Here Is The Dilemma on 5D MK iv with 1.4 Extender

Name
Russell
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi,Moving back to the UK in the next couple months and want to shuffle my gear, I use a Canon 7D mk ll along with a 400mm F5.6L lens and a 1.4 converter (yes I no loose down to F8) but I want to go for a Canon 5D MK iv so if my maths are correct that would give me around 560mm and I assum again with the 5D an F8? would I like a 600mm F4? yes, Can I afford a 600mm F4? no. So anyone like to give any for or against the 400mm with the 1.4 extender on a 5D MK iv please? Thankyou, Russ.

A 400 mm f5.6 with 1.4x converter will become a 560 mm f8 on any camera. I thought the 7D2 and 5D4 were AF up to f8 (maybe single point only).

5d3 & 400 f5.6 & 1.4 will give you f8 single point focus. I believe you get better than this with 5d4 BUT it depends on which model TC I believe. Combo works well on 5d3 see no reason why it wouldn't be better on the mk4. Download a copy of the mk 4 manual and check the lens/TC page for actual af points.

join a site called JUZA.COM you can match virtually model make of lens and camera plus tc combos and see what others get

Russ I can't answer this question others here might,, so I'll ask the question for you it that's ok ....would your money be better spent on better glass??

stu

Russ I can't answer this question others here might,, so I'll ask the question for you it that's ok ....would your money be better spent on better glass??

stu
Hi thankyou for the reply. To be honest I don't have a problem with the 400mm F5.6 apart from that F5.6;) I in all honesty cannot afford the 600mm F4 but maybe one day? I am considering selling my 100-400mm MK l lens and going for a either a Sigma or Tamron with the 600mm reach, would I use the wide end of either? not very often, I have the 1.4 MKll extender and find that it works well with the 400mm albeit at F8, I am how ever dissapointed with the ISO on the 7D mk ll, yes crop sensor but above around ISO 1600 I find it producing noise that I did not expect from what has been over the last years championed by many as the best crop Canon has produced, with the Canon 5D MK iv yes I will loose the 1.6 crop factor but beleive will get better base images even attaching the 1.4 extender mk ll. Thanks again, Russ.

Sigma 150-600mmC is what I would recommend. I have had two, the first I sold when I got a 500mmf4 but bought another shortly after lugging the 500 around for a few weeks. The primes are heavy the Sigma is not and is hand holdable making it a very user friendly lens. It also has great stabilisation and a reasonable close focus.. A mate of mine used to have the 100-400ii on his 5Div and then tried my Sigma for superbikes and bought one the next week as simply thought 600mm was the way forward.

Back