Hidebound

Name
Dave
Edit My Images
No
Not so much a project as a theme - hides distance you from the very things you would actually like to get close to.

The blown highlights in 3 and 4 are deliberate.

_7508682.jpg

_7508700.jpg

DJL_1510.jpg

_7508709.jpg

DJL_1602.jpg

The blown highlights in 3 and 4 are deliberate.

I would rather say that they are a direct and normal consequence
to the shooting conditions!

A bit of that, but I could have pulled some detail out of the highlights, or exposed more for the highlights and pulled detail out of the shadows. ;)

DJL_1516.jpg

Your #1, empty as it is with the oblique light and the blinds,
looks like an old classroom or school corridor!

Ta Pete.

I can see how some photographers give us all a bad name the way they were all hogging those windows. I could tell the other people weren't too happy. Still, they could always tell when the barn owl came in sight by the rapid rattle of shutters!

Ta. Not a project as such at the moment, more photos on a theme. But it might go somewhere eventually. That's how my projects usually develop - start collecting images on a theme or topic until I start to see what they're about and what is needed to bring them together in a cohesive way.

Oddly enough as a 'sometimes' keen bird photographer, I've never been in a hide. Be interesting to see where this goes. Some of the images are doing it for me, and some aren't...yet anyway.

It was taking photos of birds that got me back into photography, but I hated trying to do it from a big wooden hut. I much preferred being in the same environment as the birds. I think that is part of my reason for taking these photos. Trying to find the 'way in' to the subject is proving difficult. Nothing's really clicked with me yet. It might, or it might not. I'd be interested to know which pics are working for you and which aren't.

The thing is, I've followed this thread since you first posted, and, I can't quite think what's 'not' doing it for me, it just isn't clicking yet.
However, images 1, 4 and 5 are working.
I'm undecided on 2(although the reflection idea is good), not sure on 3 and 6 (I'd have liked to have maybe seen more of outside in focus, and not the people, if that makes sense)
I'm not keen on the last one.
I've come back to this thread often and mulled over your images, and will continue to do so.
Had you got 4 from the outside as you did with 5, that would have been cool.
Blown highlights don't bother me at all.
Probably not much help to you either...

All thoughts and comments help. Thanks.

I reckon that it isn't working for you yet because it isn't working yet for me. I need to find that way in. Hence my reluctance to call it a project at the moment. I nearly went for another look this afternoon. But I went fishing instead. No fish, but I did have a close encounter with a barn owl. Not the closest I've had, but a much better experience than watching one through a hide window. ;)

Back