Critique High Key Grebe & Goose

Name
Rich
Edit My Images
Yes
Since these shots went down like a lead balloon in the wildlife section :hungover:, i thought i'd chance my arm in the Creative Section as they have received some complementary comments outside of TP, i'm just not sure the wildlife members on here are seeing them for what they are, which i see is as a piece of art rather than documenting wildlife (please don't take that as a dig at the guys in the wildlife section, as they are a very decent and knowledgeable bunch in there, i just don't think i'm getting the audience i was after by posting them in there)

The lighting was less than flattering when i took these as it was rather dull and overcast, but whilst playing with the sliders in LR i started to approach something resembling a High Key image, so with some more fettling i ended up with these 3 shots

So the question is, do these work or not, any comments and critique greatly appreciated

The original thread can be found here https://www.talkphotography.co.uk/t...rent-great-crested-grebe.582124/#post-6770318 (admin, feel free to remove or merge these threads if i have crossed any lines regarding duplicated posts)

Lone Grebe
by RichPICings, on Flickr

Bad Hair Day

Plump Goose

Hi Rich. I had a look at the original pics in the other thread and as you say they are a little underexposed. I'm a firm believer that there are many ways to tackle a pic. I think what you have done is great. The overexposure of the edges give a great sense of isolation on the first and the little chap seems lost. I like them all but, the first is the most effective for me. Keep it up. I'm sure if you had the perfect conditions then you may not of gone for this type of processing but you'll never always have perfect conditions and I think trying to make something a bit different says that you see something more in these photos than just an underexposure pic. :)

Hi Rich. I had a look at the original pics in the other thread and as you say they are a little underexposed. I'm a firm believer that there are many ways to tackle a pic. I think what you have done is great. The overexposure of the edges give a great sense of isolation on the first and the little chap seems lost. I like them all but, the first is the most effective for me. Keep it up. I'm sure if you had the perfect conditions then you may not of gone for this type of processing but you'll never always have perfect conditions and I think trying to make something a bit different says that you see something more in these photos than just an underexposure pic. :)

Cheers Roger, not a total loss on my part then ;)

New here so didn't like to comment in the other thread until I'd got a handle on what people expect. I like them. Although not the goose so much, not a very attractive angle. Interesting that 'the other' thread thought they were blown out and here they are thought to be underexposed? I take and look at a lot of bird pictures and so many of them are 'just birds', technically good but still 'just birds'; I like to see new things being tried so for me: Well Done!

New here so didn't like to comment in the other thread until I'd got a handle on what people expect. I like them. Although not the goose so much, not a very attractive angle. Interesting that 'the other' thread thought they were blown out and here they are thought to be underexposed? I take and look at a lot of bird pictures and so many of them are 'just birds', technically good but still 'just birds'; I like to see new things being tried so for me: Well Done!

Cheers Roger, this is exactly what i see also, i still love wildlife photography, but i'd like to try and set myself apart from the "norm" on occasion, if you know what i mean ;)

Maybe this is a step to far for those folk who are looking for perfectly represented bird photograph, i suppose i see this as something like a landscape photographer might do to create a minimalist landscape shot of a jetty reaching out into a lake, or a lone tree in a field (i'm sure everyone knows what i mean by this), but i suppose there are some landscape folk who would rather see a perfectly exposed, totally sharp shot rather than some minimalist high key effort

Looks like i have created a piece of Marmite photography then :)

Back