Wild Heron on the River, Bedford

Canon EOS60D (ancient, I know!) with a Canon EF-S 18-135 USM lens. 1/400 @F8 ISO 200

maybe a bit too far away for a 135mm - but I'd also try a much higher shutter speed @ your (most light) fvalue and put the ISO on auto and see how you go

(and if you can use a tripod with birds it always helps especially when using "less modern" lenses)

Last edited:
maybe a bit too far away for a 135mm - but I'd also try a much higher shutter speed @ your (most light) fvalue and put the ISO on auto and see how you go

(and if you can use a tripod with birds it always helps especially when using "less modern" lenses)
Thanks, Bill. So, basically you're saying it's not sharp enough! I agree - although I think it's sharper than it looks in the forum post.
The 18-135 is my "walkabout" lens - I'd have taken my 70-300 and a tripod if I'd known the heron was going to be there.

The lens has image stabilisation so I was expecting 1/400 to be fast enough, but I could have opened it up to F5.6 and used ISO400. (The 60D is a bit noisy over that.)

This is the scene:
IMG_3237.jpg
I'd moved round to the right for the shots I posted first, in order to get the line of floaty / buoy things out of the background!

IMG_3238.jpg

Thanks Gareth - I've taken a lot of bird shots and it's never easy - all I would add is that the higher shutter speed you can achieve the better - noise can be a bit confusing, IMHO, I had good shots at high ISO's and bad shots at low

I also agree that shots on here can appear worse than on your own computer in your editing programme - why? it's something that I have never been able to figure out

Best wishes

Last edited:
Back