Hi there any advice one a canon 1100d

Name
Peter
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi everyone

I'm new here so don't know much about the site or the people on it, so firstly would anyone have amy tips or hints to using it.

Secondly I got my first dslr camera last week and got a canon eos 1100d which from what I can use of it I think it is a very good camera.
However I'm not quite sure how to use it to it's full potential so if anyone on here has one and knows any 'cool' things it does or any recommendations for a shoot mode I would really appreciate them.
And finally where would anyone suggest I go to take some photos to really try and get to know my camera well? A forest, lake, beech?? Any suggestions.

Thanks in advance for all your help.

Peter

You will surprised what you can learn from a manual and the canon website -:)

Did you buy it new and get the leaflet about the "Experience" seminars - they offer their free DVD as a sweetener. The DVD isn't perfect by any means (can be a bit annoying sometimes) but for the next step up from the manual and with it being free there's not a lot you can lose!

As for where to go - anywhere!! The main thing is get out there, take pictures and see what works and what doesn't. Also if you're just starting out accept that there's a learning curve to this lark and don't get disheartened if you don't get amazing results on day one. The best advice is enjoy your camera - that way you'll go out and use it.

Also if there's any specific type of photography you're interested in then we'll all be happy to chip in with recommendations as to which books you might want to read good to read.

You will surprised what you can learn from a manual and the canon website -:)

to be fair to the OP in 20 plus years of photography i'm not sure i've ever looked at the manual that came with a camera - other than a quick glance at the quickstart guide to see which button does what.

I taught myself to shoot from magazines and books , and going on meets - then refined that knowledge from sites like this (i say refined but its an ongoing process - we never stop learning til we die)

In terms of answeing the OPs question i'd stay away from the scene modes and jump straight in at the deep end with apperture priority (AV) , shutter priority (TV) or manual (M). - the bgood thing about digital is you can take as many shots as you want while learning and try stuff outb with no financial penalty. ( I learnt with film, and must have wasted hundreds of pounds on D&P while i was learning)

get a good book to cover the basics , and then read all the threads on here in ther sections that interest you - if nyou don't understand anything make sure you ask as most of us are more than happy to explain things

Would agree with Pete go out and play in AV, TV and full manual mode. The tutorial and guides section have some real good articles and are well worth a read ( or if anything like me several reads lol )
By the way welcome to the forum.

Thanks everyone for all the advice I will take it all on and will maybe go and have a look at the manual for a wee read ;) and once the weather picks up I'm gonna go out to try and get a few good pictures and on Sunday might go to a rc car race to take a few pictures so what would you all recommend for a mode to use in motorsport?? Thanks everyone

experimentation is probably best- you'l soon find out what works and what doesnt... bare in mind there are no effective right and wrongs and everythings personal preferences to how you like things...

i got a dvd with an insight in to the camera which i watched over and over as the instruction manual, all hundreds of pages of it looked daunting, and then purchased some apps on the ipad for the same

Lol I wasn't being funny to the op at all. I learned what I learned from the manual and canon web site then I found this website -:). I do understand not everyone reads manual but it is the cheapest quickest and accurate way to learn and a fast way to learn the camera.

Back