Here it is the Canon 450D ie XSI

It looks great on paper. I`m just about to buy a 40D, so I may just wait a little longer to see this one in the flesh. I currently run a 350D with a battery grip. I would agree with the mention of shoehorning in the LCD though.

Hahaha yeah I was majorly wrong.

This new one dosen't make sense tho, the've made it too close to the 40D.

Oh and I was right about the scroll wheel, at least give me that lol. Oh and ISO not being 3200.

However you can still tell that it's their lowest grade camera, they have intentionally not upgraded features (like the FPS, only 3.5, only .5 of an improvement. Could have taken it to 5 if they wanted).

Body is very similar, looks nicer though, alot smoother than before. Definatly looks more like the higher-end Canon cameras now, which is nice.

As for upgrade routes, I personally would never upgrade from a 350/400D, realistically they are actually ALOT smaller than the 40D and above, plus they lack some key features which make these higher-end cameras great (such as build quality, scroll wheel top LCD which I think is so much better than the back LCD thing for settings and stuff). However saying that it would be a good way to go from perhaps a 350D. Maybe even a 400D actually, thev'e added enough features for it to be a viable option.

Anybody seen the sample shots with the 450D on Canon website my god noise a ISO200 that not good.

The whole reason I would buy a 450 over the 40 is size! I can't be the only person in the world who has a problem with things being too big (ooher matron).

Anybody seen the sample shots with the 450D on Canon website my god noise a ISO200 that not good.

Got a link, I can't seem to find them!

The whole reason I would buy a 450 over the 40 is size! I can't be the only person in the world who has a problem with things being too big (ooher matron).

Far from it, why do you think Canon keep the xxxD series so small, it's all about tempting people into the DSLR market and it's a big leap from even most bridge cameras to te xxD range so they stick in the xxxD as a half way house.

£600 is a lot for an entry level camera. I can't believe the standard kit will be body only though.

Hi,
i am just about to purchase my first DSLR obvoouisly waited till after christmas for the prices to go down, after settling on a 400d, today find out about the 450d! i am a student therefore price is a rather large element, i am desperate to get my hands on my first DSLR but now dont know whether to hold out for the 450d, although i think it will be two expensive (on top of lenses and everything) or still go for the 400d, although will the price of the 400d drop even more now? some advice would be greatly appriciated, new to this forumn and a little confused!

The 400 replaced the 350D which rather than being pensioned off, was repositioned as a lower entry level. I would imagine the 400D to be repositioned to the 350D position.

What happens to the 350D now is anyones guess...

you're not alone, I try to keep all my travel gear small & light for motorbike camping but even in general use I stopped carting my old full slr kit around over 10 years ago because it weighed a ton and was bulky.
The 400d packs small enough & light enough with the plastic kit lens that I dont have to use a P&S.
Small & light DSLR is good (y)

Wow £600 is alot for an entry level camera, I got my 40D with a grip for that much lol.

Canon's SRPs are always really expensive though, you never have to pay that much.

You will probably be able to pick one up for about £500. Price will probably drop to £450 after the first 6 months, and then £400 after 12.

Well I wont pretend to understand all the technobabble and features on DSLR's but I'm glad I bought the 400D when I did. Even if the 450 comes in between £500 - £550, I still think the 400D is a great entry level camera. I paid £380 for my 400D and it is everything I want in beginners camera, and at an affordable price. It will be worth looking at this new one as an upgrade maybe in a couple of years, but for those who are now confused which one to buy, you wont go wrong with either.

i think il wait till its out, but will probably go for the 400d as the 450d is really quite a lot out of my budget espcially when you start thinking about the accessories and everything (already got my eye on some lovely lenses)thanks for the info

WarehouseExpress have preorder set at £599 for body only and £679 for body and 18-55mm kit lens. Well out of my range.

That is likely to make the 40d look expensive. The only thing that lets it down against the 40d (in spec terms) is the 3.5 fps. I imagine that Canon could have easliy matched the peformance of the 40d in this respect too given that it has the same processor. Perhaps they chose not to in order maintain one attribute of the 40d which beats the 450d on paper.

It will be interesting to see how it handles noise at 12mp.

That and the 450D looks like it's been smacked round the mount with an ugly stick.

The xxxD range are just too small for me to handle, the 300D is perhaps the only one I've comfortably held, but even then the button layout was horrible.

Put it this way, my 40D order hasn't been cancelled.

That is likely to make the 40d look expensive. The only thing that lets it down against the 40d (in spec terms) is the 3.5 fps.

The 40D has got better AF, better build quality, better quality sensor (just becuase the 450D has a 12MP dosen't make it better. Using that logic the 450D would be better than the 5D...LOL), scroll wheel, better ISO, lower noise at higher ISOs, top LCD and C-modes. That's just to name a few.

So it's quite alot better than the 450D.

Of course they could have made the 450D with basically the same features ast the 40D, but that would have been completely stupid, the 40D woulden't sell.

I realised that a camera with a lower MP count can be superior to one with a higher MP count. Indeed, many compact cameras are often fitted with lenses which simply don't have the resolving power to match the advertised MP count of the camera.

The 400D shares the same sensor as the 40D. Hence, assuming that the censor on the 450D is better than that on the 400D, then it is also going to have a superior sensor to that of the 40D.

I realise that the 40D handles noise far better than the 400d but much of this is going to be down to signal processing. Given that 450D is going to have the same processor as the 40D it's likely that it will handle noise just as well (although a greater MP count may have a negative effect on noise).

To be honest, I'm not sure if I prefer the handling of the 40D to that of the 400d, however, I've got smallish hands.

400D has Digic II 12bit processing
40D has Digic III 14bit processing
450D has Digic III 14bit processing

The 450D has same processor as the 40D not the 400D.

Actually the 40D and 400D don't share the same sensor. The 40D's sensor is based on the 400D but is a more advanced version with microlenses to help with sensitivity.

Back