Heron caught a frog

Edit My Images
Yes
I happened to be looking out of my kitchen window a couple of days ago and spotted a heron breakfasting on the contents of my neighbour's pond. Haven't told him why his frog population is diminishing ... might get some more photos yet!

heronandfrog.jpg

my first thought was poor frog.... my 2nd though was isnt that a bit random to casually spot a heron! or am i too city girl haha?

Well caught. Don't think the neighbour will mind too much as long as it is not his koi that are going missing.

Poor frog but hey ho - always nice to catch a bit of nature going on in the back yard.

Well caught.

my first thought was poor frog.... my 2nd though was isnt that a bit random to casually spot a heron! or am i too city girl haha?

This probably was in a city ...and I have spotted many things randomly.

Good capture.

Keith (y)

I'm fortunate to live in quite a rural area. The heron has its home base about half a mile away down by the river but visits the area round my house fairly regularly but usually stays just outside the garden in the fields to the rear. Luckily I happened to have my camera lying around with a 200mm lens on just as I saw it arrive near to my neighbour's pond.

Well caught. Don't think the neighbour will mind too much as long as it is not his koi that are going missing.

With my naked eye I thought it was the fish it was taking and it was only when I downloaded the photo did I realise it was a frog ... that's what I find so useful in bird photography ... the fact that having a photo makes identification issues so much easier because of the long time available to look at a photo compared to the split second of real time.

Agree the heron did well

Nice pic too (y)

Not sure my neighbour would agree with you Alan!

Thanks to everyone for your comments.

Back