High Key / Venture style images

here is my effort

venture_style.jpg

Blast from the past here (I started the thread).

The little girl in the picture has just turned 3 (not quite a moody teenager yet!) and I'm due to do another shoot with here and her younger sister soon.

Hi Everyone

Just came across this thread & had a go.

Have been working on this look for a while with different images - Hope you didn't mind me having a try ...

Sample.jpg

hi everyone.. this is my first post, i have been told that my photography is very VENTURE STYLE so i thought i would share my thoughts with you, i have put a few sample son my flickr account:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/darren_motionlab/

i wanted to share my technique with you as it might help..

i find that most venture image are a combination of posr production and a cool eye for a good crop.

i take all my studio shots with three softboxes two on the subject and one boom soft box lighting the background directly behind it, then use adobe lightroom and photoshop for the post production.

i usually do the over exposure in lightroom as well as the saturation, then to make sure the white BG is white i pop the image in Photoshop CS3 (or4) then work on the background....

what i should do is over expose the BG then light the subject so teh BG is pure white i know, but studio size is mostly the reason that i do it this way as i don't have the space for two more lights.

hope this helps the cause.

Actually, would you mind telling us what you did to go from the original to this one? ...I mean to get the skin tone/colour so perfect. (y)

I put the original one in lightroom and colour corrected it, cooled it to get rid of teh warm colours it had and then messed withthe exposure.. for all those who dont use lightroom ITS A MUST for al photographers (or its equivlant).

i have just put our new website online feel free to have alook
www.northwest-photographer.co.uk

Never seen 'venture' style - but do they produce OoF pics with a yellow cast? Not something I'd aspire too.

p.s. BLACK is the new white! :)

Never seen 'venture' style - but do they produce OoF pics with a yellow cast? Not something I'd aspire too.

p.s. BLACK is the new white! :)

i agree withe black is the new white..... but commercially its not what people want.

http://northwest-photographer.co.uk/

here is my website, a good mix of high and low key photography.. i get asked everyday for high key and only the odd one or two people like low key shots..

but i do agree low key for face shots are amazing, specially with a ring light

D

Here's how I'd probably edit this:

Edit1-catchstories.jpg

Firstly, you'd probably want to sharpen up the images rather than have them looking 'soft' and out of focus, that gives it a very old-fashioned and unappealing look. Also the left side of the image looks too underexposed, especially the eye, so I've also corrected that.

Here's how I'd probably crop it for the end product.
Edit2-catchstories.jpg

Could probably do a lot more if we were working off the original RAW image, or even original JPG image! I'd done quite a bit of editing off simple iphone images, and you'd be surprised what you can achieve!

Great work Christina! But i very much doubt the OP is still working on this image. The thread was started 7 years ago! That baby is probably married with kids by now! (well, not quite, but you know what I mean ;) )

Heh thanks, yes i know :). The thread seems to keep getting revived so I thought I'd give it it's 3-year revival ;). Also interested to see over time how much editing can be done to the same photo!

Back