Helsinki City DRI

Name
Tomas
Edit My Images
No
Hi,
My first stab at a DRI:popcorn:
I've had some big troubles getting this image sharp for web use, normally I down size in increments of 500px at a time, the original is uber sharp and nice but this just isn't. I'm sure there must be a better way. Can anyone help?
TuomiokirkkoDRI800web.jpg

I too like it. I guess the DRI is High Dynamic Range ??

Oh oh....

DRI - sounds ominous :cautious:...

Dynamic Range Increase at a guess?

Well done that man! it is indeed! well, a first try at one.
All blending of three exposure as layers in CS3.

I think I have used that technique quite a lot, not done it for a few months now. Take one with good sky, one with good forground, and blend?

Gary.

looks fine for sharpness and I like the composure. The processing seems to have left it a bit flat but that could be me.

I think I have used that technique quite a lot, not done it for a few months now. Take one with good sky, one with good forground, and blend?

Gary.

Quite right Gary, I found that if you open the raw's in adobe camera raw and then open them as smart objects, you can edit the individual layers as a psd, enabling you to then save and update the master psd non destructively.
It was loads of fun and opened my eyes to a new approach to processing.
It won't stop me from using photomatix though, I still love that programme despite it's off days.

looks fine for sharpness and I like the composure. The processing seems to have left it a bit flat but that could be me.

The flatness is my fault, I used an aperture of f16!

Fantastic image, I am very impresed. Such a better way to do things than HDR. I have yet to see a HDR image that I have liked or could even wonder how anyone would buy or like. This impresses me :)

Fantastic image, I am very impresed. Such a better way to do things than HDR. I have yet to see a HDR image that I have liked or could even wonder how anyone would buy or like. This impresses me :)
I have done about 10 HDR's, deleted all but these two, what do you think? Honest - if they are crap, tell me!

Sorry for the repost...very interested though...

2519793940_55028fafed_o.jpg

2519794042_7a961968e5_o.jpg

Gary.

I have done about 10 HDR's, deleted all but these two, what do you think? Honest - if they are crap, tell me!

Sorry for the repost...very interested though...

Gary.

Number one is a belter! did you do that one with your new gear?

Sharpness looks OK to me.

For resizing for the web I downsize in one go to whatever size I want to post (e.g. 800 pixels wide), convert to LAB and in the Lightness channel I use Smart Sharpen filter, gaussian blur, 300%, 0.3 pixels, more accurate box ticked.

To give it a touch more pop you can dupe your sharpened image to a new layer then smart sharpen it again using something like 30%, 20 pixels and set opacity around 20% - 50% ish. Flatten, convert back to RGB, convert profile to sRGB (if needed) and save.

I have it all set up as an action so when I'm happy with the high res I can save it and hit my 'resize/sharpen/pop/convert' action button :)

The only slight ( minor) criticism I have is that it looks a tad washed out for a DRI
I had a little fiddle in CS3 but I won't post it as you don't have "edit" ticked

Sharpness looks OK to me.

For resizing for the web I downsize in one go to whatever size I want to post (e.g. 800 pixels wide), convert to LAB and in the Lightness channel I use Smart Sharpen filter, gaussian blur, 300%, 0.3 pixels, more accurate box ticked.

To give it a touch more pop you can dupe your sharpened image to a new layer then smart sharpen it again using something like 30%, 20 pixels and set opacity around 20% - 50% ish. Flatten, convert back to RGB, convert profile to sRGB (if needed) and save.

I have it all set up as an action so when I'm happy with the high res I can save it and hit my 'resize/sharpen/pop/convert' action button :)

Thanks for that tip Mohain! Works really well! Your a champion.

IMG_3802aa.jpg

The only slight ( minor) criticism I have is that it looks a tad washed out for a DRI
I had a little fiddle in CS3 but I won't post it as you don't have "edit" ticked

I'm having some trouble with my photo host, the colours go funky and the brightness changes when I upload. but go right ahead mate, I don't mind at all. Lets have a butchers (y)

Really like this image, but Mohain's tip re the sharpening has really made a difference. :)

Great shot and technique Thomas. I prefer your version to Chris' which I feel is slightly overdone (could be because he is working on a smaller version) however he has added a little warmth which might benefit the shot and is worth investigating.

Mohain - Great little sharpening tip. You should add it to the tutorials section (If you haven't already done so :))

(y)

Really like this image, but Mohain's tip re the sharpening has really made a difference. :)

Hey thanks, Mohain's tip is more than a help to me, I just need the time to update all the images on my web now!

Great shot and technique Thomas. I prefer your version to Chris' which I feel is slightly overdone (could be because he is working on a smaller version) however he has added a little warmth which might benefit the shot and is worth investigating.

Mohain - Great little sharpening tip. You should add it to the tutorials section (If you haven't already done so :))

(y)

Cheers Gary! If you've done some digitial blending/dri before on your landscapes point me in the direction mate, would love to see.
Yeah the smaller versions are harder to tweak, I'm not sure why the original after uploading lost some colour and blacks :shrug:
I boosted the saturation after Mohains fab lab tric and that seemed to work much better.

I'm having some trouble with my photo host, the colours go funky and the brightness changes when I upload. but go right ahead mate, I don't mind at all. Lets have a butchers (y)

Convert profile to sRGB before saving your jpeg and uploading it should sort this (assuming you're working in some other profile than sRGB in Photoshop).

Thanks HUN. Yes, keep meaning to get round to it. I plan on refining my action to be a bit more generic and make that available too. Will try to get round to it this weekend.

Back