Beginner Help with shooting a re-enactment (Waterloo in June)

Name
Jon
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi, I posted a similar message to this in the "Sports" section, and got a few replies, though really could do with more advice, I've had a great response in this forum before, so trying here as well. Hope this is ok!

Anyway, Mrs Chap very kindly got me 2 days tickets to the 200th Anniv of Battle of Waterloo re-enactment in Waterloo. I'm keen to photograph this, however have no experience of this sort of togging.
I'm quite happy with taking pics of the camps etc during the day, however the 2 battle scenes will be 8pm-10pm, and I'll be watching them from a tiered stand, I'd guess anything from 100m to 500m from the action.

I have; a D3100, 18-55 kit lens and a 70-300, (flash I suspect irrelevant!), I should also have access to a decent monopod, which I think will be more useful than my tripod , sitting in a stand.

So, considering I'm pretty much a beginner still in photography terms anyway, and a complete novice at any kind of sport / event togging, any and all advice or tips would be gratefully received! Trust me, no tip is too simplistic, the event itself will be brilliant, and right up my street
but I'd really like to be able to capture some decent pics too :)

( https://www.waterloo2015.org/en/programme this is the official site for the re-enactment )

Thanks in advance !

Lucky you! I know a number of people participating. I don't photograph re-enactment a great deal, but only because I am generally taking part. I have not been to anything as big as Waterloo, so I am not sure how relevant anything I might say will be, but I will do my best to give you some pointers.

Going to a few re-enactments before you go might be a good idea to get some practice. Either Napoleonic or English Civil War re-enactments with cavalry would do as the firearms are similar.

If you want to get muskets or canon firing, remember that there is a pause for people to react after the order to fire is given, then another small pause for the priming to ignite before the gun fires, so catching the flames coming out of the barrel is quite tricky and takes some practice.

Try to exclude anything modern, and watch out for inaccuracies on the re-enactors too, one of the classics being shiny modern stirrups on the cavalry, and modern horse tack (can you tell I am a cavalry re-enactor?).

Close ups can work very well, showing expressions during the fighting if you can get close enough / have a long enough lens. Again watch out for grins instead of grimaces. Filling the frame is great.

A common mistake is to automatically make all re-enactment photos monochrome or even sepia. That can be appropriate for American Civil War, but there weren't any cameras around during Napoleonic times. Obvious I know, but lots of people do it.

There is lots of fast action, and the muzzle flashes are very fast, so keep you shutter speed up unless you have an arty moment.

Hope that helps - if I think of anything else I will let you know, and feel free to ask away. If you do want practice I can give you details of large ECW battles.

Edited to add: If you would like some inspiration, then this chap is particularly good: http://www.beardsworth.co.uk/galleries/gallery/historical-re-enactment/

Last edited:
Thanks for all of the above! There's a few things I hadn't thought of, essentially there will be two different snapping opportunities, they have a camp set up for four days, which will give the chance to take close up filled frame pics of both soldiers and camp followers etc. The reenactment itself is all seated and ticketed, so the action shots will be from a stand some distance from the field...
I am lucky in that I've got tickets to both evenings action, so a chance to practice on the first night and hopefully improve on second. I will be distracted as Waterloo is a fascination of mine, so I'll be torn between enjoying the spectacle and getting photos!
Appreciate the reply very much, thanks!

A common mistake is to automatically make all re-enactment photos monochrome or even sepia. That can be appropriate for American Civil War, but there weren't any cameras around during Napoleonic times. Obvious I know, but lots of people do it.

A good point and as an aside, a photograph of Wellington from 1844 , which to me is a wonderful thing! View attachment 30106

Back