Herbert Ponting exhibition of photographs and memorobilia

Name
Dave
Edit My Images
No
Mostly pictures from Captain Scott’s Terra Nova expedition, but other fascinating artifacts and info about the man and his cameras.

The Atkinson, Southport until 2nd September.

_7512946-2.jpg

_7512944-2.jpg

_7512945-2.jpg

Edited to replace photos.

Last edited:
He did an amazing photographic tour of Japan, if any of that work is on display it is also very worth seeing

He did an amazing photographic tour of Japan, if any of that work is on display it is also very worth seeing
There were only some small prints from that in a display on a covered table/vitrine.

I've just finished reading a biography of Ponting. What a life he had. Sad that most of his ventures didn't result in the financial rewards he hoped for. Although bad luck did play a part in that at times.

I have his book of the Antarctic expedition with loads of photos from his glass plates in, quite amazing stuff. You'd have thought the glass would be in great danger of cracking due to the cold.

I have his book of the Antarctic expedition with loads of photos from his glass plates in, quite amazing stuff. You'd have thought the glass would be in great danger of cracking due to the cold.
And also at risk when at sea through some of the storms they endured. Amazing to think he had a darkroom onboard ship and at the antarctic base. Also that he did off-camera flash, outdoors, with multiple flashes using flash powder. Joe McNally eat your heart out!

Last edited:
Back