High Key Portrait Attempt

dlh

Name
Darren
Edit My Images
Yes
No story behind this I'm afraid. Wasn't trying for anything when I took what was a snap (showing the gf how the camera worked) but thought it deserved playing with in PS. Used a duplicate layer on multiply to darken the background and then history brush to recover the face and hand. Applied a high key effect (I should read that tutorial!) and cloned out some stray hairs around the mouth, hand and eyes. Shifted the frame over a bit for a more pleasing composition and that's it!

Comments appreciated as always :suspect1:

k800x600.jpg

Wasn't trying for anything when I took what was a snap (showing the gf how the camera worked)
Nice shot.... she don't look like she really gives a damn how it works though. :D

OK, only had 2 mins to play with this & not perfect results as not having original to play with. I've basically played with curves & burned & dodged @ 5% effect as per tutorial I placed. Note shots of blokes work well in B&W showing all lines etc on face, but for the ladies it's best to "dodge" them out, as I have done (your missus will thankyou ;) ). Also increased catch light in the eyes slightly. Hair is completely shot in my image due to post processing perfromed beforehand. I've also bleached too much in the process, so your tones are better.

So advice.....read the tutorial quickly.....definetely use curves & then subtle dodge/burn....& take longer than 2 mins ;) Note everyone has a different view on this subject, so son't take mine as gospel......just play & choose what you & the missus prefer. I await the final cracking shot :)

k800x600copy.jpg

I think this will be a good image to start from. I'm not sure I can comment on true high key technique as I suspect that has to be done in the taking of the photo rather than in PS.

Anyway, I think you need to get her face to glow a bit more. I always think good high key photos tend to have a softness and glow about them which seems to be missing from this initially.

Finally, I think the forehead is slightly blown, but this could be a result of the processing you have done.

HTH :)

DJW: Thanks. I'll have a play tomorrow and run through the tutorial when I have a bit more time. I like what you've done.

Sammy: Agreed, I thought it was glowing until DJW posted his version :) The blown forehead is a result of the PP. I'll see what I can do tomorrow.

Cool, the tutorial is very good. Just try it a few times and see what result you get. I think my attempt at the same is stuck to the end of the tutorial!

Removed until i make a better job of it. Tired eyes don't see so well :innocent:

OK. I was against removing some of the excess neck/chin originally but having played more it does make a lot of difference to the image. I could play with this forever, but I have to stop some time.

k800new.jpg

So much better :) Hint for burning in...use only 5% & start with highlights, then midtone & finally shadows, always moving out to darker areas. Is the missus happy with the shot now ?

She hates any photos of herself. Thinks she looks awful. Think she's pleasantly surprised and this one is definitely going up on the wall next to me :)

Thanks for the tips. I'll be a little more patient next time... :)

excellent final result dlh, really works well and i sure Mrs dlh wil be very happy to have that hung up!

Back