Hi - I'm new to the forum AND to photography !

Edit My Images
Yes
Hi all
I'm Natalie, from Northants, UK - 26 ys old .
I decided to take up photography about a month ago due to having to stop my old hobby, horse riding / owning, due to becoming pregnant.

My dad was very much into photography and so gave me his old 35mm to use but my first 2 films turned out to be all black, blurred or ghost like
So......at the weekend i went out to an indeoendent camera shop, had a try with a few and bought myself a Nikon D60 :)

So ive been having a play with it in auto mode at the moment and bought an instruction dvd to learn more - with the hope to be able to take some good photos of our new arrival in a few months time (y)

Anyway, here are my very first pictures with a digital SLR
What do you think for a first try ?

2774416544_500140405b.jpg

2774416530_4ab9ce7b8e.jpg

2774416538_10bc5796b1.jpg

CSC_0019.JPG

Thanks guys, Bert & Ernie are my 2 cats and are always up to mischief :nono:
Thats the only piece of furniture they use for scratching luckily so easier to let them (we need a new one anyway)

I've been trying to capture them at times they weren't expecting it, and they would look fab on a white background but they are mega bucks aren't they ??

Hi Natalie and welcome.
Lovely 1st set, I particularly like the horse. This is a great place to learn and everyones really helpful so don't be afraid to ask questions even if you think they sound daft.
As someone on here already said "there's no such thing as a daft question, only a daft answer".

Andy

Hi and :welcome: to the forum.

I like no. 4 pic of pussy looking up from the black diamond tile, of course puss just would have to have his paw slightly out of the tile he was sitting on:)

Nice selection of pics Natalie - welcome! :)

:welcome: to TP, Natalie - good start with the photos, keep 'em coming

Hi NatalieB(y) Once you've been bitten by this photography lark your hooked for life. I have a Nikon D80 and i'm not sure if your camera has this feature, but i've found that 70-85% of my shots are best taken by setting the ISO to AUTO and using the APERTURE priority mode. I've got a little westie called Charlie and he's pretty quick around my garden and on our walks together, sometimes i have to change the mode to SHUTTER priority.
The beauty of owning a digital camera is that you can snap away to your hearts content with all sorts of combinations, so never be afraid to experiment, it can be frustrating at times i know, but it can also result in some very rewarding images, so have great fun and keep snapping(y)

thanks guys, a very warm welcome indeed
POSTIE22 yes my D60 has the same settings and thats what ive found to be easiest - and i just LOVE the way you can snap and re-snap to see what works best without having the long wait and cost of 35mm film developing :)

Hi Nat and welcome from a fellow Northantee. I'm also a newbe to DSLR only last week with the same probs with old 35mm SLR equipment so took this new direction. Got myself a 7 month grandaughter and been busy snapping away especially on multi shoot to capture those expressions one normally misses, its great to sift through bags of photos and not worry about picking one or two out.

Yet another Horse

Whit_6_2008.JPG

Last edited:
Hi Natalie...

Fellow newbie to t.p and to DSLR photography and also just got the D60. (y)

Like your pics. :) Love the cats...

Little blighters can be hard on the furniture though right enough.

All the best...

tj.

:)

Last edited:
hi and welcome.

Awwwww love the cat ones! Looks so similar to my cat, Chad! Black cats are very glossy things, ain't they?

Chadaug08.jpg

Horses scare me though, their heads looks so much bigger when they come up close to you!
An excellent first attempt with your camera and welcome to TP. :)

Thanks
I have 2 cats , Bert & Ernie and they are identical except bert is a tiny bit fluffier :LOL:

Horses were my favourite hobby but heavily pregnant with a horse didnt seem like the best idea, but they are very photogenic and i love the detail of their faces / eyes, heres one i took years ago of my own horse , Molly, with an old compact
2786811362_9509bec79c.jpg

I would like to photograph more horses, maybe even at events, but there are so many good equine photographers out there :shrug:

Last edited:
Hi Natalie

Welcome to the forum You've posted some nice sharp images. Use Auto for a short while to get used to the new camera then try experimenting with Av Tv & M and take control.

Paul

Back