Helping Ukrainians

Name
John
Edit My Images
Yes
I've created a new thread so that those who don't go into 'The War in Ukraine' thread will see this.

A friend who lives in Oxford told me that in Oxford there's a collection centre for people to take all sorts of stuff that will be sent to Ukraine. I then Gooogled and found that the same sort of operation has been arranged here in Gloucester so my wife and I will be doing a shop and taking some of the items requested to the collection point on Saturday.. We'll also check in the attic where we have old duvets and bedding.

Here's what it's about if anyone is interested in helping in this way just Goofgle for your own location.

I think most towns will have some kind of set up. In many Scottish towns they are run by our Polish citizens. First and foremost Ukraine needs money, and increasingly now the basics, food, clothes, batteries... and something I thought of myself, seeds for vegetables.
My friend in UKr sent a pic of her local shop, lots of empty shelves. If the Russians don't give up the country is going be running short of foodstuffs so being able to grow their own in the garden will help.

We have a lot of this going on in Wellingborough and Kettering, both with sizable East European (predominately Polish) populations. In Kettering they are also supporting 8 abandoned Ukrainian HGV drivers who are stuck because their Russian-owned companies have had their fuel cards and vehicle papers sanctioned, so they can't make their way home to support their families.

Saw this on Reddit this morning.....

Almost unbelievably, you can book a lovely weekend getaway to Kyiv right now. (Other cities are available - Kherson is a bargain if you prefer a lively nightlife). Just head over to AirBnB and book something. They will even put you in direct contact with the host so you can explain that, unfortunately, flights are tricky at the moment so unfortunately you'll have to forfeit the booking. Of course they can keep the money.

There are a few groups locally collecting supplies and organising convoys of vans to drive it to the border.

Within our company we are putting the word out for any Ukranian engineering students that are able to get here that we could sponsor and offer work to as a way to at least continue their education/experience. Will have to see if anything comes of that.

What a do..lol. Today we had a chat with a person quite close to us who is collecting all sorts of items and sending them a couple of vans to Bristol tomorrow to be unloaded into a articulated vehicle that will be driven to eastern Hungary. She gave us an already-typed list of the kind of items that would be appreciated. We were able to get two pillows in the supermarket, too. No old bedding re Covid risk. On that list was paracetamol and Iboprufen, soap and waterproof plasters etc. We got to the till with two boxes each re the tablets . So, two Iboprufen and two paracetamol and were told that we could have only one box of paracetamol and one box of Iboprufen. That's the law. Re paracetamol..to help stop overdosing. So, we put through the till two boxes my wife had and she had to leave another two with the cashier. I then took mine from the items going through the till but also had to leave a box of each but kept one of each and paid separately. We put the shopping into the car and I went back in and got another pack each and went to a different till and did that again so eventually we got 4 boxes of each.. :rolleyes:

Saw this on Reddit this morning.....

Almost unbelievably, you can book a lovely weekend getaway to Kyiv right now. (Other cities are available - Kherson is a bargain if you prefer a lively nightlife). Just head over to AirBnB and book something. They will even put you in direct contact with the host so you can explain that, unfortunately, flights are tricky at the moment so unfortunately you'll have to forfeit the booking. Of course they can keep the money.

What a great idea. It helps both the fleeing Ukrainians and the person renting out the properties who will have income suddenly stopped.

What a do..lol. Today we had a chat with a person quite close to us who is collecting all sorts of items and sending them a couple of vans to Bristol tomorrow to be unloaded into a articulated vehicle that will be driven to eastern Hungary. She gave us an already-typed list of the kind of items that would be appreciated. We were able to get two pillows in the supermarket, too. No old bedding re Covid risk. On that list was paracetamol and Iboprufen, soap and waterproof plasters etc. We got to the till with two boxes each re the tablets . So, two Iboprufen and two paracetamol and were told that we could have only one box of paracetamol and one box of Iboprufen. That's the law. Re paracetamol..to help stop overdosing. So, we put through the till two boxes my wife had and she had to leave another two with the cashier. I then took mine from the items going through the till but also had to leave a box of each but kept one of each and paid separately. We put the shopping into the car and I went back in and got another pack each and went to a different till and did that again so eventually we got 4 boxes of each.. :rolleyes:
Thought Number of pkts was guidance but anyway all shops follow. Can’t remember where I saw the figures, had a drink tonight and feeling lazy, but overdoses from ibuprofen etc have dropped since the guidance was brought in - even though it is easy to get around.
Legislation apparently old link but anyway..

Last edited:
Re. Paracetamol. IIRC there's a limit of 32 tablets per customer at normal tills but if you go to a pharmacy counter, they can sell you larger quantities.

I think they can only now be purchased in strips whereas previously you could buy them in pots. That was also to reduce suicides apparently.

We have a large open architectural sculpture called the MK Rose,
It seems we are all invited to a vigil tomorrow to show support for the Ukrainians.
Is this like clapping for the NHS? Will they know? will they be grateful?

FFS MK, If you want to do something useful, donate, ( something) not send prayers !

We have a large open architectural sculpture called the MK Rose,
It seems we are all invited to a vigil tomorrow to show support for the Ukrainians.
Is this like clapping for the NHS? Will they know? will they be grateful?

FFS MK, If you want to do something useful, donate, ( something) not send prayers !

I thought it was maybe like a gathering showing support but by definition a vigil involves prayer and I see it's associated with these people...although the MK Rose Trust is not affiliated to any religious organisation.

The only sop I'll give is that they mean well...by praying. I imagine many of those attending will, hopefully, have contributed in a more meaningful way.

Sorry to put a dampener on all this, but do you really believe that sending all this stuff to the people fleeing the Ukraine is actually going to get to them?

Nearly all European countries are sending stuff, so there will certainly be no shortage. Added to the fact, there is little coordination either in where it is actually going to or how it will be distributed. I am sorry to say but a lot of stuff is going to end in a landfill.

If you want to help it would be far better to donate money to one of the many charities that are helping out there.

I thought it was maybe like a gathering showing support but by definition a vigil involves prayer and I see it's associated with these people...although the MK Rose Trust is not affiliated to any religious organisation.

The only sop I'll give is that they mean well...by praying. I imagine many of those attending will, hopefully, have contributed in a more meaningful way.
Thanks but I knew all that anyway :)

but do you really believe that sending all this stuff to the people fleeing the Ukraine is actually going to get to them?
I very much doubt it either.
I guess "we" can only hope that it ends up in a place, that many of them will..

Sorry to put a dampener on all this, but do you really believe that sending all this stuff to the people fleeing the Ukraine is actually going to get to them?

Nearly all European countries are sending stuff, so there will certainly be no shortage. Added to the fact, there is little coordination either in where it is actually going to or how it will be distributed. I am sorry to say but a lot of stuff is going to end in a landfill.

If you want to help it would be far better to donate money to one of the many charities that are helping out there.

I think ,at first,people saw the Ukrainians leaving their homes with none of the everyday items we all use and were desperate to help. My wife thought it was a better idea than giving money to charities where so much goes in admin. Having now seen just how the people of Poland,Hungary Romania, Moldova and Slovakia..the nearest to Ukraine, are doing and taking into consideration the logistics of getting donated items to Poland and sorting them ..Poland seems to be where most is going from here, I'm now of the opinion that, as a you say, donating money is a far more efficient means to support the effort. The Guardian points out that the charity..Disasters Emergency Committee [DEC] is the best because for any direct donation or via a Post Office every pound given is matched by the government up to the value of £20m.

Also, the experienceed staff will know how best to allocate the funds. The British Red Cross was highlighted too which, whilst having its own appeal, is part of DEC. Apart from helping those in Ukraine donations will help its teams on the Polish, Slovakian, Romanian, Hungarian, Moldovan and Lithuanian borders to provide accommodation, food, water and other aid items to refugees. So all in all money donated is best.

I won't tell my wife about the landfill :)

Wonder how popular the government scheme will be for people to offer Ukrainians a home for six months?

One of the companies which I am a director for was looking at taking goods over in a vehicle, but we decided to donate £1,000 to the DEC for every full time member of staff (47). I felt that this was the best way of supporting.

Back