High Dynamic Range (HDR) Photography

Edit My Images
No
Hello everyone,

I am quite new to this technique but I thought it would be interesting to share some ideas about it.

What is HDR Photography

Examples

Thank you,

P.S - Apologise if there was another topic on the subject

Sorry - for the above (well, not really - I'm trying to live up to my new user title)

Go here - http://www.vanilladays.com/hdr-guide/

Read. Do what it says. Come back.

HDR's a hot potato around here. Some like. Some don't.

I do. Not that I do it very well. But I keep trying ....

I like a bit of HDR now and again. I'm just in the process of sorting out my HDD's, once it's done i'll get some up on here.

I stumbled across an Ansel Adams book in the loft yesterday and plenty of his prints look like they had some HDR done on them, Moonrise Hernandez especially.

Surely nobody thinks his technique is anything less than utterly masterful? It's certainly good enough for me. Debate over :D

Richard.

Ah but HoppyUK, he worked with only one frame so it couldn't be HDR by definition :p. He was the master at squeezing every iota of tonality out of B&W film, there's no denying it. It's very very hard to do too (even his metering system makes me feel dizzy with all the detail).

I think that like most things there's a time and a place for HDR and some subjects lend themselves far better to the effect than others and some just look plain daft with it....

Also, as it's an adjustable effect and you can control the extent to which a shot is altered, "user error" can make or break an effect.

Concrete, brickwork, tarmac, rotten wood with peeling paint and derelict buildings etc are a prime one that lend themselves well to HDR effects.

Dark, mysterious clouds/skies work well too

Ah but HoppyUK, he worked with only one frame so it couldn't be HDR by definition :p. He was the master at squeezing every iota of tonality out of B&W film, there's no denying it. It's very very hard to do too (even his metering system makes me feel dizzy with all the detail).

I think you'll also find he wasn't adverse to a few dark room techniques to enhance his photos. It's not all in his metering system, not saying it's a bad thing just that he used the available tools to his advantage just as many modern photographers do.

ohhhh its kicking off :bat: :LOL:

Ah but HoppyUK, he worked with only one frame so it couldn't be HDR by definition :p

Excuse me! But by definition, HDR doesn't involve more than one frame at all. You only need more than one frame if you want to push it too far :eek:

You can do a heck of a lot with just one frame if you expose to the right of the histogram, carefully holding the highlights, and then lifting the shadows in post :p

Richard ;)

By definition HDR requires more than one frame :p

But doesn't flim record more dynamic range than digital? So therefore a single forced frame in film could be the equivilent of 3 frames in digital?

:popcorn:

P.S - Apologise if there was another topic on the subject

Hi Jorge - now that’s what I call an understatement, :)
you might like to do a search on HDR on this web site
Or maybe view this page(y)
http://www.vanilladays.com/hdr-guide/

or even take a look at numerous members web sites (including my own)

I’m for HDR and occasionally use the technique,, you can get some stunning results but often the word moderation needs using as much as the technique

and welcome to TP:)

By definition HDR requires more than one frame :p

Oh no it doesn't ;) It means High Dynamic Range :rules:

You can do it with chemical technique which pulls the highlights and push the shadows, like good Ol' Ansel, or by using the C41 colour neg process which has DIR technology. You can do it with lith masking, you can do it by dodging and burning in the darkroom, or by using a grad on the lens, or coloured filters in black &white, a polarising filter, or by careful exposure and tweaking levels in Photoshop.

Or, you can shoot more than one frame and merge them in post :D

Sorry, only being deliberately provocative as I missed the earlier debate :crying:

Richard.

Oh yes it does. It means High Dynamic Range, a 32bit image not a chemical technique :p Its not increased dynamic range, its high.

Back