Name
Mike
Edit My Images
No
First post guys, be gentle :)

I recently received a generous gift of a pristine Nikon D7000 with an additional Nikon 50mm lens (AF-S Nikkor 50mm 1:1:8 G), and a MacBook Pro running Adobe CC. We were also given a great flash and tripod too.

You see, as an upshot of a family crisis, my determined and beautiful wife started a home business in food production to help us financially survive and start a new chapter in our story - a business that is doing really well now. She instagram's like crazy (and FB/twitter) and is learning creative media quickly using her iPhone 8Plus.

We mainly take pictures and video of food and inspirational recipes, but we hope to learn how to improve the quality of our content with our new bits and bobs.

We are fairly savvy and already have picked up a lot of tips on Youtube and a local well known photographer and videographer.

I know I cannot post in some of the threads right now, but a few prominent Youtubers have led us to believe that we need to go 'macro' and do the whole reversing the lens thing. I'd love to know what opinions are on this, and also what the right 'ring' adapter is for my camera lens.

Looking forward to connecting!

FD.

Last edited:
Welcome!

May I suggest a slightly different approach? I think you should pick up some books on the subject, instead of learning from just youtubers and bloggers. Although educational, their goal is to get views and gears sold, and you'll only pick up tips and tricks and will spend way more on gears that you probably don't need.

The Food Photography book by Nicole Young (no aff. with the author) is quite good, the older edition goes for pennies. Another good one is "Light Science & Magic", you should search around for it.

To answer your question. Reversing lens and macro lenses both aim to bring the object closer to the camera and revealing details not achievable with your normal lens. In general Macro lens is designed to focus closely so it'll be better than you reversing lens, but most of the fun is in trying things.

Welcome!

May I suggest a slightly different approach? I think you should pick up some books on the subject, instead of learning from just youtubers and bloggers. Although educational, their goal is to get views and gears sold, and you'll only pick up tips and tricks and will spend way more on gears that you probably don't need.

The Food Photography book by Nicole Young (no aff. with the author) is quite good, the older edition goes for pennies. Another good one is "Light Science & Magic", you should search around for it.

To answer your question. Reversing lens and macro lenses both aim to bring the object closer to the camera and revealing details not achievable with your normal lens. In general Macro lens is designed to focus closely so it'll be better than you reversing lens, but most of the fun is in trying things.

Thank you for your reply.

I shall visit the library and have a look online for those books - guess I'm so lazy like a lot of folk now I want to know everything in a 5 minute video!

Have you any advice on the right adapter?

Hi Mike, And welcome aboard TP."Enjoy".

Hi Mike, welcome to the forum :welcome:

Back