Help with small studio space 7`x10`

Edit My Images
Yes
Hey all, I'm just starting out in photography but I really want to get into studio photography/portraits! The problem I've got is the only room in my house I can use is 7`x10`

I would love to practice with black and high key white background but I'm really struggling to find a solution for what I need to buy!

From what I've read a white background with 2 lights and a third key light is recommended! But from what I've read I don't have enough room?

I've read about the lastolite hilite but don't think I can justify that amount of money :(

Are there any options open to me with this small space?

Also a black background should be fine?

Hopefully someone can help?

Cheers
Lee

Hi Lee,
I am in a very similar position. If you can find a HiLite on ebay or whatever, they are great. I have the 7x5ft version (I think its that size) and it is fantastic. Very easy to set up, though not so easy to put away! I have used it in a few peoples houses.
Good luck.
Stu

Well, if you want a white background (which is a different thing entirely to high key) then, in that size of space, a Hi-Lite is really your only solution.

Even if you could physically do it with a white background (or wall) and a couple of lights on it in that space, it would take an amazing level of skill and care to get even broadly acceptable results.

Personally, my advice would be to forget about white backgrounds until you can find somewhere with enough space. You'll be fine with a black background.

Yeah I'm starting to think I may be flogging a dead horse in my efforts for a white background!

From the space I have available I'm guessing I could only do 3\4 shots at best? So could do without the vinyl train on the hilite?

Last edited:
I've worked in smaller spaces - and shot white b/g. But it's neither fun nor easy.

Black can also be hard in small spaces as distance is your friend for controlling light. Use black and settle for grey is probably the easiest.

Have you considered that swirly blue off of the 80s? :)

I'm not worried about it being an effort just need to know that its possible :)

I keep talking myself in and out of the hilite as it is just so expensive, but is also my best option.

I think I might go for the 5x7 hilite with vinyl train and black bottletop. 99% of the time I'll only be shooting 2 adults at most and maybe a baby so this should be wide enough and will fit perfectly in my room then I can do 3/4 vertical shots and waist length horizontal shots???

I already have 2 flashes, a softbox and a shoot through umbrella.

I think this will work and should at least give me the practice I need for when I eventually get a bigger space?

This website gives me some hope

Am I being realistic or not??

Lee

Update: couldn't resist and have ordered the 6x7 hilite and train. My black background shots will only be people stood up so for now I think I'll just use a black sheet over the hilite?? should hopefully work??

Like I said possible but needs a little ingenuity. Nice pics on that site.

Good luck with the 3/4s ;)

And don't those grey backgrounds look smart, more nicerous than white methinks.

Didnt think about that to honest Johnathan, how does he do that.

Didnt think about that to honest Johnathan, how does he do that.

Light, innit? ;)

White with "correct" light = white. White with less light = gray. Any colour with no light - black.

See how he's setting the light to the side to it angles across the b/g and keeps it close to his subject so the background is relatively far away. Sooner or later somebody had to say "inverse square law"....

It's possible but not simple. I shoot in a space only a bit bigger in width and same depth and it's manageable with some pp'ing after but you will be, as I am, very limited on where you can position lights. You should be able to use a couple of speed lights on the background which won't take a lot of space and would allow you to do some experimenting quite cheaply. Don't be put off by small space. It can force you to be creative and inventive. Having the challenge of some kind of limitation can be quite productive.

It's possible but not simple. I shoot in a space only a bit bigger in width and same depth and it's manageable with some pp'ing after but you will be, as I am, very limited on where you can position lights. You should be able to use a couple of speed lights on the background which won't take a lot of space and would allow you to do some experimenting quite cheaply. Don't be put off by small space. It can force you to be creative and inventive. Having the challenge of some kind of limitation can be quite productive.

I've gone with the hilite so I won't have to worry about lighting the background in the same way as with paper etc.

I've just ordered another speedlite so that makes 2 for the hilite and one for the main front light; I also have a reflector to use for some fill light.

I'm really excited for everything to arrive but my only worry now is controlling the light spill from the softbox as I don't have a grid and it seems these aren't cheap to come by so may end up buying a new softbox eventually???

Like I say I'm super new to all this but hopefully I will be able to post some photos over the coming weeks

Thanks everyone for the help

Lee

Light, innit? ;)

White with "correct" light = white. White with less light = gray. Any colour with no light - black.

See how he's setting the light to the side to it angles across the b/g and keeps it close to his subject so the background is relatively far away. Sooner or later somebody had to say "inverse square law"....

(y) Thanks mate, I actually understood that, all I've got to do now is remember it:)

Back