High-end bridge cameras: Sony RX10, Panasonic FZ1000 etc

Another macro shot - I would say it's pretty good but not great (in comparison with what you could get with a prime) comments welcome :)

Sony RX10iii Macro
by Mike Smith, on Flickr
I think you do yourself a disservice here Mike! I think it's a really stunning macro shot, even showing the detail on the eyes. Whilst it's possible that a dedicated macro prime could offer even more detail, it would need someone very experienced behind the lens, as you obviously are!
I have to say that if I could produce a shot like that with any camera I would be chuffed to bits. Well done Mike!

Last edited:
I think you do yourself a disservice here Mike! I think it's a really stunning macro shot, even showing the detail on the eyes. Whilst it's possible that a dedicated macro prime could offer even more detail, it would need someone very experienced behind the lens, as you obviously are!
I have to say that if I could produce a shot like that with any camera I would be chuffed to bits. Well done Mike!

Thanks Marcia, appreciate the comments. It's not a bad shot at all, just lacking a bit of the resolution and detail you can get with a prime lens and a bigger sensor.

Not a criticism of the Sony at all - the fact it can get anywhere near is amazing really :)

A gorgeous set again Mike, and the last one shows that MK3 isn't too shabby at moving targets. You are doing a wonderful advertising job for Sony and if it wasn't for the concerns over weight, I would be ordering one just on the basis of the images you've posted so far! Have a good weekend's photography, weather permitting!

Nice photos Mike, I'm waiting for the sun to come out again to play with my Mk III...... Why is there a deer in photo 2?

Last edited:
Nice photos Mike, I'm waiting for the sun to come out again to play with my Mk III...... Why is there a deer in photo 2?

A quick Google indicates:

No one knows why there is a white stag painted on the rock although legend has it that it was because an animal jumped into the sea to escape hunters after being chased from Spindlestone.

But another theory is that it was painted by Italian prisoners of war during the Second World War.

Read more here

I am sorely tempted to upgrade to the Mark III, as this thread has shown the camera would for me be the ideal all-in one travelling companion but my arm injury is still stopping me from using any camera for any length of time, so will have to wait until I recover sufficiently........... :( Another excellent set of of images recording a days outing. Thank you for sharing. (y)

A few from last week's trip to west Somerset. I'm still not totally convinced by the M3. I'm very happy with the results and I know I couldn't have got the background separation on the first and third shots with the M2 but I'm just not enjoying using the M3 as much. The extra weight is certainly a factor but I find the viewfinder is a bit dark and I can't always see the level indicators. I have viewfinder brightness set to Auto on both cameras so I am comparing like with like. I shall persevere with it and grumble about it as I do.....

west-som1.jpg

west-som2.jpg

west-som3.jpg

Nice Jonathan. I don't see much wrong with them.

Here are a few from today, light was totally flat, overcast with no sun. These are all at 220mm (600mm equivalent)

SON01786_zpsabsqarrv.jpg

SON01675_zpstbfihmzy.jpg

SON01971-Edit_zps1xegssfu.jpg

]
SON01848_zpsm4ygwvd2.jpg

and one from yesterday when the sun shone

SON01603_zps1mkyjcry.jpg

A few from last week's trip to west Somerset. I'm still not totally convinced by the M3. I'm very happy with the results and I know I couldn't have got the background separation on the first and third shots with the M2 but I'm just not enjoying using the M3 as much. The extra weight is certainly a factor but I find the viewfinder is a bit dark and I can't always see the level indicators. I have viewfinder brightness set to Auto on both cameras so I am comparing like with like. I shall persevere with it and grumble about it as I do.....

west-som1.jpg

west-som2.jpg

west-som3.jpg
Very nice set Jonathan!

Nice Jonathan. I don't see much wrong with them.

Here are a few from today, light was totally flat, overcast with no sun. These are all at 220mm (600mm equivalent)

SON01786_zpsabsqarrv.jpg

SON01675_zpstbfihmzy.jpg

SON01971-Edit_zps1xegssfu.jpg

]
SON01848_zpsm4ygwvd2.jpg

and one from yesterday when the sun shone

SON01603_zps1mkyjcry.jpg
Another great set Glenn! I especially like the first one of the Whitethroat (or is it a Lesser - I always get confused without a book to hand!), the pose, the food, colours, and the background make it a well captured image! Very impressed!

Thanks Marcia. I had no idea what the bird was, the pair were flitting about feeding young as I was taking photos of the aeroplanes.

Thanks folks. Here's a bonus shot. The first two were a stop under-exposed (my fault - exp comp dial) so I sorted that out but, apart from that, all four are straight out-of-camera.

west-som4.jpg

Thanks Marcia - I'm inching towards binning my dedicated macro kit as these most recent shots with the RX10iii appear to me to just as good as I am getting with a DSLR and a prime lens. Would not have expected that! :)
High praise for the system Mike!
I've ordered a harness to see if I could cope with the weight that way. I still have my EM5ii and 75-300mm and that combo is a similar weight to the RX10iii so I can try out the weight. As there seem to be none in stock in the UK at the moment it makes sense to see if I could cope with the weight, and if so I think I may be joining the club. Everyone's excellent images have swayed me a lot!

So..... I've bought myself a harness which is easy to put on and spreads the weight over my shoulders which seem to cope much better than my neck. With that in mind, I have decided to go for the RX10 III. I love my FZ1000, but crave the extra telephoto range of the Sony. It will be my Birthday present, and early Christmas present combined! My husband had a new lens to cover the same events (but his Birthday, rather than mine!!!)
The bad news is that there are none to be had in the UK, at least not from all the usual suspects. All are pre-order, but the advised time for having stock available varies wildly! WEX tells me they have no clue, Park's website says 3rd August, LCE says 28 days but has said that for a week already, Clifton cameras website says 5-7 days, and Digital Depot says second week in July!! So who to believe is the question? Of course now GAS has set in, especially as I've made a decision, so I'm feeling very impatient at the moment!
Looking forward to seeing some more images from you all to whet my appetite even further, or increase my frustration. If anyone happens to know where there are any I would be very obliged!

I think this is the point where you need to use the phone rather than t'interweb. Give the various shops a ring and see what they really think rather than what's on their web sites.

So..... I've bought myself a harness which is easy to put on and spreads the weight over my shoulders which seem to cope much better than my neck. With that in mind, I have decided to go for the RX10 III. I love my FZ1000, but crave the extra telephoto range of the Sony. It will be my Birthday present, and early Christmas present combined! My husband had a new lens to cover the same events (but his Birthday, rather than mine!!!)
The bad news is that there are none to be had in the UK, at least not from all the usual suspects. All are pre-order, but the advised time for having stock available varies wildly! WEX tells me they have no clue, Park's website says 3rd August, LCE says 28 days but has said that for a week already, Clifton cameras website says 5-7 days, and Digital Depot says second week in July!! So who to believe is the question? Of course now GAS has set in, especially as I've made a decision, so I'm feeling very impatient at the moment!
Looking forward to seeing some more images from you all to whet my appetite even further, or increase my frustration. If anyone happens to know where there are any I would be very obliged!

Hope you manage to find one Marcia :)

Hope you manage to find one Marcia :)
No luck I'm afraid Mike! As Jonathan said, I am now Phoning/emailing around but so far the concensus is "no idea". I will phone Park and LCE later but I think my answer will be the same, or certainly no time soon! My real concern with getting it sooner rather than later, is whether on not the "Brexit" effect will cause price rises! Still for now I will be patient, although it does mean that my husband needs to get me a present for the day, which is in a week's time!

No luck I'm afraid Mike! As Jonathan said, I am now Phoning/emailing around but so far the concensus is "no idea". I will phone Park and LCE later but I think my answer will be the same, or certainly no time soon! My real concern with getting it sooner rather than later, is whether on not the "Brexit" effect will cause price rises! Still for now I will be patient, although it does mean that my husband needs to get me a present for the day, which is in a week's time!

Just had a look and these are showing stock and are allowing pick up, so maybe worth a ring to clarify.

http://yorkcameramart.co.uk/product/sony-cyber-shot-rx10-iii/

Well...... I have a bit of good news. I emailed all the camera stores I could think of, and CameraWorld just came back to me saying they had just received one at their London branch! I phoned and reserved it, and have now ordered online! The bad news is that they don't do a Saturday delivery. Oh well, we can't have everything!!

Well...... I have a bit of good news. I emailed all the camera stores I could think of, and CameraWorld just came back to me saying they had just received one at their London branch! I phoned and reserved it, and have now ordered online! The bad news is that they don't do a Saturday delivery. Oh well, we can't have everything!!
Well done Marcia! Look forward to seeing some pics next week :)

Excellent news.

I went out looking for poppy fields today. I found a couple but the howling gale didn't make it easy. I'm just looking at the results to see if anything is salvageable.....

Well my MKIII is here! First impressions are that it really isn't as heavy as I was expecting! It does seem nicely balanced, and I'm sure that with my new harness I will be fine with the weight. The build seems very solid indeed, and the grip is nice and deep, yet with plenty of space for arthritic fingers! I've ordered a "proper" charger, as in camera charging leaves more room for damage with two loopy sighthounds having a funny 5 minutes!
I have taken a few test shots, without changing anything in camera, and I have to say that I am already impressed. However, quite a learning curve in front of me, coming from Olympus originally, and of course my FZ1000. But I have the time so I'll take it slowly and get it right!
My big critiscm, which I have had for some years now with most manufacturers, is the lack of a full paper manual! Maybe it's my age, but trying to read something online, and then change settings is so much harder than sitting down on the sofa with a book like manual! But as I say it isn't only Sony who does this!
So at the moment, I'm a very happy bunny! You may not get any images from me for a few days, until I've sorted my settings, but you will definitely get some soon.
Thank you all for your help in me making a decision!

Some nice shots here guys and I am getting the itch also with this camera.

Thank you Jonathan and Mike! I'm really liking it so far. Lots of experimenting with settings, and trying to find where things are in the menu! But practice makes perfect, and I have two very willing models as you can see!

Back