Help with startrails please

Name
phil
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi, this is my second attempt at startrails with a D3100
About 56 shots of 25 secs, @ ISO 800, f8
It is in my garden, but I want to experiment more before I go further afield.
Start time was 00:30 this morning, pointing west....ish. I'm not well up in recognising stars, but think the bright one is jupiter, well google sky map thinks it is!

startrails2test.jpg

I would like to learn the right settings for startrails, and need some help, like what white balance should I be using, and am I on the right track with what I am doing above?

Many thanks in advance!

Thanks, will try your suggestions next time. I notice the slightly dotted appearance in my pics, how do I get the lovely smooth effect that you all get?

Thanks, will try your suggestions next time. I notice the slightly dotted appearance in my pics, how do I get the lovely smooth effect that you all get?

Gaps are a consequence of stacking. The gaps are emphasised, though, by a longer focal length and pointing your camera in the 90º either side of south, both of which apply here (you're facing west IINM). Shoot at a wide angle and face appx north and the gaps will be minimal.

The other thing to check is how you're repeatedly firing your camera. Remote cable locked in and consecutive shooting mode is best, rather than the camera's timer and 1sec gaps.

Sharpening (in PP) can sometimes give the appearance of closing the gaps but any gains here are often offset by the trails themselves starting to look less smooth so mind your step.

Thanks for the advice Andrew and Matt, both of you look like experts. Your pictures look excellent to me, I would be lucky to reach even half of your level!
It looks like you've also had a little bit of a misting up issue :bang: but all in all not a bad effort, thank you to Roly for pointing you in the direction of my guide :D
Is there any way around the misting? I know the nights are particularly cold at the minute.

Phil

Misting isn't just about cold temps, it's to do with moisture and temperature change.

Some people rig up all sorts of devices from hand warmers to insulation in an attempt to prevent it. I just acclimatise my gear beforehand and keep an eye on the bare metal of my tripod legs - if that gathers moisture then the front element won't be far behind.

Thanks for the advice Andrew and Matt, both of you look like experts. Your pictures look excellent to me, I would be lucky to reach even half of your level!

Is there any way around the misting? I know the nights are particularly cold at the minute.

Phil

All I can add really is a big :plus1: to what Andrew said

Misting isn't just about cold temps, it's to do with moisture and temperature change.

Some people rig up all sorts of devices from hand warmers to insulation in an attempt to prevent it. I just acclimatise my gear beforehand and keep an eye on the bare metal of my tripod legs - if that gathers moisture then the front element won't be far behind.

One other thing I try and do is to keep down wind of my camera as I have found that if your up wind on a really cold night your breath can also accelerate misting :bang:

I see. I'm usually bringing my stuff out of the house or a warm car.
Matt, last nights star trials were taken with me indoors. Once I set up the shot, I left it til the battery died!

Have you any advice on the white balance at night, or is that trial and error too, depending on the conditions and how far from city lights?

Last edited:
I see. I'm usually bringing my stuff out of the house or a warm car!

Have you any advice on the white balance at night, or is that trial and error too, depending on the conditions and how far from city lights?

I know that when Andrew is doing his startrails especially in an urban environment he has advocated in the past a customer white balance to take the light pollution out of the sky, I've only really played with this in the past but is seems to work very well (y) but also I find tungsten to be a decent preset :D

Matt

Back