Hide, myset up

sawman

Private James Frazer
Edit My Images
No
A question was asked here
http://www.talkphotography.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=189718

I said I would take some shots of the way I had my hide set up.
So after a trudge through the snow:D

No1
A general view to give an idea how far the fedders are from the windows. Note the feeder on the windowsill. That is why I need a macro lens for my red squirrels:D

No2
A close up of the Birch stem sticking up from the bird feeder tray. I bored 1inch holes in it & stuff a fatball into the holes. This is about 6feet from the camera position in the hide.

no3
The way I hang my feeders. Birds tend to perch on the branch before hopping on to the feeders. The reds also use these feeders. Another tip. Use two hooks to hold each feeder. It tends to stop them swinging so much.

N04
Nothing special a shot but just to show you an uncropped shot at 300mm to give you an idea of the size you will get at that distance.

No5
Again, uncropped shot of a Coalie at about 5ft from the camera.

No6

A view from inside looking out using an 18-50.
Squirrels run up the pole leading to the window & sitting on the sill peer in to have a look around.:D

Well she be looking all ship shape and Bristol fashion Charlie (y) :D
lovely setup. Can you point out which part the Robin will use :LOL:

Very nice setup, posh, have you got cental heating.:D Should ensure some cracking results there.

Looks a bit diffrent from when i seen it last mate still looking good mind you (y)

A very informative thread for people new to bird photography especially the way you have shown what you get at 300mm with the distances also given
keep up the good work
Regards
lost

Well she be looking all ship shape and Bristol fashion Charlie (y) :D
lovely setup. Can you point out which part the Robin will use :LOL:

Now then. We will have none of your sarccy remarks on here.:razz::razz::) Besides, the Robins are all inside my mill building stuffing themselves silly & crapping all over my pride & joy.:shrug:

Looks a bit diffrent from when i seen it last mate still looking good mind you (y)

Note how the boards on the wall are lighter in colour. Squirrel claws!:D
I put in the duck boards more to keep the squirrels from getting mucky feet than anything else. The place is built on the edge of a wet flush & was originally placed there in the hope of Woodcock in the winter. No luck yet.

stuffing themselves silly & crapping all over my pride & joy.:shrug:

The mind boggles Charlie :D

Great set up you have there, now if you could just move it aboot 460 miles south along with the reds That'd be cool (y) :D

The mind boggles Charlie :D

Great set up you have there, now if you could just move it aboot 460 miles south along with the reds That'd be cool (y) :D

Sorry, the reds ,like me hivnae got a passport.:p:LOL:

Actually I am just forming a plan for a trip ower the border sometime next year.Not bringing any reds though. ;)

Wasn't there a wall or something to keep the Kelts out of here ? :p :D

Many thanks for sharing - most of my feeders are hanging off a washing line - looks like i'll have to be a bit more inventive. The bent branches are a great idea and should nail to my thick hedge quite easily. Then I think i'll have to buy a portable hide.

Cheers for taking the time to walk up to your hide and share some photo's of it with us Charlie, looks fab. :clap:

Tommy.

Cheers. The way I look at it is this. There will be lots of new members wanting to do nature stuff after seeing some of the work that is posted here. Might as well try to help them out.

Many thanks for sharing - most of my feeders are hanging off a washing line - looks like i'll have to be a bit more inventive. The bent branches are a great idea and should nail to my thick hedge quite easily. Then I think i'll have to buy a portable hide.

A bit of screening is all you will need for a start. Then have a word with fracster. Get him on a good day though.:LOL:

Nice informative post Charlie - any reason that you don' have the duck boards going around to the hide door?

Wasn't there a wall or something to keep the Kelts out of here ?

That's it. The claymore is coming oot o the thatch:razz:
& I am a PICT onywie:p

No they put the wall up to keep them from getting lost

Regards
Lost
Only joshing mate

Nice informative post Charlie - any reason that you don' have the duck boards going around to the hide door?

Erm. Just never got round to it:LOL: Besides have you any idea of the cost of timber.:D
There is one among the snow at the door. I just sort of "hop" across. It can be fun in the pitch dark in the mornings when I forget my torch ( which is most mornings):LOL:

Wasn't there a wall or something to keep the Kelts out of here ?

No they put the wall up to keep them from getting lost

Regards
Lost
Only joshing mate

No bad fae a sassenach:p

There will be lots of new members wanting to do nature stuff after seeing some of the work that is posted here.

and it's appreciated --- I 'weep' seeing shots of robins with chest feathers in focus - mine, you can just make out it's a robin - :crying: - shooting from kitchen window

so - need a hide - not possible to build one in driveway -- so collapsible ...?

any carp fishers here - would a tent be feasible ? where to buy ?

and it's appreciated --- I 'weep' seeing shots of robins with chest feathers in focus - mine, you can just make out it's a robin - :crying: - shooting from kitchen window

so - need a hide - not possible to build one in driveway -- so collapsible ...?

any carp fishers here - would a tent be feasible ? where to buy ?

Did you have to mention Robins!
As to hide. Have a look at fracsters stealth products.

Thanks for taking the time and sharing your setup.
Great setup - nice surrounding too.

A bit of screening is all you will need for a start. Then have a word with fracster. Get him on a good day though.:LOL:

All my days are good thanks............:LOL:

That is a good setup you have there Charlie, surprised about the woodcock not turning up though. I have never understood why people shoot them.........:thinking:

in the hope of Woodcock in the winter. No luck yet.

I so wanted to make a joke here about splinters etc, I'm new here so I won't:nono:

What a fantastic set up and outlook, if I was to do that here I would be looking at other peoples houses past the feeders. Glorious [where's the "green with envy" smiley:D]

Very informative post (y) I have a shed relativity unused about 4-5 feet away from where my feeders are and stupid as I am I never gave it a thought to get a luxurious hide set-up in there :bang: Maybe I can get some nice close ups as I try doing the Jap sniper impersonation out of the back door and they always see me coming :) Will need to remove the fixed glass first though. Watch this space.

I would love Charlies set up, but a suburban london garden probably isn't going to cut it. However, You can indeed get inventive even in a garden. I started with one of those metal pole feeders with the fancy twirly bits at the top. Using a mix of garden wire and long cable ties, it has had several variations of branches and bits of greenery fastened to it to create more natural perches - current combo is a broken 2-3in thick branch, with a lump of cotoneaster complete with red berries cut from my front garden as the backdrop. Also, a bit of fallen birch branch makes an idea lump for drilling or scooping out 'holes' into which you can stuff fat ball mix, as shown in Charlies set up. Put them on one side, so camera facing side is totally 'au naturel' as it were, and watch your 'keeper' rate go up ;)

The pole and my portable hide means I can also move it round the garden as the light through the seasons changes but at the moment, its in reach of my 300mm at the window :LOL:

Edit: Having just read Johns post above, get a piece of camoflage netting from fleabay or a wildlife supplies shop to hang across a door or window. Just that extra thing to break up your outline can make a world of difference. I found I had to make some of the holes bigger to accomodate the front of the sigma 120-300, but it still helped enormously.

Very informative post (y) I have a shed relativity unused about 4-5 feet away from where my feeders are and stupid as I am I never gave it a thought to get a luxurious hide set-up in there :bang: Maybe I can get some nice close ups as I try doing the Jap sniper impersonation out of the back door and they always see me coming :) Will need to remove the fixed glass first though. Watch this space.

If you need any help, I only live 4 miles away........(y)

Just to show what results can be had.
This one made the cover of The Countryman magazine.

I know you all like to get Jay shots.

Whaur wid I be withoot a squirrell:D

Hope this encourages you to have a go.
Remember though to give something back to nature & above all respect it.(y)

The images show the time and work put in Charlie.........(y)

Any progress on the other one?

The images show the time and work put in Charlie.........(y)

Any progress on the other one?

Cheers. It is a lot of work & I am just back from carrying another 20 kilos of squirrel feed all the way from the farm up to the hide. Keeps me fit I suppose.:LOL:
As to the other TWO!
A small one has been dug out from the back of the mill for completion (not today though -12 in the mill):shrug:
The big one with the stove is still in the planning but some timber has been milled:)
Still need to do one for up the Glen but that can wait till summer I think.

Charlie, bet a cheap quad bike, it will save your back.......(y)

Charlie, bet a cheap quad bike, it will save your back.......(y)

I had one. Got rid of it. I kinda like walking quietly through the woods anyway. I can usually park a bit nearer but the snow & ice is making it a wee bit more difficult.

Great tip Yv thanks for that. I have to get an armchair and a coffee machine in there first though :)

When i told the missus of my plans she did her :rollyeyes: closely followed by :sadgit: She really needs educating :)

Last edited:
If you need any help, I only live 4 miles away........(y)

Hi fracster

I didn't realise you were so close. I had an idea you were in the area. I would be far more interested in following you around at a local hotspot asking you lots and lots of questions :naughty: Sunnyhurst Woods is my local haunt at the moment but nothing can replace a little local knowledge. as for my shed it is only in a small back yard and the most exotic visitors so far have been a familly of Coal tits and a Robin. Still not captured the Robin as yet.

Last edited:
Cracking set Charlie (y)
Well done and well deserved on the countryman cover :clap:

Back