High-end bridge cameras: Sony RX10, Panasonic FZ1000 etc

Just a simple candid type Snapograph taken at Herne Bay Kent UK of a guy enjoying himself on a Jet Ski.

RX10M4, 1/1000th @ F5.6, ISO-100, Handheld.
Jet Ski (1) (M)-03449M by G.K.Jnr., on Flickr

:ty: for looking., (y)

George.

:plus1: to Mike’s photography.

“It was on the strength of Mike’s photography with one of these that I purchased the RX10M4 last year because I was unable to carry around a heavy kit for quite a while. I must admit I absolutely love it and what its capable of producing and more often than not its my go to camera. I really must start posting some of my snaps from this camera in this thread”

George.
Have to say dibbly dobbler your photos make me want one of these cameras , your photography is superb .

Well shucks - Thankyou both very much :)

Funny - I was thinking of giving up on this as the thread did not appear to be of much use to anybody else but if there are others that are interested I will carry on! And yes, @G.K.Jnr. please do post a few more!

Here is one from the weekend - as usual shot on aperture priority at f4 with auto iso on (minimum shutter speed set to 1/250). Took me ages to work out that this set up is so easy to use compared to faffing around setting the iso for each shot if the shutter speeds drop off due to poor light :)

Young Robin
by Mike Smith, on Flickr

Funny - I was thinking of giving up on this as the thread did not appear to be of much use to anybody else but if there are others that are interested I will carry on! And yes, @G.K.Jnr. please do post a few more!

Here is one from the weekend - as usual shot on aperture priority at f4 with auto iso on (minimum shutter speed set to 1/250). Took me ages to work out that this set up is so easy to use compared to faffing around setting the iso for each shot if the shutter speeds drop off due to poor light :)

Young Robin
by Mike Smith, on Flickr

Lovely shot Mike, with as usual so much detail.

“I shall be posting quite regularly now on this thread and the RX100 thread as I‘m also using my RX100M6 quite a bit now for stills & video. I’m also seriously considering purchasing a Sony CSC of some sort when I have researched what are the optically best lenses for them”

George.

No Longer Available.

George.

Last edited:
Please keep posting your photos dibbly dobbler , I like to see them . Do you do much processing to them out of interest ?
Thanks again, I will do that :)

I do a bit of processing on the RAW files but nothing too invasive - eg cropping, lift shadows and/or lower highlights and sometimes a bit of sharpening. I very often fiddle around with the RAW file for a while and the end result is much like the out of camera jpeg :D

"It Made Explore"
Just a simple Snapograph taken at Dungeness Romney Marsh Kent UK of one of the many discarded boats amongst many other things scattered about the beach that have just been discarded and left behind.
I've deliberately gone for a slightly higher contrast gritty look to this snap to emphasise the decay etc.
I'm also working on a personal project called Things Left Behind and this will be one of the shots included.

RX10M4, 1/800th F5.6, ISO-100, Bit Of Fill Flash, Tripod.
Discarded Boat (1)-03456 by G.K.Jnr., on Flickr

George.

Just a simple Snapograph taken at Dungeness Romney Marsh Kent UK of one of the many discarded boats amongst many other things scattered about the beach that have just been discarded and left behind.
I've deliberately gone for a slightly higher contrast gritty look to this snap to emphasise the decay etc.
I'm also working on a personal project called Things Left Behind and this will be one of the shots included.

RX10M4, 1/420th @ F5.6, ISO-100, Bit Of Fill Flash, Tripod.
Discarded Boat (2)-03457 by G.K.Jnr., on Flickr

George.

Just a simple landscape/seascape type Snapograph taken at Kent UK of one of the Wooden Walkways across the beach. I've deliberately gone for a slightly higher contrast gritty look to this snap to emphasise the various textures.

RX10M4, 1/800th @ F5.6, ISO-100, Tripod.
Wooden Walkway (1)-03458 by G.K.Jnr., on Flickr

George.

Right, I've bought an FZ1000 2 - what are some of the first things I should know/do relating to its setup and functions etc that won't be immediately obvious to someone who knows next to nothing about photography?

Right I’ve had an itch for an RX10 for ages, and I’ve found a used Mk3 at a good price (I rarely buy camera gear new).

I don’t need one as I’ve got 2 full frame Nikon’s and a Fuji XT2 for when I want something lighter, but I’ve toyed with the idea of an RX10 for over a year and it won’t go away. The reviews are all really good as well. I know the image quality won’t be comparable with my other cameras but I had an LX100 until recently so I’m used to smaller sensor.

So, talk me out of it!

(Yes I know I’ve probably come to the wrong thread, but humour me!!)

You’ve come to the wrong place to be dissuaded as I love mine! I guess it really depends what you’re planning to do with it - as a cheap and easy way to get 600mm equiv at F4 they are unbeatable imho but quite big and heavy for walkabout duties :)

:plus1: to all of that, I'm totally hooked on mine.

"I have APSC & MF CSC cameras and more often than not I go out with my RX10M4 and find it more than capable of producing images that are easily printable to A3+ size which in most cases is all I need. Sure the dynamic range is not quite as good as a larger format unit but in most cases the camera can easily handle whatever's thrown at it. I've found the best apertures are around F4-F5.6 and I've also yet to find a weak spot in the lens at any FL"

George.

Last edited:
You’ve come to the wrong place to be dissuaded as I love mine! I guess it really depends what you’re planning to do with it - as a cheap and easy way to get 600mm equiv at F4 they are unbeatable imho but quite big and heavy for walkabout duties :)

:plus1: to all of that, I'm totally hooked on mine.

"I have APSC & MF CFC cameras and more often than not I go out with my RX10M4 and find it more than capable of producing images that are easily printable to A3+ size which in most cases is all I need. Sure the dynamic range is not quite as good as a larger format unit but in most cases the camera can easily handle whatever's thrown at it. I've found the best apertures are around F4-F5.6 and I've also yet to find a weak spot in the lens at any FL"

George.

Thank you gents! You’ll be glad to know you were unsuccessful in dissuading me, and I have already pressed the ‘buy’ button!

In all seriousness, and like I said before, I’ve no real need for one of these but I’m keen to explore the creative opportunities a very long, portable, zoom give me, especially one that won’t break my back carrying it round. My 100-400 on a Nikon D810 is too big to realistically carry round for long periods of time and my Fuji 18-135 on the XT-2 is fine but not in the same league in terms of focal length.

I know that image quality isn’t going to be in the same league as the aforementioned, but that’s not the be all and end all is it?

Thank you gents! You’ll be glad to know you were unsuccessful in dissuading me, and I have already pressed the ‘buy’ button!

In all seriousness, and like I said before, I’ve no real need for one of these but I’m keen to explore the creative opportunities a very long, portable, zoom give me, especially one that won’t break my back carrying it round. My 100-400 on a Nikon D810 is too big to realistically carry round for long periods of time and my Fuji 18-135 on the XT-2 is fine but not in the same league in terms of focal length.

I know that image quality isn’t going to be in the same league as the aforementioned, but that’s not the be all and end all is it?

That's a positive "RESULT" in my book Andy, Congrat's & Enjoy.

"I also use the Fuji APSC units and have the 100-400mm lens. When I take this system out I now leave the 100-400mm at home and take my RX10M4 instead as it's lighter and quite capable of producing excellent quality images. In actual fact my RX10M4 and my RX100M6 together weigh less then my Fuji 100-400mm lens alone"

George.

Last edited:
Just a simple candid street style Snapograph taken at Kent UK of a guy siting on what I think is the top of a ventilation shaft or an old war time look out bunker just having a Relaxing Read. In the far off background you can see the French coastline.

RX10M4, 1/640th @ F5.6, ISO-100, Handheld.
Relaxing Read-03461 by G.K.Jnr., on Flickr

George.

In the lower right of the snap you can see one of the old railway lines that were used for hauling the boats or catch up the beach.

RX10M4, 1/450th @ F5.6, ISO-100, Tripod.
Discarded Boat (3)-03459ip by G.K.Jnr., on Flickr

George.

Have just arrived into the RX10M3 club :cool: - my main camera is a Canon 5d4 which I love, and use most of the time with a 24-105 lens. However whenever I wanted to use a larger zoom I have found the increased weight to carry around and hold to shoot to be just too much for my aging hands ! Have enjoyed the Panny FZ1000 as a second camera for a few years, but my son decided he wanted to claim that, so the search was on for something else. I dallied with the Canon M50 and just found it too small and fiddly to use - so it went. Then the search began - I was tempted to get the Panny 2000, but reading many reviews and also seeing in particular Mikes many excellent shots on here, I gave in and got the RX10M3. Arrived yesterday and been reading through the manual and any tips I could find online as it is drastically different to the Canons I have been used to. Taken a few experimental shots around the house to get the feel of it and have been very impressed - now just need the weather to improve so I can get outside with it. - very heavy rain is not good for the camera or more importantly me !!!! One thing I have not found yet online is recommendations for initial settings in the camera, has anyone come across any ?

First, go here and spend $9.95 on the book as it will help enormously.
Then buy a couple of extra batteries and an external charger. You will need them. There are decent third-party batteries, some of which don't self-discharge as fast as genuine NP-FW50s.
Make sure Pre-focus is Off and Airplane mode is On. This will help with battery life.
The menu system is not particularly friendly so take the time to customise the Fn menu and some of the buttons to suit the way you work.
After that it's really just a case of trying it and seeing what works for you. I usually have mine (currently RX10 IV) in A mode, auto-ISO capped at 800, S-AF and no picture modes or special effects set but I'm sure others will chime in with their own preferences.

Downloaded the book yesterday from Amazon - quite a few pages :cool: . Got some more batteries and an external charger on order also

With over 50 years of using cameras I'm sure I will crack the mysteries of this one quickly - my philosophy has always been to take lots of photos and then review the info to see what works best. Always used to set ISO manually, but funnily enough with my Canon I have been toying with Auto recently so will probably try the same with this camera. Is there a way of setting a minimum and maximum range for Auto ISO settings - I'm sure it will be in the book somewhere

Really impressed with the stability of the camera when hand held even with the lens at full extent. Shame its still raining hard outside and the gale force winds have finished off the flowers in the garden - bit more macro shooting round the house is called for I think

Have just arrived into the RX10M3 club :cool: - my main camera is a Canon 5d4 which I love, and use most of the time with a 24-105 lens. However whenever I wanted to use a larger zoom I have found the increased weight to carry around and hold to shoot to be just too much for my aging hands ! Have enjoyed the Panny FZ1000 as a second camera for a few years, but my son decided he wanted to claim that, so the search was on for something else. I dallied with the Canon M50 and just found it too small and fiddly to use - so it went. Then the search began - I was tempted to get the Panny 2000, but reading many reviews and also seeing in particular Mikes many excellent shots on here, I gave in and got the RX10M3. Arrived yesterday and been reading through the manual and any tips I could find online as it is drastically different to the Canons I have been used to. Taken a few experimental shots around the house to get the feel of it and have been very impressed - now just need the weather to improve so I can get outside with it. - very heavy rain is not good for the camera or more importantly me !!!! One thing I have not found yet online is recommendations for initial settings in the camera, has anyone come across any ?

That's a positive "Result" in my book Andrew, they're an excellent bit of kit, Congrat's & "ENJOY".

George.

Cheers Mike, listening to the video in the link was certainly intriguing. The one thing I could not get my head around was the "processing time" of the image as he was claiming for an electronic shutter. I cannot comprehend how if you take a shot at say 1/30000 of a second, it takes as he claims 1/15 of a second to process it and thus be susceptible to exposure change or camera shake.

On this argument the mechanical shutter at a much slower speed of say 1/4000 is more efficient so it begs the question how can it be 1/30000 speed in reality ?.

Last edited:
As an update with my continued reading into electronic and mechanical shutters. With electronic you do not have BULB option, Flash is restricted to 1/100 second or slower, and you can have distortion under fluorescent lighting. The plus side of electronic (other than greater speeds) is that the shutter is silent - needless to say there are various scenarios when this is a blessing.

Back