Helsinki City HDR's (My first calendar)

Name
Tomas
Edit My Images
No
A bit old these ones, I did a series of black and white shots to be made into a calendar earlier this year, the calendar has been on sale for a while now so I'm safe to post a few images.
It's been on sale in Stockmann, Kiasma, and Helsinki Art Gallery, since the beginning of August and is selling very well. The publisher has even printed these cool notebooks too, all black and nice! Smell the glove!
Before this I had never done anything quite like it, not exactly the Pulitzer prize but still I'm reasonably happy.

Not all of them are HDR by the way.

1: This was the cover, I thought I put the colour version up though :)
3060712255_b11e11457d_o.jpg

2:
3060739793_d23eaf6695_o.jpg

3:
3061576866_7eea328c5a_o.jpg

4:
3061577292_df39997ec8_o.jpg

5:
3060740495_dc058dd8fd_o.jpg

6:
3060740735_ebdab52492_o.jpg

7:
3061577984_8930689ca3_o.jpg

8: The Calendar
_TDW5519-Edit.jpg

9: The Note Books
_TDW5530-Edit.jpg

Last edited:
They look very nice, great captive photos. I'm envious!

The cover photo looks great in colour or B&W. (y)

How many would you say you've sold?

Congratulations on the calendar and the note books. I prefer the cover image although #2 is attractive in an eerie sort of way.

Well, I'd buy one if I was in Sveden. :)

As always, love your work Tomas! And you've got the coolest grafitti 'copyright' tag too!

What's with the 'bit of building' on the right of the cover image though? I thought you might have kept it in shot knowing that with bleed it'd end up cropped off, but I still see a bit creeping into frame on both the notebook and calendar covers. That would bug me.

They look very nice, great captive photos. I'm envious!

The cover photo looks great in colour or B&W. (y)

How many would you say you've sold?

Cheers Tim,

There's another sales report due soon but the last report which was in September quoted around 700 sold. I'd imagine that we may be over a thousand by now (fingers crossed).
The notebooks seem to be more popular, the first 500 or so flew out and now the publisher has printed another 3000! So far 4000 calendars have been printed, I do hope they all go by Jan 09.

Congratulations on the calendar and the note books. I prefer the cover image although #2 is attractive in an eerie sort of way.

Cheers buddy! (y)

What's with the 'bit of building' on the right of the cover image though? I thought you might have kept it in shot knowing that with bleed it'd end up cropped off, but I still see a bit creeping into frame on both the notebook and calendar covers. That would bug me.

Well, it's a toughie, the white cathedral building in the background is 'Tuomiokirkko', probably one of the most photographed buildings in Helsinki, every post card/gift shops racks are festooned with images of Tuomiokirkko, my mission was to grab a shot that hadn't been done before, thus squeezin a bit of Cafe Engel and the old skool phone box (only a couple left) in seemed to impress the publisher mightily.

Overall I took about 500 shots over three months and the ones that were chosen were all beyond my understanding or comprehension.

I understand now though and that's because a knowledge of the buildings and the locations heritage is needed to 'appreciate' what I couldn't at the time.
Some of the shots I was planning on binning were the clients favourites. :bonk:

Well, I'd buy one if I was in Sveden. :)

Sveden???!!!:LOL:

I'm sure I can sort one out for you mate, I can buy them for cost price if your interested, it's 10 euro so about 8 and half quid plus postage which would be around 5-7 euro.

PM me if you want one bud (y) Nice one for the kind words (y)

Last edited:
Your shots really amaze me...

#2 and #3 for me Tomas, cracking shots. Congrats on the publications.

Beautiful shots. (But I must confess, blacksmithing does not seem a job best done in the nude. :eek::LOL:) However, I very much like that image, with the lone young woman featured.)

Hi Tomas, assuming you speak Finnish, here is something!

Terve Tomas! Sinun kuvia on todella kaunis! Kun mina katsoin sinun kuvia, mina ikava helsinki!

Paljon Kiitoksia!

Terveisin,

Andrew

Hi Tomas, assuming you speak Finnish, here is something!

Terve Tomas! Sinun kuvia on todella kaunis! Kun mina katsoin sinun kuvia, mina ikava helsinki!

Paljon Kiitoksia!

Terveisin,

Andrew

Kiitos kovasti Andrew!

Sinä puhut oikein hyvin suomea! And I don't :LOL:

I know little bits here and there but not enough really. As a new years resolution I promised myself I will start to take more classes.
I was learning in Brum before I migrated but it was too expensive.

When were you in Helsinki last? Did you live here a while?

T

Back