http://www.dpreview.com/news/0801/08012403canoneos450d.asp

12.2 megapixel CMOS sensor
SD/SDHC cards
Larger viewfinder
Live view mode, including contrast-detect AF
Improved 9-point AF system
Spot metering

3.0" LCD monitor
Redesigned menus (including My Menu as seen in 40D)
Slightly redesigned info display
Continuous shooting at 3.5fps for up to 53 JPEG (6 RAW)
ISO setting displays in viewfinder and ISO button
New, larger, higher capacity battery
14 bit A/D converter and processing
Multi-shot self-timer mode
Highlight Tone Priority (from 40D)
Auto Lighting Optimiser (boosts shadows after shooting)

due out in March in the UK which is a shame really as it looks like im going for the 40D as i can't wait that long for a camera lol.

That'll cause some interest! I couldn't find any mention of the price. Any idea ?

Previous rumours put the price around £500, but time will tell. Have to say this sounds rather tasty, even though it'll mean buying new batteries as the ones from my 350d probably won't fit!

That'll cause some interest! I couldn't find any mention of the price. Any idea ?

Some are saying $900 with kit lens which works out to about £700 here:eek: I can get a 40D body only for less
Thou honestly i reckon around the same price as the 400D was when that launched.

so who was saying no live view? :LOL:

Yeah but the EU price is 799 or 749 Euros (body only.. that'll do for me).. is that about £700 too?

Nope £550-£599 but for what 40 quid more you can get a 40D body.
£550 inc the lens would be a good price & say £450 for the body.

Well I won't be buying til June-ish anyway so the price should be settled by then. I find the list price isn't quite what you pay in the shops/online.

You will have to buy new memory cards too,bit of a pain if you,ve already got a few large CF cards.

That spec sheet is going to annoy the competition provided they can keep the price down! Should see the 400D going for some bargin prices as well!

SD cards thats gonna have an impact on those that like 2 bodies.

I must say though, this is surely going to damage to 40D sales. Very 40dish with not much removed TBH.

I hate SD cards, too fiddly and fragile. However a lot of compacts would have them so it makes sense for Canon to do this, so new compact users migrating to dslr's don't have to buy SD cards.

Good sounding spec - spot metering and so on. Will steal some sales from the 40D although I thing the 40D will still be able to stand on its own merits.

Looking at this you've got the choice of a 450D or 5d if you look after your gear and don't need the stronger body as the 40d I feel has been left a little high and dry spec-wise if the 450d price is competitive. Spot metering too (y)

My only comment would be that unless Canon have done extra work on the sensor then the smaller photosites of the 12MP 450D will mean increased noise against the 10MP of the 40D.

Since owning a 40D I'd never go back to the plastic bodied xxxD series. It's not just about features but build quality, durability and handling.

Still, it's certainly a lot of camera for an entry model :D

WTF???? Crazy! Why would someone go for the 40D now? Slightly faster FPS seems the only benefit.

Great for the entry level user but a very strange move from Canon whom have just undermined the majority of their recent mid-range market :shrug:

WTF???? Crazy! Why would someone go for the 40D now? Slightly faster FPS seems the only benefit.

Durability and size? Having held a 400D in my hands last Saturday for the first time I found it small and not very comfortable to hold.

Great for the entry level user but a very strange move from Canon whom have just undermined the majority of their recent mid-range market :shrug:

Staying ahead or equal to the competition I assume is their game.

That was my thought too, not impressed at only just got my 40D - bloody Canon :bang:

Again, at that point in the market it's megapixels that sell not image quality, build quality, handling or durability.

Just before Xmas I had 3 people in my office ask me about buying cameras. Only one of them realised that more MP doesn't necessarily mean better results.

That is quite a list of features for an entry level camera. Still doesn't have a display on top of the camera though, to me, that is worth a fair bit in itself.

Durability and size? Having held a 400D in my hands last Saturday for the first I found it small and not very comfortable to hold.

Size - granted. Durability? not convinced. yes the 40d is alloy not plastic, but the real test at this level is shutter actuations not body shell.

Staying ahead or equal to the competition I assume is their game.

Rather obviously, but the point i made was this has been done at the expense of a loyal mid-range consumer base.

i still use a 1dmkII and 20D...I get blow ups to 30x20" which are fantastic. though I do believe there is a growing demand to produce higher res pics, personally at least, thats the only reason why I'd look to a 5d replacement or 1ds...otherwise I'm quite capable of getting the shot with what i've got.

Live view! Yes! I'll be ordering one asap (and a new grip too, shame...........)

Re durability: Our old 300D (three/four? years old now) is still going strong and is used almost daily. Unless you are working in a war zone, and take care with your kit, the 300/350/400/450D body is just fine.

The specs look great for an entry level body but nothing in there makes be regret buying the 40D - with a bit of luck it will push the 40D price down a bit more and then I'll buy another ;)

Seems to me to be a very highly specced "entry" level DSLR. I wonder if Canon are creating space for a lower model, more similar to the D40.

Seems like theyre targetting the 'snapper' rather than photographers that are likely to upgrade through the range.

Still hasn't got the spiny wheel control on the back which for me is a major plus point in the xxD series alongwth the top LCD. Also the bigger screen seems to have been shoe horned in at the expense of the button layout just to tick the 3" screen box allthough they have made the body bigger which is a plus point for me.
Pricing and availability will be interesting come release day and so should the response from nikon as on paper the 450D ticks alot of boxes that the D40x doesn't and thats what counts at this end ofhe market.

I think the nikon D60 will proberly be well spec aswell & this time add AF into the body it be pretty similar to the 450D spec wise.

Yep, the 2 control dials were my main reason for going from 350d to the next series, 30d. It really is a major thing for me... so my 40d rocks!!! (y)

I can see how this camera would be aimed at people wishing to upgrade from a compact p&s and are mostly looking at on paper tech specs as opposed to actual usability, comfort and control layout.

I wouldnt even consider this camrea, I dont like the 300/350/400 range as I find them far to small and fiddly for me personally. It always feels like I have to hold the camera by my fingertips when I use my gf's 350d. The 20d more or less fits my hand and allows me to comfortably carry around for hours. (I use a hand strap)

Back