Beginner Help

Name
Robert
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi.

I am hoping to get into the world of photography but find myself struggling with myself confidence to go out into the world with a camera and take photographs. I feel very self-conscious when I've taken photographs with my mobile phone and believe I would feel the same way with a DSLR.

Do you fair people have any suggestions or tips on how one can over come this fear of mine? I would really like to get into photography and scourer the lands for great shots. But at this moment I am questioning myself and struggling to dive into the world of photography.

Thank you for any help you can give me.

Hi Robert.

I suffer from pretty much the same. Maybe you could try taking a sympathetic partner or friend with you? I find that when I'm with Mrs WW I attract much less attention than when I'm just a lone man wondering about with a camera. Another little tip might be to walk slowly and not dash about.

On the subject of DSLR's... Take a look at mirrorless Robert. It's the future.

Good luck with it all :D and remember to come back and post your thoughts and pictures here!

I think if it's rural landscape it's a good starting point as you can always try a find the quieter spots. There won't be as many people around, and even if they are they're there because they appreciate the views too, so would be understanding of someone wanting to take a photo.

I often find that I'm concentrating soo much on the photo taking process that I'm not thinking about the folks wandering behind / in front of me.

One thing I tend to do as well is look for the less obvious shot, you may have people gravitating towards a certain spot because it's the most obvious place to look or photograph from but have a look about, there may be a different angle you like more that doesn't have people about.

Head out when the weather isn't as good, there'll be less people then, I went up Hedgehope Hill in Northumberland earlier this year and it was near constant rain and drizzle and I saw 3 people in over 4 hours. Two weeks later when it was blue skies and snow on the ground it was 20-30 folks.

Been 7 years I've been about with a camera and never had a bad interaction (no one coming up and saying I can't take photos etc). Most folk will smile and nod, some may ask if you got anything good and I tend to reply something along the lines of "Hopefully, if I remember to take the lens cap off this time." It's not hilarious but it greases the cogs of social interaction.

Give it time, I felt self conscious when I started too,

Hi Robert.

A very delicate situation, indeed.

My suggestion would be to go somewhere that you know will be peaceful and relaxing enough for you to manage without a camera. Then try taking the camera out and get a few shots and see how you feel then. Perhaps after a while, you'll begin to feel the feelings subside. Repetition of this will help overcome theses feelings.

As mentioned above, having someone with you will help take the focus (no pun intended) off of you, but may not be practical in every situation.

A harsher response would be to simply do it, without thinking about about how you're feeling at the time, then evaluate your feelings after. Small amounts of immersion will often reduce the intensity of these feelings, with the first step being the toughest. What's the worst that can happen, eh!

Good luck and have fun.

Hi northern star.i suffer from something similar, anxiety.
But I come from a golfing background and I'm finding it hard to go back to,I fear people watching me take a golf shot and critising my every move.
But I find taking my camera out so much more relaxing,no one can judge my photo shots because no one can see them.if I do take a nice photo of a bird etc,then it makes me happy and I can perhaps share on social media or wherever.
Hope this helps

My suggestions are first try going out with a friend and taking pics, the company may make you feel more comfortable. Also try really busy tourist places (sounds daft) but theres a load of other people taking pics and nobody will notice you, your just one of a crowd.
The truth is in most cases nobody will take any notice of you anyway, people these days are used to seeing people take pictures, and if you really want to hide put on a high-vis jacket, it's a sort of invisibility cloak, people may see the coat but they wont notice you.

Your probably worrying about it more than anyone around. I was out this morning on the main coast road next to the path down to the beach a few people walked past with dogs. No one gave me a second glance some may have thought I was nuts but so be it.
I've been taking photos since the early 70s no one has ever objected or been abusive etc. Just get out there and have a go. Almost everyone has a smart phone these days and people are taking photos everywhere, you can't even go to a restaurant without someone taking a photo of their meal to post on mebook or whatever its called.

I think if it's rural landscape it's a good starting point as you can always try a find the quieter spots. There won't be as many people around, and even if they are they're there because they appreciate the views too, so would be understanding of someone wanting to take a photo.

I often find that I'm concentrating soo much on the photo taking process that I'm not thinking about the folks wandering behind / in front of me.

One thing I tend to do as well is look for the less obvious shot, you may have people gravitating towards a certain spot because it's the most obvious place to look or photograph from but have a look about, there may be a different angle you like more that doesn't have people about.

Head out when the weather isn't as good, there'll be less people then, I went up Hedgehope Hill in Northumberland earlier this year and it was near constant rain and drizzle and I saw 3 people in over 4 hours. Two weeks later when it was blue skies and snow on the ground it was 20-30 folks.

Been 7 years I've been about with a camera and never had a bad interaction (no one coming up and saying I can't take photos etc). Most folk will smile and nod, some may ask if you got anything good and I tend to reply something along the lines of "Hopefully, if I remember to take the lens cap off this time." It's not hilarious but it greases the cogs of social interaction.

Give it time, I felt self conscious when I started too,
Thank you for your kind response. It truly is appreciated. I will heed your words and go where and when it is quieter to take photographs.

Hi Robert.

A very delicate situation, indeed.

My suggestion would be to go somewhere that you know will be peaceful and relaxing enough for you to manage without a camera. Then try taking the camera out and get a few shots and see how you feel then. Perhaps after a while, you'll begin to feel the feelings subside. Repetition of this will help overcome theses feelings.

As mentioned above, having someone with you will help take the focus (no pun intended) off of you, but may not be practical in every situation.

A harsher response would be to simply do it, without thinking about about how you're feeling at the time, then evaluate your feelings after. Small amounts of immersion will often reduce the intensity of these feelings, with the first step being the toughest. What's the worst that can happen, eh!

Good luck and have fun.
Thank you for the kind and harsh words. I will admit I was expecting a response from one forum member to just say get out and take pics. It did make me laugh when reading. But thank you for your words and as I say time and time again, they are truly appreciated and I mean that.

Your probably worrying about it more than anyone around. I was out this morning on the main coast road next to the path down to the beach a few people walked past with dogs. No one gave me a second glance some may have thought I was nuts but so be it.
I've been taking photos since the early 70s no one has ever objected or been abusive etc. Just get out there and have a go. Almost everyone has a smart phone these days and people are taking photos everywhere, you can't even go to a restaurant without someone taking a photo of their meal to post on mebook or whatever its called.
Thank you for telling me of your past experiences. It helps me to see that I shouldn't give two hoots what people think and get on with taking photos. That I should enjoy the moment and take the pics. Thank you. Your advise is truly appreciated.

I can understand it if you're in an urban area and interested in street photography perhaps. But, as has been suggested, get yourself out into the country where you can suit yourself. Maybe an old church, or something like that. But once you start clicking you'll soon get into the swing.

Hi northern star.i suffer from something similar, anxiety.
But I come from a golfing background and I'm finding it hard to go back to,I fear people watching me take a golf shot and critising my every move.
But I find taking my camera out so much more relaxing,no one can judge my photo shots because no one can see them.if I do take a nice photo of a bird etc,then it makes me happy and I can perhaps share on social media or wherever.
Hope this helps
Hi Wainb. Thank you. It's always nice to hear I'm not the only one who suffers with anxiety. I will have to take everything in my stride and maybe take some headphones with me to drown out any noises until I grow with confidence. Your words are truly appreciated. Thank you.

I can understand it if you're in an urban area and interested in street photography perhaps. But, as has been suggested, get yourself out into the country where you can suit yourself. Maybe an old church, or something like that. But once you start clicking you'll soon get into the swing.
Thank you Plain Nev but I think I'm a bit too big for swings now. Haha. But thank you. I think one day I would like to do street photography. But for now nature will be by choice. I find looking at photos that show the human emotions through the photo is very powerful. Images of people at the highs and lows really stands out. Or the new developments meeting old historical buildings. It really can speak more than words could. Thank you for your kind words of advice. As I've said before in my responses your words are truly appreciated. Thank you.

I really don't have anything new to add. In my experience of being fearful, is that once you get past it you will look back and think why did I struggle with that? But with that said I just want to encourage you to get out and do it. You will be glad you did.

I really don't have anything new to add. In my experience of being fearful, is that once you get past it you will look back and think why did I struggle with that? But with that said I just want to encourage you to get out and do it. You will be glad you did.
Thank you PhotoVanGogh for your kind words. I can see from you kind forum users that I simply need to get out and shoot. Whether it's the countryside or in the future street photography. I truly appreciate your words. Thank you.

Thank you PhotoVanGogh for your kind words. I can see from you kind forum users that I simply need to get out and shoot. Whether it's the countryside or in the future street photography. I truly appreciate your words. Thank you.
Please share your next pictures, even if it's just Christmas and family. Just shoot...

Hi Robert.

I suffer from pretty much the same. Maybe you could try taking a sympathetic partner or friend with you? I find that when I'm with Mrs WW I attract much less attention than when I'm just a lone man wondering about with a camera. Another little tip might be to walk slowly and not dash about.

On the subject of DSLR's... Take a look at mirrorless Robert. It's the future.

Good luck with it all :D and remember to come back and post your thoughts and pictures here!
Thank you Woof Woof. Though it most certainly not be a pretty sight me trying to dash about. Haha. I will have to try and drag the misses out but I may have to bribe her with sweet treats for the outing. Haha. Thank you for your advice. It is truly appreciated.

My suggestions are first try going out with a friend and taking pics, the company may make you feel more comfortable. Also try really busy tourist places (sounds daft) but theres a load of other people taking pics and nobody will notice you, your just one of a crowd.
The truth is in most cases nobody will take any notice of you anyway, people these days are used to seeing people take pictures, and if you really want to hide put on a high-vis jacket, it's a sort of invisibility cloak, people may see the coat but they wont notice you.
Thank you for your kind words of advice. As I continue to say it really is appreciated. I will try your suggestions as well as the others. I could take snaps when I head into the town centre where lots of people congregate. Thank you

Thank you Woof Woof. Though it most certainly not be a pretty sight me trying to dash about. Haha. I will have to try and drag the misses out but I may have to bribe her with sweet treats for the outing. Haha. Thank you for your advice. It is truly appreciated.

I've noticed that when I'm with Mrs WW I get fewer accusing / suspicious looks than when I'm alone.

Good luck with it.

I've never had an issue that I can remember in the years I've been into photography.

Sunrise, sunset, inner city, countryside, woodlands, night skies, aurora, coastal.....

I understand your worry, but it's nothing to worry about :)

I've never had an issue that I can remember in the years I've been into photography.

Sunrise, sunset, inner city, countryside, woodlands, night skies, aurora, coastal.....

I understand your worry, but it's nothing to worry about :)

On the other hand I've been shouted and sworn at threatened and followed but I do live in a very non tourist working class area where people sometimes think I'm from "the council." :D

...and if you really want to hide put on a high-vis jacket, it's a sort of invisibility cloak, people may see the coat but they wont notice you.
This is so true.

Brings a whole new meaning to hiding in plain sight...

Older man yellow Jacket on motor bike 10D CAN_5619.jpg

Back