Hides

Name
Ollie
Edit My Images
Yes
Can people post up any pics they have took of any hides they have built or seen.

I am currently planning one for my garden to give me some extra cover when photographing the birds but am unsure where to start!?! :thinking::thinking:

Thanks

Ollie

I have a setup in my conservatory doorway.
conservatoryhide.jpg

I have 2 hides. The first I made from a child's play tent I got on E Bay used $10, then I got a light camo tarp for $12. It is a bit cramped 4x4 but works great for low shots and is easy to move around the garden. I then got a shower tent on E bay for about $20 and did the same with the camo tarp. In this one I can stand up or have a small stool inside and again it is easy to move around the garden.

No a hide as such, but this is my get up for photographing the wildlife in my local nature reserve........(I use it so I can be mobile and do a bit if stalking...!)

6ae95c00.jpg

Neil

Would love to see the face of a dog walker when you step suddenly into their path from behind some bushes Neil. :runaway:

Love it!!!

No a hide as such, but this is my get up for photographing the wildlife in my local nature reserve........(I use it so I can be mobile and do a bit if stalking...!)

6ae95c00.jpg

Neil

Fresh out from the Wizard of Oz :LOL: ;)

Hi,

I don't have it setup at the moment, but I use a cheapie changing tent from Argos and it seems to work quite well, although it does look a little daft and is not exactly spacious.

I am no expert though and certainly don't get the results that some here do, so take the advice at face value.

We use fishing bivvies, great for hides, room inside and they are green whoch helps, and then cover them with camo net, also I have an old shed whoch I have painted green and cut the front out it makes excellent hide and loads of room.

Can make drinks etc need carpet on floor though as bit clunky without.

Will try and get a couple of shots soon for you (y)

http://www.talkphotography.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=253031

have a look through this thread there is a couple fo piccys scattered about of the hides.

Forgot to say have also got a portable 2 man hide (which they fall my portaloo) which has and still is serving me very well and great for quick set up at locations.

Last edited:
Here is my set up. Hide is 6ft x 4ft & sits three with gear in comfort. It would also double as a garden shed! I have two on order for a Highland estate & have just started to build one. What I will do (over the next few weeks & time allowing) is this. I will take pictures (assuming anybody is interested)of the build & post on here for all to copy if they so wish. It is not really a difficult thing to build as long as you take care when measuring. It is made up of sections & simply bolted together.Once built it is very strong.
Hide.jpg

Roadkill_6mm said:

Neil

Do you have a snipers rifle in there as well ?

Steve

I love it and wish I could use one, however I don't think anyone in that would last long in Florida.

6ae95c00.jpg

Neil

This made my day :LOL:. Nice outfit for shooting weddings; smiles will be guaranteed 100% and no need for Leica.

Thanks for ideas guys. The one man chair looks really good. Perfect for my garden.

Loving the full camo set up Neil, although I'd feel a bit of a berk stealthing it around my garden dressed like that!!

Any homemade ones then!?!

Ollie

Thanks for the responses!

JohnN - Thanks for the advice. I had been looking at tents just like that and with a bit of camo netting would be enough for me.

Briony - Cheers. Looked at that thread loads - you guys have a great setup going on and I always look to see what you've snapped!!

Sawman - Wow!! That is my dream setup!! Please post the build here mate, would be great to see!

The Riddell hide.

Birdhide.jpg

My new one

NewHide1.jpg

I tried making a hide by lashing garden canes together........I don't need to tell you that was a bit of a waste of time.

Thanks for ideas guys. The one man chair looks really good. Perfect for my garden.

Loving the full camo set up Neil, although I'd feel a bit of a berk stealthing it around my garden dressed like that!!

Any homemade ones then!?!

Ollie

Ollie,

The one man chair hides are great but you do need to put them away at night as they are not waterproof. I have now started to build a wooden hide (well bought the wood) as I have one area of the garden that seems to be the main place that I use and my daughter wants to sit with me - we tried the chair hide but nearly fell into the greenhouse when she moved sidways suddenly!! I have a wooden framed veg plot that it will be fixed to the end of and will simply be made from 3x3 posts at the front and feather edge to cover. I will post some pictures up when I build it.

Nick

Here is my set up. Hide is 6ft x 4ft & sits three with gear in comfort. It would also double as a garden shed! I have two on order for a Highland estate & have just started to build one. What I will do (over the next few weeks & time allowing) is this. I will take pictures (assuming anybody is interested)of the build & post on here for all to copy if they so wish. It is not really a difficult thing to build as long as you take care when measuring. It is made up of sections & simply bolted together.Once built it is very strong.
Hide.jpg

I am interested in seeing what you do! Anyone have an idea what you could od with a garden shed? It's got darkened windows and they are generally not good to shoot through. Any thoughts?

Most hides have a wide narrow slot to shoot through, often with a shelf, on the inside, to rest on.

If you cover the windows & cut your slot below, at a comfortable height for your lens, you'll be fairly well hidden in the darkness. You need to be still & any movements need to be slow & steady, but wildlife get used to the shed & you'll do fine.

BTW a little angled "roof" above the slot is a good idea to shed any rain away from the lens slot.

Sawman made it for me, his last name is Riddell.

Back