Hero 8 or Hero 9?

Name
Simon Everett
Edit My Images
Yes
Does anyone use a Hero 8? I have never used a GoPro so don't know about them... is it worth the extra for the hero 9? There is a brand new hero 8 package going unused from a chap in my motorbike club.... not sure whether it will be plenty good enough for me, or whether the 14Mp stills from video might be useful - that said the 12Mp stills from the Hero 8 are likeluy to be plenty good enough for A4.

What you reckon?

Is it the black version?
If the price is good, buy it....

Last edited:
Just get a cheap Chinese copy. Mine has the same output as my old GoPro and saved hundreds.

Do they have the same level and quality of inbuilt stabilisation as the new go pros though?

Do they have the same level and quality of inbuilt stabilisation as the new go pros though?
Definitely not.
That's a lot of what you're paying for....but if you don't need the best stabilisation then the cheap Chinese ones might be OK....

Last edited:
GoPro are overpriced and are notorious through all models for crashing so you have to take the battery out and restart.
Only you can't always tell they have crashed so can be 'recording' for ten minutes then realise it's locked up
A much better option is the DJI Osmo Action.
It is pretty much on a par with Hero8 features.
It won't crash and lock up.
The Hero9 has some clever extra stuff but the price :eek:

GoPro are overpriced and are notorious through all models for crashing so you have to take the battery out and restart.
Only you can't always tell they have crashed so can be 'recording' for ten minutes then realise it's locked up
A much better option is the DJI Osmo Action.
It is pretty much on a par with Hero8 features.
It won't crash and lock up.
The Hero9 has some clever extra stuff but the price :eek:

Thanks for that - I was asking because of this unused package coming available. The Osmo Action will likely match with the drone better than another make anyway.
Much obliged everyone.

I had the hero8 silver. I hated it, crashed quite a few times with a battery you couldn't remove. This meant I lost some what would have been amazing videos.

If buying go for the black version. You can remove the battery etc.

Not used the hero 9, but I don't feel the value for money can be benefited by most.

I've not used the osmo action, but they do look really good. DJI make some awesome kit. Their customer service is a little sketchy.

I definitely reccomend going for a gopro or Dji Osmo, you can't compare the quality of build to other Chinese made stuff.

Not had the 8 but had the 5 and 7 and have had the 9 now for about a month. Not used it in real anger yet, but enough smaller clips to come to a conclusion, and that is that it is most definitely a noticeable upgrade from my 7.

Image stabilization is just superb and the bigger battery really does give a meaningful difference to run time, and the front facing LCD screen is superb for selfies etc. The Hyper lapse feature is on another level and slow-motion video has had a big boost (as have frame rates generally). Another thing is that like the 7 and those before, the 9 has a removable glass lens should it be damaged or scratched, whereas the 8 didn't (was fixed), and GoPro pretty much said if the lens was damaged the camera was toast. Although to be realistic I think you would have to be pretty brutal or very clumsy to damage the screen on the 8. TBH, over the 7 it's not one thing that's better but a whole host of them. Oh, and to date (although it's only been a month), I've not had one single crash.

But there's no getting away from the fact that the 9 is expensive for what it is.

Back