High ISO weekend - aim to get "usable images".

Another scenario is shooting at night (for example in streets) and a flash is out of the question but want to keep shutter to a minimum of say 1/40.

What software was used to recover that image?

I've deleted so many great pictures because of flash not firing where I thought I couldn't recover - images had ISO 3200 and now thinking these could have been saved :(

have you never not had a flash not go off for reasons like battery low, just dint recycle fast enough which can cause this.

To be honest, no! I keep a close eye on battery levels and swap them out well before they hit anything close to empty and rarely use flash anyway. I have messed up and had the settings all wrong though with similar results. Fortunately, I had time to reshoot immediately (it's fairly obvious when a flash fails to fire) so did.

I can see your point though. :sits back smugly because I'm perfect!!!:

To be honest, no! I keep a close eye on battery levels and swap them out well before they hit anything close to empty and rarely use flash anyway. I have messed up and had the settings all wrong though with similar results. Fortunately, I had time to reshoot immediately (it's fairly obvious when a flash fails to fire) so did.

I can see your point though. :sits back smugly because I'm perfect!!!:
I Know the nikon flash sytem is pretty narn good but i have had it fail on me a few times, A wedding is one of those things you cant realy reshoot so its gotta be spot on.

Ah! I'm strictly amateur and although I'm certain enough of my abilities to cover a wedding, I also wouldn't cover one for quids! Most of the time, I can get away with just the on board flash but I do have an SB-600 for when I need something more sophisticated.

If anyone's interested, here's some test shots I did with the D800 before I decided to buy one.

Comparative ISO test images. Completely unedited. 14bit RAW exported as JPEG quality12 in Lightroom 4. All camera settings on factory defaults. No post processing whatsoever.

ISO100

ISO200

ISO400

ISO800

ISO1600

ISO3200

ISO6400

ISO12800

ISO25600

If anyone's interested, here's some test shots I did with the D800 before I decided to buy one.

Comparative ISO test images. Completely unedited. 14bit RAW exported as JPEG quality12 in Lightroom 4. All camera settings on factory defaults. No post processing whatsoever.

ISO100

ISO200

ISO400

ISO800

ISO1600

ISO3200

ISO6400

ISO12800

ISO25600

Considering I can still read the text on the small tube, I'd say that was very good for 25k!

I'd have absolutely no problem using that setting.

Thanks for sharing.

Camera RAW and PS.

Which version(s)?

It'd be interesting to see if there is a difference between the latest versions of ACR and Photoshop, plus other software like Lightroom and Aperture, to see if recovery functionality has improved as the software has developed over a period of time.

specialman said:
Which version(s)?

It'd be interesting to see if there is a difference between the latest versions of ACR and Photoshop, plus other software like Lightroom and Aperture, to see if recovery functionality has improved as the software has developed over a period of time.

CS6 & 7.2 (I think).

Your halo will choke you :LOL:

:)

My grandfather's middle name was St George, due to his birthday being St George's day, so I would always put a Halo over the St G. when addressing envelopes to him. After he pointed out that his halo had long since slipped, I took to putting them under the St G. which rather tickled him!

As for my halo, well, I may have had one once upon a time but that time was, as the Star Wars opening credits scroll says, "A long time ago, in a Galaxy far, far away!"

Adding to the thread:

Here's another 25600 shot:

545330_10152269565085305_1900405311_n.jpg

Back