be difficult to cope with normaly.

Back