Beginner Hi everyone

Name
Martin
Edit My Images
No
Hi everyone! Im new here, hope you are all OK.

My new years resolution was to stop hoarding photo's and start a blog to share the pics I like. This resolution will also extend to posting online in forums as well if any are good enough!

Im looking at hosting plans, Id prefer a UK provider, but Im not sure on the size of storage I need? Most plans are 5Gb or 10Gb and Im not really sure how much Id need as I think Im probably overestimating my requirements
My jpegs are typically 10Mb in size, what size or resolution are most bloggers posting at? Im guessing I need to drop the quality or the 5GB of storage some plans offer will be used very quickly.

Can anyone recomend a decent hosting platform for wordpress that isn't godaddy, bluehost or hostgator? Id rather give a bit of business to a UK based company if I can.

Thanks

Martin

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Martin - welcome to TP!

Flickr is a great (free) hosting site for photos and you can insert Flickr images into any wordpress blogs and posts here easily. Let them handle your storage & bandwidth for free! In terms of hosting, I use Vidahost (based in Slough). Their customer care is excellent and server uptime so far has been great. One "issue" in their data centre resulted in an email to me keeping me informed of the issue and of its resolution. They're part of the Paragon group though - which includes TSO Host and probably others.

Finally, there is no need to upload 10Mb images for viewing online. I'd do a bit of research on how to resize your images for web (photos don't need to be any bigger than 2000px on the longest edge, and for most applications 1000px will be fine) and you can get your image sizes down to hundreds of Kb with no visible loss in quality. How you do this depends on your computer software. Elements, Lightroom, Photoshop all do it. Don't know about any other apps though.

Cool. Thanks for that, I hadn't considered linking to images, Id mistakenly assumed Id be uploading everything to the blog. That will save me some space :)

Back