Hi, im new. what do you think?

Name
Igor
Edit My Images
Yes
im a novice and took most of these using an "SLR" style fujifilm. but i want to get myself a real DSLR. working on a bit of a budget though. the nikon D40x looks like the one to go for. and you can get it for around £300 :D

DSCF0145.jpg

DSCF0198.jpg

DSCF0203.jpg

DSCF0221.jpg

DSCF0254.jpg

DSCF0257.jpg

DSCF0268.jpg

DSCF0274.jpg

DSCF0287.jpg

Nice variety of subjects and pretty good shots, horizons might need a bit of a tweak to level up on a few.

I think you will enjoy a DSLR when you can review your shots straight away.

Oh, and welcome.

Cheers,(y)

Neil

I think #3 has the potential to be a stunning photo, but that white light needs cloning out. Wherever you are, you have some fabulous places to photograph. So let's see more please. Welcome.

It looks like you definitly have a feel for a good photograph, looking forward to seeing your shots with the new camera.

Welcome :)

Hi and welcome... looks like you are off to a great start, keep posting and you will soon be picking up all the little hint tip and tricks that everyone will be bestowing on you.

Cheers

Shutterman

Thanks guys. i took most of them on holiday in spain

im now choosing between the D40x and the Canon 400D

cant wait :D

whats a good program to edit some of these photos? i got told that photoshop is quite complicated to use

Thanks guys. i took most of them on holiday in spain

im now choosing between the D40x and the Canon 400D

cant wait :D

whats a good program to edit some of these photos? i got told that photoshop is quite complicated to use

I've been using Lightroom lately which I would thoroughly recommend. Photoshop CS3 is good for resizing and saving for web etc (I find it complicated for much else) and I have recently found Adobe Camera RAW through Bridge CS3 to be very user friendly.

I'm sure more experienced members will be along to offer advice...

Cheers,

Neil

Looks like you have a good eye for a subject :) Take a look at the older D40 too, you should be able to pick up a new one of those up for nearer £200, which would leave you some spare cash for that extra lens you'll want about a week after buying your camera - it happens to all of us ;)

*Edit* :agree: with Neil re Lightroom, it's all but replaced photoshop for me

Last edited:
Hi, Igor. Welcome. I like your pictures. As you get more practice (and hang around here a bit) you'll learn many key elements to watch for as you compose and take pictures, such as keeping your horizons straight! (I used to be really bad at that; the other mistake I made about a million times was to overexpose the sky. Can't tell you how many photos I've discarded with blown sky/highlights. LOL)

The Nikons mentioned are nice cameras, so is the Canon. Compare price, features, and feel of the cameras you're considering. Get the one that just "feels right" and you're off to the races.

I use Photoshop Elements 6.0 for processing photos. I've gotten a couple of books to help learn how to get a lot out of the program...trust me, it is very robust, but isn't the easiest to use without guidance. I've never tried anything else, though, so can't say what might be better than PSE 6 (if anything.) I imagine what you will like will depend on how much natural aptitude you have for computer work and how much time and effort you're willing to invest to master a program. Here in the US community colleges often have evening classes for amateur photographers at a modest price; maybe something similar exists in your part of the world?

BTW...I like numbers 1 and 2 the best!

Looks like you have a good eye for a subject :) Take a look at the older D40 too, you should be able to pick up a new one of those up for nearer £200, which would leave you some spare cash for that extra lens you'll want about a week after buying your camera - it happens to all of us ;)

*Edit* :agree: with Neil re Lightroom, it's all but replaced photoshop for me

Remember though that the D40 is only 6 megapixels compared to 10 in the D40X. The extra pixels are really useful if you want to crop your photos and still keep decent resolution. For example if you want to take photos of flowers and get a close up view, you can shoot with 50mm lens (most of the flower) and then crop in to get a close up. If you were to use the D40 you would lose quite a lot of the resolution. I would go for the D40X if you can afford it, and the kit lens 18-55 that comes with the Nikon is pretty good too. I notice most Canon owners complain about the quality of the kit lens, but Nikon owners seem to be very pleased with theirs.

Remember though that the D40 is only 6 megapixels compared to 10 in the D40X.

I know that, but in reality, unless you want to do heavy cropping, you'll not notice a huge difference between 6mp and 10mp, but you might notice the difference between £200 and £300 :LOL:

Just been to our local camera shop and they suggested the Sony A200. He said i could have it for £300.

and he does trade ins. i was thinking of trading me Canon EOS700 35mm with a electric zoom lens

does anyone know if the A200 is a good camera. i had a quick 2 min play and it seemed good.

also how much am i expected to get for my canon? i dont have the standard lens, just the zoom one.

cheers

Just been to our local camera shop and they suggested the Sony A200. He said i could have it for £300.

Best to stick with a camera manufacturer I'd suggest. Sony make great DVD's and TV's etc but they don't make lenses. Nikon and Canon do. If you are thinking of taking photography seriously you're probably better sticking with either Nikon or Canon - for the simple reason that they are market leaders and other manufacturer's will make accessories (i.e. lenses) to fit them.

But why don't you buy a "What Camera" or whatever and read through it - you'll get good pointers. Once you've decided the best spec - go and hold your chosen camera. It's how it feels in your hand that matters as well.

Normally I'd say stick with Canon or Nikon, but for the money, if it feels right to you, then the Sony is great value.

The number one thing is that you feel comfortable with the camera and can use it. Next you need to consider if you intend to buy lenses for it or upgrade to another model in the future. In that case I'd suggest going for a Canon or Nikon (again try both and see which feels "right" to you"), but whatever you choose have fun :)

:agree: With 2 and 3 standing out from the rest for me. Great perspective on number 2 which wins it for me:clap:

got myself photoshop 6 and had a play

here are the results:

DSCF0145_edited-1.jpg

DSCF0198_edited-1.jpg

DSCF0242_edited-1.jpg

DSCF0254_edited-2.jpg

DSCF0257_edited-2.jpg

DSCF0268_edited-1.jpg

DSCF0274_edited-2.jpg

DSCF0136_edited-1.jpg

you should be able to notice a few tweeks compared to the first lot, including the horizons :D

Back