High and Low Key Photography and Processing

Name
Aidan Mincher
Edit My Images
No
I'd like to understand this technique more and also how to process in this style as well. Can anyone recommend some photographers who shoot this style, some good articles on the topic or youtube vids to watch please?

Over the next few months I'm planning a shoot in Leeds city centre and want to try this technique but want to understand the background so that I can approach it in the correct way.

Well they're oft misused terms (many think high key = white background and low key = black background with no consideration of the light on the subject or the subsequent tones of such)

Simplistic:
High key is where most of the image consists of brighter than average tones, and low key would be where most of the image consists of darker than average tones.

I'd personally struggle to arrange a city centre shoot to create high key and low key images. I'd be looking for 2 different models, or at least a neutral model and a choice of outfits.

You'll maybe get a start on low key in the 'dark arches' *, and on a bright day you'll maybe get a high key look round some of the newer glass buildings**.

* look for a shaft of light (or create one) that you can use to rimlight your model, preferably dark haired or a hat, and dark clothing, maybe a kiss of fill from a reflector to keep the model from disappearing into the background .

** find some large windows reflecting an overcast sky, use that as a backdrop for a pale model in light clothing and push the exposure over to the right whilst keeping some detail in the face.

Back