Hi Res by email

You can zip them, but it probably won't save anything anyway as the images (I assume JPEGs) are compressed as it is and it's difficult to compress compressed files losslessly!

If they are taking an age to download, it may be his internet connection speed. You could share them via dropbox (free install/to use).

Have a look at yousendit.com, there's a free option that should do you. You upload images to their site and send an email with a link to your friend who then downloads from their site.

:agree:

Yup, i've used both yousendit.com and wetransfer.com very successfully. You can zip a whole folder with these services and upload them. IT will still take a while to download the other end, but you can let it run and it won't stall up your e-mail client. :)

Agree with most of the other guys.

I certainly don't think it's a Vista issue - far more likely a slow connection.

One of the few photo hosting sites that 'holds' full res photos is Smugmug - it costs but so does Flickr etc once you go past a certain amount.

Dropbox is perfect too.

Thanks folks, i tried the dropbox thing but it didnt suit as the recipient said she couldnt download them. Good old fashioned DVD is being sent now.(y)

You need to create a link and you send them the link to download the images.

"Sending >500KB attachments is forbidden by the Geneva Convention. Your country may be at risk if you fail to comply." :rules:

My personal email box is only 10MB (need to move it but never got round to it) so if someone sends me a few images and my local server here is offline for some reason all my email starts to bounce back to people. Larger files i put on an ftp server which is a server specifically designed for this kind of thing but people seem to have forgotten how to use them despite a client being built into windows explorer.

For sending i upload via ftp to my webserver and give people a link, if its sensitive i put a password on the web server directory (kinda oldschool but it works) Unlike a mail server this is designed to send files this way and also doesn't wait until one task is done before starting another and it will support resuming of the download if for some reason the client is disconnected.

If its just a one off then something like rapidshare will do the trick, but if you want to do it often it'd be worth your while to have your own server

I zip 'em up and send via Mediafire. Attaching large fiels to e-mails is a bad idea, you risk it not arriving at all depending on the recipient's inbox restrictions and I've also noticed some mail services such as Yahoo will automatically resize image attachments! For a couple of months I was sending poster designs to a client as attachments to an e-mail and hadn't realsied Yahoo had been severely resizing them en route until I happened to see the files on her machine...

have you seen what you actually get if you click that link lol

But yeah I use dropbox for sending large numbers of pictures. May be better off using my webspace but had no complaints about dropbox yet.

Back