Helvellyn via Striding Edge

Edit My Images
Yes
Still very new to the world of photography so be gentle please.:)

Went up Helvellyn in the lake district a few weeks back.

1. Helvellyn from the "Hole in the wall"
IMG_1444_edited-1.jpg

2. Helvellyn with Striding Edge on the left and Swirrel Edge on the right
IMG_1453_edited-1.jpg

3.Striding Edge
IMG_1454_edited-1.jpg

4.The start proper of Striding Edge
IMG_1460_edited-1.jpg

5.On Striding Edge
IMG_1466_edited-1.jpg

6. Striding Edge from the top
IMG_1474_edited-1.jpg

7. At the top with Red tarn below
IMG_1477_edited-1.jpg

8.Ulswater and Glen Ridding on the way back down
IMG_1524_edited-1.jpg

Excellent set of images, very well captured, looks like you had a good day, did it last year, very interesting route. :)

nothing like it looked when I was up there a few months back, all I could see was white!

Nice pics they look a little soft though.

Excellent set of images, very well captured, looks like you had a good day, did it last year, very interesting route. :)

Strinding Edge was incredible.(y)

We had really good weather I think it would be quite interesting doing it in high winds or in the wet.:wacky:

By 'eck that takes me back, been a good few years since I did Striding Edge.
As to the photos, its a nice set, your composition is ok (No's 6 & 8 in particular are very good) but they could all do with a little punch. I'm presuming you don't have or sensibly didn't carry graduating filters with you so your skies are a little washed out and all of them would probably be helped with a contrast boost.
All in all a good set though, look forward to seeing more.

Cheers

Andy

Hi Andy.

I'm still very new to photography and your right I dont have any graduated filters. The only filters that I do have are UV filters to protect the lens from scratches. Do you have any recomendations for what sort of filters I should be looking at.

I not done much if any PP to them so I'll try putting them through photoshop to bump up the contrast.

Cheers
Mark

Looks like you had some really nice weather up there. :)
5 & 6 are my favs. They show the edge very well.

Andy S

Really liking #6 & #7 (y), these 2 really stand out. The rest seem a little generic for me.

Hi Andy.

I'm still very new to photography and your right I dont have any graduated filters. The only filters that I do have are UV filters to protect the lens from scratches. Do you have any recomendations for what sort of filters I should be looking at.

I not done much if any PP to them so I'll try putting them through photoshop to bump up the contrast.

Cheers
Mark

Hi Mark,

I use a set of (fairly) cheap Cokin Neutral Density Graduating Filters (Light, medium & strong). These are darker at the top so allow you to keep more detail in the sky. You need an adaptor ring which screws into the end of your lens and a holder which attaches to the adaptor, then you slide in whichever filter you choose (there are literally hundreds of different sorts doing many different things). Have a look at the Cokin website, its a bit confusing at first but you'll soon get the hang of it. I think this is a good example of what you can do, this was all 3 filters used at once.

http://www.talkphotography.co.uk/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=63140&ppuser=9279

Cheers

Andy

I hope you dont mind but I have adjusted one of your pictures a bit and picked up on Andy Snaps comments earlier, what do you think?

showphoto.php
[/url][/IMG]

Last edited:
Nice series of shots...the harsh lighting has washed them out a little so they look a bit flat, the ND grads would have helped the sky but made no difference to the mountains - personally I think a polariser has a better chance of giving shots a bit more punch in lighting like these although there's no guarantee

I remember the walk well, haven't done it for a few years but this makes me want to again !!

simon

Back