High Key? tips please...

Name
Pete
Edit My Images
Yes
So I thought I'd try first go at high key, spent hours on the net reading conflicting tutorials so in the end thought I'd make it up as I went along.
This is my first attempt, and whilst I am not after critique on pose (which is crap I know) or anything like that, I would appreciate some pointers on lighting / direction of light etc. etc. Any help much appreciated.

Self portrait of a fool! by Pete Vincent, on Flickr

nice work pete :)

I havent tried high-key, but other than a bit of softness on the shoulders, looks good to me, but someone with a bit more experience may have something more constructive to say.

Eyes look really good, Id be pleased with that :)

There is High Key and then there is hammered! This is verging on hammered to be honest. Which is cool but I always think that you learn more form trying to get it right in camera than 'fix' it in post. Not that I'm saying you got this 'wrong' Its just hard to tell.

Have you got the original and what was the lighting set up?

Hi thanks, I'll post the original when I get home. I did adjust contrast and levels, and also cloned some grey out in the background (due to limited space). Also tweaked the eyes. The lighting was softbox above, reflector below, shoot through umbrella to camera right pointing at background with reflector to the left bouncing light to background.
Would you be so kind to explain 'hammered' so I can tone it down perhaps.

It just looks a bit over processed. whites of the eyes are too white. If you whitening the eyes too much much tends to make them look 'flat' and you lose the spherical element of them. Its also uber sharp High pass or something?

Back