Beginner Help with Static Cars

Name
Luke
Edit My Images
Yes
I know it's not an easy answer and so many different factors but I wonder if somebody could give me the basics as a start point to practice and learn from.

I am trying to learn more about photography to help with my job role in running a small family car dealer, We cannot justify paying for the pictures to be done and then upload them to the likes of Auto trader.
We really understand how important it is in the modern times to have great clean and crisp pictures of cars we have for sale.
Hence why I am trying to learn and improve on the quality of pictures.

I have the basic understanding of how to use my Canon 700D and can use manual mode, however, I still need to learn more.

I will upload a picture as an example and if you could show me where i could improve it would be much appreciated.
the picture come out too dark but this could be down to using a Polarizing filter? I have tried to edit it after a small amount

86728_11_big.jpg

86728_11_big%20%282%29.jpg

You're images aren't showing for some reason. However, when you look at the images on Autotrader there is often little idea of composition or background.

Having the car in a good clean background, shot at a suitable aperture is what is key. Make the image interesting.... I'm not great at cars, but something like this:

Hot Chilli !!!! by Steve Jelly, on Flickr

Is better than the average side on shot with a fence in the background.

Last edited:
The camera should tell you if the shots too dark ( I can't see your photos either ). Try to avoid arty shots - the average person will want to see if there are any dents, alloy damage, a few shots of the interior etc - over elaborate shots will put off your core market

As Steve says, try and take the photos with a good, uncluttered background. It's easy to make a car look average in a photo but make sure you're honest obviously :)

Hi thank you not sure why the pictures haven't uploaded I will try again.

What i am aiming for is 9 very clean images and as you say not arty just good quality images that show the car in detail
86728_11_big.jpg

86728_11_big%20%282%29.jpg

Last edited:
I don't think I got the polarizing filter set correctly in the above picture, I am still learning with this.

86728_17_big.jpg

86728_20_big.jpg
86728_16_big.jpg

Look at other dealers photos, and when you find one you like, do a similar thing.
Practice with the polariser and it will reduce the reflections on the glass.
It will probably very difficult to get a clean background, but just be aware of what's in the background. Make sure there's no lampposts,signs etc sticking out the car lol.

I've bought a few cars through AutoTrader, and pored over hundreds of photos. You're trying too hard!

I'm interested in the car, images packed with as much clear detail as possible - no arty angles or interesting effects thank you, and no dark shadows. I know what a Ford Focus looks like, I want to see what this particular vehicle looks like, and that's all in the detail. Background is pretty irrelevant and there shouldn't be much of it anyway if you fill the frame properly with the car. Avoid bright sun that casts dark shadows, eg the interior shot above where the footwell is black and shows no detail of heel/foot wear on the carpet or pedals. Opportuinity missed - shoot on overcast days or in shade.

Some dealers have a standard spot for all photos, sometimes including a nice view of the dealership behind, or a neat line of other cars - helps to convey a good impression, build the brand etc. You can moderate what appears in the background with focal length and distance. Shooting close and wide will include a lot more, moving back with longer focal length will show less background. Avoid short focal lengths though, that will exaggerate perspective and likewise long focal lengths that will flatten it - something around 'standard' ie 30-35mm will probably look best on your camera.

Use a polarising filter with care, or preferably not at all. Reflections, highlights and shadows show shape and texture, and emphasise detail. In the head-on shot above, lack of reflections on the bonnet makes it look like putty or stealth paintwork. The black windscreen looks unnatural. Also, polarisers sometimes reveal patterns in toughened glass that will turn off anybody that doesn't know. Polarisers are all about angles (google) and the critical one for reflections is 30-40 degrees to the surface, rotated for best effect. Get the angle right, and all reflections will vanish, but if they're gone from the bonnet, they'll be there along the side, and vice-versa. Try it and see, but mostly I wouldn't use a polariser for this.

Shoot lots, including the usual three-quarters front and rear views, drivers door open etc - you know the ropes there I'm sure. Then lots of detail, like all four wheels, all seats, dash right and left (showing mileage is nice), boot open with clear view inside, bonnet ditto, and any extra features like a spoiler, tow-bar, whatever - the more the better, but avoid duplicates. Make it quick and easy for customers to see detail, with roll-over zoom effect etc.

HTH :)

I agree with @HoppyUK - either you're doing arty photos for viewing pleasure, or you're doing photos to convey information (can't remember the term).

What do people look for when buying a car?
What's going to help them to decide a car from your dealer over an identical car from another dealer?
Look at what other car dealers do - what angles to take, what areas to photograph etc

You need to get people to come to the dealer to look at your cars. Informative photos will help to a massive degree here.

I agree I dont want arty pictures, And I know the correct angles and which photos needs taking for the customer to get all the information they are looking for.

I was just trying to get the best quality picture possible.

OP, as far as photos for selling cars I don't think there's anything particularly wrong with the angles and composition, in fact they're better than half of the ones you see on autotrader etc. I would focus more on getting the exposure right to show as much detail as possible. For example the first and last pics are a touch underexposed and hiding a little bit of detail.

OP, as far as photos for selling cars I don't think there's anything particularly wrong with the angles and composition, in fact they're better than half of the ones you see on autotrader etc. I would focus more on getting the exposure right to show as much detail as possible. For example the first and last pics are a touch underexposed and hiding a little bit of detail.

I agree. I did try to edit the first pictures as you can see by the second picture.

I agree I dont want arty pictures, And I know the correct angles and which photos needs taking for the customer to get all the information they are looking for.

I was just trying to get the best quality picture possible.

Sure, but I think you're pushing in the wrong direction and this is not the place for polarising filters and Photoshop.

'Best quality' in this context simply means means the right light, the right angle, from the right distance, sharp from front to back with clear detail. TBH a decent smartphone can deliver sufficient image quality, though I wouldn't suggest that because the lenses are generally too wide-angle.

Back